PDA

View Full Version : Re: the drug legalization debate

Powerman
02-21-2007, 09:12 PM
How many more drug related shootings will it take for people to realize that drugs being illegal is the cause of much crime?

If drugs are legal, you take the criminal element out of it.

Refer to prohibition if you don't believe me

glockmail
02-21-2007, 09:18 PM
How many more drug related shootings will it take for people to realize that drugs being illegal is the cause of much crime?

If drugs are legal, you take the criminal element out of it.

Refer to prohibition if you don't believe me

As long as you don't legalize guv'mnt health care, I'm all for it. A local judge told me that about 1/2 the crime here is drug related.

Guernicaa
02-21-2007, 09:48 PM
The question is frequently asked (especially by mature stoners). I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the more drugs you legalize (other than alcohol) the more deaths your going to have whether it be from driving while under the influence or doing really stupid things. Personally I see nothing wrong with legalizing weed. It’s about 10 times safer than alcohol...But all the other highly addictive street drugs that can easily be overdosed should remain illegal.

glockmail
02-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Why not just regulate them like alky? If the doses were known there would be few ODs, and users would not be able to drive legally.

pegwinn
02-21-2007, 10:24 PM
So long as T&A is not only legal, but protected by a huge lobby, drug laws are hypocritical.

If you want to sniff, snort, shoot, smoke, drink, etc you should be able to as long as your actions don't harm others. Hell, as long as we live in the land of the free and the home of the taxed...... let the .gov tax em and rake in the dinero. Just like T&A (tobacco and alcohol that is) is illegal for minors, so to with the hard stuff.

If we wanted to get rid of violent drug pushers, then taxation is the way to do it. See Al Capone.

darin
02-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Tits and Ass = Drugs should be legal? :)

glockmail
02-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Tits and Ass = Drugs should be legal? :) LOL! I was thinking the same thing when I started readin it.

Mr. P
02-21-2007, 10:41 PM
It’s time to make MJ legal. The war against it isn’t working at all and never will.

Just last week there was a raid on several homes, 7 I think. The homes were used for nothing but growing MJ. Big homes too, $300k + homes.

I looked into it a bit and found that the MJ growers have moved from growing outside to inside and the majority of the current supply of MJ in the U.S. is produced here in the U.S. from these growers.

Legalize and tax it. Or I'm starting a garden. For personal use of course.

Gunny
02-21-2007, 10:43 PM
So long as T&A is not only legal, but protected by a huge lobby, drug laws are hypocritical.

If you want to sniff, snort, shoot, smoke, drink, etc you should be able to as long as your actions don't harm others. Hell, as long as we live in the land of the free and the home of the taxed...... let the .gov tax em and rake in the dinero. Just like T&A (tobacco and alcohol that is) is illegal for minors, so to with the hard stuff.

If we wanted to get rid of violent drug pushers, then taxation is the way to do it. See Al Capone.

I pretty-much agree. While I don't agree with Obama that weed is 10 times safer than alcohol, I don't much think one is worse than the other.

The argument that there would be more deaths doesn't cut it with me either. IMO, the alcoholics are STILL drinking and driving, and the druggies are already doing it as well.

Legalization and taxation WOULD help curb the criminal element, IMO.

glockmail
02-21-2007, 10:49 PM

Legalize and tax it. Or I'm starting a garden. For personal use of course.
When I was in college evey third room has a closet with the shit growing. :afro:

Mr. P
02-21-2007, 10:59 PM
When I was in college evey third room has a closet with the shit growing. :afro:

I know, but it's come along way baby.:wink2: They pulled over a small moving truck that left from one of the 7 houses that I mentioned, and found 700 plants in the rear.

pegwinn
02-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Tits and Ass = Drugs should be legal? :)

LOL! I was thinking the same thing when I started readin it.

I knew I'd catch someone :eek:

Gunny
02-21-2007, 11:10 PM
I knew I'd catch someone :eek:

Darin's easy to catch ...all you have to do is mention sex, or a close facsimilie thereof!:laugh:

Hobbit
02-21-2007, 11:14 PM
The war on drugs is a waste of time and money. If the goal is to cut drug use, rehab is ten times more cost effective than what we're doing now. The penalties are also way out of line with the crimes. If you're carrying a large amount of cash, the police can assume you're using it for drugs and take it. You have to sue the government and PROVE you weren't going to use it for drugs to get it back. You also have stiffer penalties for buying 100 pills of oxycodone (no matter the reason) under the table than robbing a pharmacist of 50 pills at gunpoint with intent to sell, then shooting the pharmacist.

While I still think using some of these substances should still be illegal, the extent to which it has been criminalized is only matched throwing teenagers behind bars for child molestation for having sex with other teenagers. Either way, what we're doing is not producing the desired results, so it's time to rethink the approach.

02-22-2007, 12:35 AM
How many people have to go to killed before people realize that laws against murder is the cause of so much crime. Without those laws we wouldnt have a crime problem.

Mr. P
02-22-2007, 01:01 AM
How many people have to go to killed before people realize that laws against murder is the cause of so much crime. Without those laws we wouldnt have a crime problem.

I've never seen a law 'cause' a crime...ever.

02-22-2007, 02:07 AM

Can you name me something that is a crime without a law?

glockmail
02-22-2007, 02:43 AM
I know, but it's come along way baby.:wink2: They pulled over a small moving truck that left from one of the 7 houses that I mentioned, and found 700 plants in the rear. Ino. They catch 'em from looking at power bills, then infared.

glockmail
02-22-2007, 02:44 AM
How many people have to go to killed before people realize that laws against murder is the cause of so much crime. Without those laws we wouldnt have a crime problem. Interesting. Try another anolgy maybe.

