PDA

View Full Version : Obama's First coming

Pale Rider
02-11-2008, 04:40 AM
Obama's First Coming

Geoff Elliott | February 09, 2008

IT was early 1994 when Nelson Mandela gave a speech in a slum outside Cape Town and spoke in grand terms of a new beginning and how when he was elected president every household would have a washing machine.

People took him literally. A few months later he became South Africa's first black president. That's when clerks in department stores in Cape Town had to turn people away demanding their free washer and dryer.
Having spent some time as a reporter in South Africa watching the Mandela presidency I was reminded of that story this week when I travelled with Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama on the campaign trail.

How does a cult figure, in the eyes of some something akin to a messiah, make the transition to a political frontrunner - president even - where disappointment will soon crush what seemed to be a journey to a promised land?

Looking into the faces of a more than 16,000-strong crowd in a basketball stadium in Hartford, Connecticut this week, the Mandela magic I'd seen before was there too. Black and white, and the youth; they appeared in a state close to rapture watching Obama speak. Here and there one could see women crying and the some men wiping away tears too.

Article continues here... (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23182456-28737,00.html)

Pale Rider
02-11-2008, 04:42 AM
I don't get it.... what are us conservatives missing? Why aren't we in some hypnotic state when obama bin laden speaks?

WHAT IS THE FASCINATION?

Can someone PLEASE explain it to me? :dunno:

PostmodernProphet
02-11-2008, 06:23 AM
isn't it obvious?.....he is the exact opposite of Hillary....He's black, she's white.....he's a man, she's a woman.....he's articulate, she.....

red states rule
02-11-2008, 06:32 AM
Hillary is now in panic mode - once again she is trying to change her image

Clinton seeks to cast herself as underdog vs Obama

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sen. Hillary Clinton, viewed last year as virtually unstoppable in her bid to become the U.S. Democratic presidential nominee, is now seeking to portray herself as the underdog against rival Sen. Barack Obama.

The Clinton campaign has labeled the Illinois senator the "establishment" candidate as she tries to wrest from him the message of a vow to bring change to Washington.

But political analysts saw some irony in the New York senator's effort to seek the status of a challenger to the establishment, given that she has been a household name since her husband, Bill Clinton, ran for president in 1992.

for the complete article

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN1055704120080210

02-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Clinton's in panic mode. there will be no way she will win without pulling out t he super delegates and the democrats are going to feel majorly disenfranchised.

truthmatters
02-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Hes a Hopemonger.

YES WE CAN!

02-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Hes a Hopemonger.

YES WE CAN!

and what happens when hope fails? When hope is placed in an imperfect person, it always does.

truthmatters
02-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Maybe you dont understand what hope means?

hjmick
02-11-2008, 11:54 AM
and what happens when hope fails? When hope is placed in an imperfect person, it always does.

It won't matter, as long as it's not Bush, everything will be better. Didn't you get the memo?

02-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Maybe you dont understand what hope means?

oh i understand the nature of hope very well. when you place your hope in fleeting people or things, you soon become miserable.

02-11-2008, 11:58 AM
It won't matter, as long as it's not Bush, everything will be better. Didn't you get the memo?

i dont think people understand what it can be like. But they will soon enough. Its time to get our houses in order.

truthmatters
02-11-2008, 12:03 PM
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hope

There are those of us who still have hope this county can work towards solving our problems and that there is still an ability for Americans to come together.

It will be much harder with Clinton or McCain in office.

02-11-2008, 12:07 PM
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hope

There are those of us who still have hope this county can work towards solving our problems and that there is still an ability for Americans to come together.

It will be much harder with Clinton or McCain in office.

You dont seem to understand that politicians like Obama have caused the problems

truthmatters
02-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Can you flesh that idea out?

It seems completely baseless to me.

Pale Rider
02-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Can you flesh that idea out?

It seems completely baseless to me.

Would you put a third grader in charge of General Motors? There ya go...

Pale Rider
02-11-2008, 01:16 PM
isn't it obvious?.....he is the exact opposite of Hillary....He's black, she's white.....he's a man, she's a woman.....he's articulate, she.....

You've finally said something without sarcasm that I can fully agree with. You feeling alright?

PostmodernProphet
02-11-2008, 01:36 PM
You've finally said something without sarcasm that I can fully agree with. You feeling alright?

yes, seeing you get an education cheers me up considerably......

Pale Rider
02-11-2008, 02:16 PM
yes, seeing you get an education cheers me up considerably......

There we go... back to normal sarcasm mode.

Trigg
02-11-2008, 02:21 PM
I don't get it.... what are us conservatives missing? Why aren't we in some hypnotic state when obama bin laden speaks?

WHAT IS THE FASCINATION?

Can someone PLEASE explain it to me? :dunno:

He's a great public speaker and speaks with a cadence that keeps people interrested in what he's saying. People leave his speaches feeling good about themselves.

He's basically a motivational speaker.

I think that's why he's doing so well with younger voters. They arn't looking at the issues, they arn't looking at who is a better leader. When they leave his speaches he's made them feel good and that is what they're voting for.

stephanie
02-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Obambam is the first coming of B.S...

sample speech...

Obam-we want change.
peeps...yes we do.
Obam-we can do it.
peeps-yes we can.
Obam-You want meeeee..
peeps-yes we do yes we do yes we do yes we dooooooooooo..

:coffee:

hjmick
02-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Has Obama said anything but “Change!” and “Hope!”? These two words have been the essence of his campaign thus far. No real substance that I can see, yet all the Obama zombies have started to line up for their share of the FlavorAde. Is it all simply a reaction to the historic aspect his nomination holds?

It is really something to see when the herd mentality takes over.

RWpU8sX10_4

stephanie
02-11-2008, 02:41 PM
We've already seen people crying at his speeches...I'm just waiting for swooning and fainting...
They'll have to start handing out smelling salts to everyone who comes to his speeches.....:laugh2:

red states rule
02-12-2008, 06:26 AM
We've already seen people crying at his speeches...I'm just waiting for swooning and fainting...
They'll have to start handing out smelling salts to everyone who comes to his speeches.....:laugh2:

Here is an "interesting" article explaining wht Dem need to go with Obama

Why Democrats must choose Obama
By Clive Crook

Published: February 10 2008 18:10 | Last updated: February 10 2008 18:10

The manager or the visionary. Hillary Clinton’s own supporters – the candidate herself, in speech after speech – have cast the fight this way. Stirred emotions and soaring rhetoric are all very well, goes the line. If that is what you want, vote for Barack Obama. But if you care about getting something done, choose experience, technical expertise and a safe pair of hands.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/4c003b86-d7ff-11dc-98f7-0000779fd2ac,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=htt p%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2F4c003b86-d7ff-11dc-98f7-0000779fd2ac.html&_i_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.realclearpolitics.com% 2F