PDA

View Full Version : The United States

Hagbard Celine
02-21-2007, 05:46 PM
Not "America." We don't hear Germany calling itself "Deutschland auf Europa." We don't hear Mexico calling itself, "Mexico de America." We don't hear China calling itself "The People's Republic of China of Asia." So stop the madness. The country's name is "The United States." Not "Amerricuh." Not "America." Not "merricuh." THE UNITED STATES. Write your congress men and women.

stephanie
02-21-2007, 06:03 PM
:420: :uhoh:

Hobbit
02-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Not "America." We don't hear Germany calling itself "Deutschland auf Europa." We don't hear Mexico calling itself, "Mexico de America." We don't hear China calling itself "The People's Republic of China of Asia." So stop the madness. The country's name is "The United States." Not "Amerricuh." Not "America." Not "merricuh." THE UNITED STATES. Write your congress men and women.

I have always refered to this country as America, and I likely always will. If another country worth a damn suddenly appears on either American continent, I may consider changing that. Until then, insisting that America should not be called America is Hispandering, and I'll no longer go along with it than I will 'undocumented workers.'

CSM
02-21-2007, 06:22 PM
You have got to be kidding me!

READ THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE!!!

Then read the Aricles of Confederation adopted by the Second Continental Congress on 15 November 1777....the name of this nation is The United States of America.

::sheesh::

5stringJeff
02-21-2007, 06:41 PM
You have got to be kidding me!

READ THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE!!!

Then read the Aricles of Confederation adopted by the Second Continental Congress on 15 November 1777....the name of this nation is The United States of America.

::sheesh::

:clap: :clap: :clap:

CSM
02-21-2007, 06:50 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I forgot to mention the Constitution as well....you know...the supreme law of the land...specifically this part:

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Bolding is mine...I don't believe the Founding Fathers would have bolded the original document even if they could have.

stephanie
02-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Another fine example of that good ole publix edumacation, I take it...:tinfoil:

CSM
02-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Another fine example of that good ole publix edumacation, I take it...:tinfoil:

Yeah, you know, those people who know it all and call the rest of us "idiot"...

manu1959
02-21-2007, 06:55 PM
trying so hard to be right and the expense of being correct......

....that should be the liberal motto....

OCA
02-21-2007, 06:56 PM

ROTFLMFAO!

Mr. P
02-21-2007, 06:59 PM
trying so hard to be right and the expense of being correct......

....that should be the liberal motto....

He's young, he's liberal, ill informed, forgive him. One more time. ;)

stephanie
02-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Brainwashed....From that higher edumacation.........Univerceeeti...

Too bad:poke:

Gaffer
02-21-2007, 11:36 PM
If you go to another country what do they call you? American.

Mexicans call us Americans, Canadians call us American. And that's a lot easier than calling us United Statezers.

stephanie
02-21-2007, 11:51 PM
If you go to another country what do they call you? American.

Mexicans call us Americans, Canadians call us American. And that's a lot easier than calling us United Statezers.

:thumb:

SassyLady
02-22-2007, 04:15 AM

Now this is just the dumbest thing I've read in the last century.

Who gives a hairy rats ass what other countries call themselves .........Oooops!! Forgot, the LIBS DO. It's "scandalous" to have national pride........we must level bring ourselves down (Hilary humility) to the level of the remainder of the world and quit calling ourselves "Americans" for criminy sakes!

Haggie .... you never let me down when it comes to proving liberals are stuck in a "group think" mindset.

Hagbard Celine
02-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Now this is just the dumbest thing I've read in the last century.

Who gives a hairy rats ass what other countries call themselves .........Oooops!! Forgot, the LIBS DO. It's "scandalous" to have national pride........we must level bring ourselves down (Hilary humility) to the level of the remainder of the world and quit calling ourselves "Americans" for criminy sakes!

Haggie .... you never let me down when it comes to proving liberals are stuck in a "group think" mindset.

The country's name is the UNITED STATES. America is the continent we live on. And there are other countries living on it too. You're comments claiming not to "care" what other countries think or say is indicative of the decline in class and education that is slowly eating away at the fabric of our society. It's foolish, manifest destiny bullsh*t to call the country "Americuh." And it makes you sound like a hillbilly. Laugh all you want and call me wrong all you want, but it won't change the fact that you all sound like hillbillies.

