PDA

View Full Version : Getting our houses in order

02-11-2008, 12:05 PM
I have been thinking that regardless who our leader is, we are going to have rough times ahead. So I was thinking of what we can do to prepare for times of crisis.

Basically, Id like to start a discussion on what you are doing to put yourself in a point where you could survive in emergency. Do you have a 72 hour kit? Do you have an emergency plan? Do you have your debts paid off? etc.

Basically what kind of plans do you have for the future. Share ideas on how to get through tough times.

gabosaurus
02-11-2008, 12:52 PM
My husband and I are invested out the wazoo. Lots of contingency funds and what not.

Also, I would like to recommend a book that someone gave my sister for Christmas. She, in turn, gave one to me.
"When All Hell Breaks Loose" by Cody Lundin.
This guy has traveled the world lecturing on survival skills. The book is incredibly detailed and describes how to make it through situations that I would rather not think about. Do yourself a favor and pick it up.

LiberalNation
02-11-2008, 12:54 PM
None here, no worries tho, let come what will even the best plans can be shattered in an instant.

02-11-2008, 01:21 PM
My husband and I are invested out the wazoo. Lots of contingency funds and what not.

Also, I would like to recommend a book that someone gave my sister for Christmas. She, in turn, gave one to me.
"When All Hell Breaks Loose" by Cody Lundin.
This guy has traveled the world lecturing on survival skills. The book is incredibly detailed and describes how to make it through situations that I would rather not think about. Do yourself a favor and pick it up.

and what happens if the markets crash?

Monkeybone
02-11-2008, 01:33 PM
and what happens if the markets crash?

that is what i was gonna ask. if something that major happens, promised money ain't nothing.

Pale Rider
02-11-2008, 01:45 PM
I have been thinking that regardless who our leader is, we are going to have rough times ahead. So I was thinking of what we can do to prepare for times of crisis.

Basically, Id like to start a discussion on what you are doing to put yourself in a point where you could survive in emergency. Do you have a 72 hour kit? Do you have an emergency plan? Do you have your debts paid off? etc.

Basically what kind of plans do you have for the future. Share ideas on how to get through tough times.

Absolutely. I have three oil lamps and plenty of oil. Candles. A cupboard full of canned goods that I don't touch. Two different battery operated radios and plenty of fresh batteries. Flash lights. First aide kit. I even have a 5500w Generac generator and five gallons of gas on hand.

I'll tell ya, when the first big storm of the high Sierra's hit us and the power went out, had the power remained off for a few days like it did in parts of California, I'd have wheeled my generator up to my patio and I'd have had power. Got a big, lifted 4X4 too that will go just about anywhere.

Trigg
02-11-2008, 02:00 PM

Americans need to start paying off their bills even if there isn't a recession coming, to many people are in debt up to their eyeballs.

As far as an emergency. We're ok with the power off except for running water, which would be a big issue. We have a generator and battery powered sump pump in the basement. Also our stove is gas, so no problem with cooking. We have plenty of flashlights, and oil lamps. I'm not so good in the battery department though, the kids are always taking them for their video games.

Classact
02-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Always have some cash on hand in the house in case of a power outage or something screws up the ATM machines.

Have canned food and crackers and other food items that store well such as dried beans (dried beans suck but they replace meat for protein) along with bottled drinking water. Batteries and radios that work on batteries. A gun for home security. I have emergency water tanks, two 400 gallon tanks with a pumping system. I have a 10KW generator and I just built a 5HP generator that uses a car alternator to charge a battery. From the car battery on the system I can connect a power inverter to run all basic electric in my home.

We used to have hurricanes almost every year until global cooling stopped them but I have survival down pat. There are neighbors in the area where I can buy eggs and chickens if it gets down to that and there are always the fried green bananas.

Edited to add I always keep between five and ten gallons of gas stored in my shop. I use fuel stabilizer brand name Sta-Bil that keeps it fresh for up to two years. The tank on the generators are always full and tested regularly.