Powerman
02-22-2007, 03:42 AM
As long as you don't legalize guv'mnt health care, I'm all for it. A local judge told me that about 1/2 the crime here is drug related.

Well like I said, for the most part, I'm libertarian, so obviously I'm against government health care

aka hillary care

Powerman
02-22-2007, 03:59 AM

Well, then you're dumb enough to put your "faith" in lawyers, who are generally the worst people who ever lived.

Or maybe you're just fine with Hammurabi's code?

Steal a loaf of bread, lose an arm, who cares

It's all great in your world right?

BTW I'm terrible with spelling

Mr. P
02-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Can you name me something that is a crime without a law?

Again, a written law does not ‘cause’ crime. It takes an ‘act’ in opposition of the law for a crime to occur.

Hagbard Celine
02-22-2007, 10:26 AM

While I don't know why you would bring healthcare into a legalized drugs debate--it's a non-sequiter--I'd have to agree with your judge about crime and drugs. I've heard before that about 2/3 of all prison inmates are there on drug-related offenses. It just doesn't make sense to make some drugs illegal while other potentially dangerous drugs like tobacco and alcohol are legal and available to all.

Mr. P
02-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Ino. They catch 'em from looking at power bills, then infared.

Wow what timing! I just heard this morning 200 plants were collected at another house north of Atlanta yesterday. I missed the whole report but I think they said other houses were also raided but I missed how many or what they found.

Hagbard Celine
02-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Wow what timing! I just heard this morning 200 plants were collected at another house north of Atlanta yesterday. I missed the whole report but I think they said other houses were also raided but I missed how many or what they found.

Yeah, they got me. :laugh:

Mr. P
02-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Yeah, they got me. :laugh:

Yer South of Atlanta kid. :)

02-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Interesting. Try another anolgy maybe.

Why? its perfectly valid. Illustrating the absurd with the absurd

02-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Again, a written law does not ‘cause’ crime. It takes an ‘act’ in opposition of the law for a crime to occur.

Without the law there wouldnt be a crime to do.

5stringJeff
02-22-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm all for legalizing MJ, but not other hard drugs. MJ, at the very least, has some positive health effects (as does alcohol). Other drugs, like coke or meth, do nothing but screw people up. Also, it is impossible to OD on MJ.

Hagbard Celine
02-22-2007, 11:57 AM

I don't know, I think Mr. P maybe onto something. Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that there would be less drug related "crime" if the substances in question were legal and regulated by an industry or government entity the way alcohol and tobacco are today?

You're right, without the law there wouldn't be a crime "to do." :laugh:

Mr. P
02-22-2007, 12:52 PM

Without air there wouldn’t be any basketballs to inflate either, can you be anymore ridiculous with this no law no crime BS?

Hobbit
02-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Without air there wouldn’t be any basketballs to inflate either, can you be anymore ridiculous with this no law no crime BS?

Yeah, it's pretty stupid to say that legalizing something brings down the crime rate by making a crime a non-crime. However, legalizing a vice, such as drugs, removes a source of revenue from violent criminal organizations. If drugs were legalized, it would be far less common to hear of kids getting gunned down on the streets by competing drug dealers or Colombian drug lords executing entire families for stumbling across their stashes. That part makes sense to me. It's much like how ending prohibition took a lot of wind out of the mob, and the era of tommy gun duels on the highway ended.

02-22-2007, 01:16 PM

Again im pointing out the ridiculousness of the original proposition.

glockmail
02-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Why? its perfectly valid. Illustrating the absurd with the absurd Not really. Murder is a mortal sin based crime, and it severly impacts someone else besides the sinner. Doing drugs is a questionable sin, and in theory has no impact on anyone besides the sinner. That's why I don't think your analogy is appropriate.

glockmail
02-22-2007, 04:49 PM
I don't know, I think Mr. P maybe onto something. Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that there would be less drug related "crime" if the substances in question were legal and regulated by an industry or government entity the way alcohol and tobacco are today?

You're right, without the law there wouldn't be a crime "to do." :laugh:
Are you smokin' a bone in your avatar pic?

Hagbard Celine
02-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Are you smokin' a bone in your avatar pic?

I think it's a cig. Yeah, it's got a filter, it's a cig. Probably a Camel.

glockmail
02-22-2007, 05:26 PM
I think it's a cig. Yeah, it's got a filter, it's a cig. Probably a Camel. Loks like a little bit of brown dye to make it look like a Camel. You look a little too relaxed for a regular smoke. :laugh:

tim_duncan2000
02-22-2007, 07:09 PM
I could sort of understand decriminalization or outright legalization of marijuana, but not drugs like heroin, crack, and especially not meth (assholes and their exploding, toxic labs). Just treat marijuana like alcohol (age limit, not driving under the influence, not causing disturbances, etc).

glockmail
02-22-2007, 07:16 PM
I could sort of understand decriminalization or outright legalization of marijuana, but not drugs like heroin, crack, and especially not meth (assholes and their exploding, toxic labs). Just treat marijuana like alcohol (age limit, not driving under the influence, not causing disturbances, etc).

Legal meth labs would not be toxic or exploding. The'yd be regulated like any other industial activity.

tim_duncan2000
02-23-2007, 07:19 PM
I don't think we need that though. I'd rather have no meth labs, legal or otherwise.

Gaffer
02-23-2007, 07:49 PM
hard drugs are illegal because they kill people. Even if they are legal the users won't be able to afford them without commiting crimes to get the money for them, because being high all the time they won't be able or want to work. So the crime rate there will remain the same. If you regulate the drugs the street sellers just lower their price. Still no taxes paid, just like bootlegging.

The best way to eliminate the drug problem is to shut down the border and give the police a freer hand in arresting and prosecuting drug dealers.