MtnBiker
02-22-2007, 11:34 AM
A short list of some hillbilly songs;

America The Beautiful - by Katharine Lee Bates http://www.scoutsongs.com/lyrics/americathebeautiful.html

America - Neil Diamond

Living in America - James Brown

God Bless America - Irving Berlin

A short list of some hillbilly movies;

American Pie

Team America

Air America

American Graffiti

So, are all the people involved with the above, praticing in the foolish, manifest destiny bullsh*t to call the country "Americuh"? The use of the word America in all of the the above does refer to the country of The United States of America.

Hagbard Celine
02-22-2007, 11:44 AM
A short list of some hillbilly songs;

America The Beautiful - by Katharine Lee Bates http://www.scoutsongs.com/lyrics/americathebeautiful.html

America - Neil Diamond

Living in America - James Brown

God Bless America - Irving Berlin

A short list of some hillbilly movies;

American Pie

Team America

Air America

American Graffiti

So, are all the people involved with the above, praticing in the foolish, manifest destiny bullsh*t to call the country "Americuh"? The use of the word America in all of the the above does refer to the country of The United States of America.
Just because popular culture has embraced the term doesn't make it correct. If Neil Young jumped off a bridge would you jump too? Jesus.

MtnBiker
02-22-2007, 11:48 AM
So popular culture does pratice in the foolish, manifest destiny bullsh*t to call the country "Americuh"?

Perhaps we should denounce popular culture? Really, what a bunch of hillbillies.

CSM
02-22-2007, 11:50 AM
So popular culture does pratice in the foolish, manifest destiny bullsh*t to call the country "Americuh"?

Perhaps we should denounce popular culture?

Popular culture my ass! ITS IN THE CONSTITUTION!

Hagbard Celine
02-22-2007, 11:50 AM

Perhaps we should denounce popular culture?

Yeah man, everybody's buying into the dream. Why not you too? But I'd like to ask you how many people do you think would be pissed off if Canada suddenly decided to start calling itself "Canada of America?" Hell, every redneck in this country would be up in arms about it and we'd see a 1/2 Hour Canuck Hour on Fox News within a week.

The ClayTaurus
02-22-2007, 11:54 AM
New Mexico is no longer new, nor really Mexican

MtnBiker
02-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Popular culture my ass! ITS IN THE CONSTITUTION!

and the Declaration of Independence

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/declara/images/dunlap.jpg

Hagbard Celine
02-22-2007, 12:00 PM
New Mexico is no longer new, nor really Mexican

Neither is New York. What's your point? :banana:

Hagbard Celine
02-22-2007, 12:01 PM
and the Declaration of Independence

This was written before the "United States" was formed. Therefore it's a non-issue. And I get what you guys are arguing, but you're all still wrong. It's never acceptable to call the country "America" because "of America" is simply a nomenclature stating the United States' geographic location and is part of the formal name of the country. The proper name of our country is the United States or the US. You guys are always arguing for states' rights and saying how states' rights have been and are being undermined, but you're using a moniker to refer to our country that leaves the states out of it. "America" is not a country, but the "United States" is. Get over it and either continue to be wrong and continue to do damage to our commonwealth by popularizing a term that gives strength to the idea that the federal government is the only authority in the land.

MtnBiker
02-22-2007, 12:05 PM
This was written before the "United States" was formed. Therefore it's a non-issue.

You believe that an historical document signed by men that fought in our revolutionary war is a non-issue? Wow!! Do you believe the Constitution is a non issue as well?

The Constitution of the United States of America
We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.preamble.html

Hagbard Celine
02-22-2007, 12:12 PM
You believe that an historical document signed by men that fought in our revolutionary war is a non-issue? Wow!! Do you believe the Constitution is a non issue as well?

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.preamble.html

A "non-issue" as far as this argument is concerned. You know what I meant. Don't be a tool.

jimnyc
02-22-2007, 12:14 PM
What I find offensive, is referring to our great country as "Americuh"

Everyone in the entire world knows that America refers to the good 'ol USA. The term is embraced by almost everybody in our country. We are proud to call ourselves Americans, and people literally die to try and get to our country and do the same. It's part of our history, part of our music, part of our schools, and part of what soldiers have bled for (The American Flag).

I love America, I love the term America, and wouldn't have it any other way.

MtnBiker
02-22-2007, 12:15 PM
A "non-issue" as far as this argument is concerned. You know what I meant. Don't be a tool.

I'm not being a tool, I believe that is part of the argument. People in the founding of this country referred to it as The United States of America. Why do you fail to recognize this?

Hagbard Celine
02-22-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm not being a tool, I believe that is part of the argument. People in the founding of this country referred to it as The United States of America. Why do you fail to recognize this?

I doubt seriously that they called it "America" though. I believe that if you did the research, you'd find that everyone from that time period called it the United States in letters and documents. I think in calling the country "America" you lose something vital about what our country is. Our country is a union of states, each of which has its own identity and set of laws, etc. By calling it "America" it creates an image that isn't entirely accurate and I think that "the US" or "the United States" should be used instead of the term "America" whenever it is possible. I'm all for singers and pop culture to use the term. And I'm all for referring to US citizens as "Americans." I think we've got the monopoly on that one, but I'd like to see more accuracy in nomenclature from our politicians and those who represent us abroad.

MtnBiker
02-22-2007, 12:31 PM
I doubt seriously that they called it "America" though. I believe that if you did the research, you'd find that everyone from that time period called it the United States in letters and documents. I think in calling the country "America" you lose something vital about what our country is. Our country is a union of states, each of which has its own identity and set of laws, etc. By calling it "America" it creates an image that isn't entirely accurate and I think that "the US" or "the United States" should be used instead of the term "America" whenever it is possible. I'm all for singers and pop culture to use the term. And I'm all for referring to US citizens as "Americans." I think we've got the monopoly on that one, but I'd like to see more accuracy in nomenclature from our politicians and those who represent us abroad.

I can appreciate that, good post.

CSM
02-22-2007, 12:34 PM
I can appreciate that, good post.

Actually, the various Founding Fathers used much the same terms we do today...the US, America and Americans. One need only go look at some quotes from Madison, Patrick Henry, etc. to find that out. It is in their letters, documents and recorded conversations.

I guess they were just neocon idiots too.

Hagbard Celine
02-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Actually, the various Founding Fathers used much the same terms we do today...the US, America and Americans. One need only go look at some quotes from Madison, Patrick Henry, etc. to find that out. It is in their letters, documents and recorded conversations.

I guess they were just neocon idiots too.

I never said that. Dems are just as guilty as Repubs of using this term too loosely. I'm determined to change the image you guys have of me. I'm not a damn hippie and I have no delusions about vast rightwing conspiracies or left-wing ones for that matter. You see that picture in my avatar? That's me. I'm just a southern democrat--nothing fancy. Nothing diabolical about me. I love this country and I'm just as patriotic as anyone else.

The ClayTaurus
02-22-2007, 12:44 PM
So what if another set of states united? Could we say we're the United States of America then?

The ClayTaurus
02-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Neither is New York. What's your point? :banana:Think about it. I'll wait. :)

Hagbard Celine
02-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Think about it. I'll wait. :)

Wow. I can't breath for all the smarminess.

The ClayTaurus
02-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Wow. I can't breath for all the smarminess.Do you need to breathe to answer questions? :flameth: I suppose you might... smarminess temporarily retracted.

5stringJeff
02-22-2007, 01:15 PM
So what if another set of states united? Could we say we're the United States of America then?

Like the United States of Indonesia?

Hagbard Celine
02-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Like the United States of Indonesia?

Well, there are the United Arab Emirates.

The ClayTaurus
02-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Like the United States of Indonesia?There you go, ruining my fun again ;)

Sitarro
02-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Well, there are the United Arab Emirates.

Before settling on European Union, the powers at be thought about the United States of Europe.

How about changing our name to Republicland?

Hagbard Celine
02-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Before settling on European Union, the powers at be thought about the United States of Europe.

How about changing our name to Republicland?

How about "Jesusland" or "Wal-Mart-United?"

The ClayTaurus
02-22-2007, 01:25 PM
How about "Jesusland" or "Wal-Mart-United?"Should the United States of Indonesia also just call themselves the United States?

CSM
02-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Well, if things go the way some want them to we might just as well call ourselves Western Europe. The Dems oughta like that!