PDA

View Full Version : Environmentalist Against Environmentalist

Sitarro
02-12-2008, 05:48 AM
This is such an asinine law, what a surprise that California would have it on their books. This guy is being ordered to cut down these spectacular Redwoods that have been there a lot longer than his neighbors house because they block his solar panels at certain times of the day. If you look at the photo it's obvious the dick with the panels has plenty of room on his main roof for the ones that are blocked.

Ahhhh, don't trees provide us oxygen?

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_8063034

Sunnyvale homeowners told to cut redwoods that block solar panels
LAW: TREES BLOCKING NEIGHBOR'S SOLAR PANELS MUST BE CUT
By Paul Rogers
Mercury News
Article Launched: 01/24/2008 03:33:12 AM PST

Fisher: Tree-huggers should trump solar-lovers
Talk about a clash of cherished green values.
In a case with statewide significance, the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office is pursuing a Sunnyvale couple under a little-known California law because redwood trees in their backyard cast a shadow over their neighbor's solar panels.
Richard Treanor and Carolynn Bissett own a Prius and consider themselves environmentalists. But they refuse to cut down any of the trees behind their house on Benton Street, saying they've done nothing wrong.
"We're just living here in peace. We want to be left alone," said Bissett, who with her husband has spent $25,000 defending themselves against criminal charges. "We support solar power, but we thought common sense would prevail."
Their neighbor Mark Vargas considers himself an environmentalist, too. His 10-kilowatt solar system, which he installed in 2001, is so big he pays only about $60 a year in electrical bills. He drives an electric car.
Vargas said he first asked Treanor and Bissett to chop down the eight redwoods, which the couple had planted from 1997 to 1999 along the fence separating their yards. Later, he asked them to trim the trees to about 15 feet.

Little-Acorn
02-12-2008, 10:48 AM
What a hoot.

Bissett supports the environmental movement, with all the big-govt coercion it entails. And then she announces "We want to be left alone."??

You can't make this stuff up, folks. :lol:

hjmick
02-12-2008, 10:50 AM
God I hate California. I can't wait to get out of here.

Classact
02-12-2008, 11:19 AM
This is such an asinine law, what a surprise that California would have it on their books. This guy is being ordered to cut down these spectacular Redwoods that have been there a lot longer than his neighbors house because they block his solar panels at certain times of the day. If you look at the photo it's obvious the dick with the panels has plenty of room on his main roof for the ones that are blocked.

Ahhhh, don't trees provide us oxygen?

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_8063034

Sunnyvale homeowners told to cut redwoods that block solar panels
LAW: TREES BLOCKING NEIGHBOR'S SOLAR PANELS MUST BE CUT
By Paul Rogers
Mercury News
Article Launched: 01/24/2008 03:33:12 AM PST

Fisher: Tree-huggers should trump solar-lovers
Talk about a clash of cherished green values.
In a case with statewide significance, the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office is pursuing a Sunnyvale couple under a little-known California law because redwood trees in their backyard cast a shadow over their neighbor's solar panels.
Richard Treanor and Carolynn Bissett own a Prius and consider themselves environmentalists. But they refuse to cut down any of the trees behind their house on Benton Street, saying they've done nothing wrong.
"We're just living here in peace. We want to be left alone," said Bissett, who with her husband has spent $25,000 defending themselves against criminal charges. "We support solar power, but we thought common sense would prevail."
Their neighbor Mark Vargas considers himself an environmentalist, too. His 10-kilowatt solar system, which he installed in 2001, is so big he pays only about $60 a year in electrical bills. He drives an electric car.
Vargas said he first asked Treanor and Bissett to chop down the eight redwoods, which the couple had planted from 1997 to 1999 along the fence separating their yards. Later, he asked them to trim the trees to about 15 feet.I think if you invest in solar you should have the right to the sun exposure that existed when you purchased the system. I think this law is just and similar laws exist across the US and world for that matter.

Environmentalists are often against each other, windmills and birds are an example where environmentalists had windmills torn down because they killed unsuspecting birds during migration. I support hydro electric because it impacts very little on the environment but other environmentalists will fight it in court making it impossible.

America could offer manufactures free electricity if only we could develop hydro electric. And, the man made lakes would offer a wildlife environment supporting wildlife and human recreation that impacts little on the environment.

glockmail
02-12-2008, 11:35 AM
The guy installed the panels after the trees were planted. Am I missing something here?

Nukeman
02-12-2008, 11:44 AM
The guy installed the panels after the trees were planted. Am I missing something here?Yes and no. The trees didn't obstruct his solar array untill they grew too tall.

One of the items left out about this is the fact the Red woods grow ~4 feet a year and take a huge amount of water the people that planted them are not only stopping the solar collectors but are more than likely using more water than they should as well.

Now I personaly believe the guy has enough roof space to MOVE the array but thats just me.....

Nukeman
02-12-2008, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't want a redwood tree next to my house what would happen in a heavy storm with a tree that size falling on your property.

Everyone should have the right to do with their property as they see fit and I don't dispute that, but just like a dead or damaged tree is your responsiblity if it falls on your neighbors property, it seems like the same holds true for shade in California...

glockmail
02-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Yes and no. The trees didn't obstruct his solar array untill they grew too tall..........

Trees grow man- that's what they do. If you are going to invest in a solar panel then plan for the environment that they must exist in. To me it sounds like the guy is shirking his personal responsibility.

Nukeman
02-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Trees grow man- that's what they do. If you are going to invest in a solar panel then plan for the environment that they must exist in. To me it sounds like the guy is shirking his personal responsibility.
I agree but remember I also posted this.....

Now I personaly believe the guy has enough roof space to MOVE the array but thats just me.....

Classact
02-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Yes and no. The trees didn't obstruct his solar array untill they grew too tall.

One of the items left out about this is the fact the Red woods grow ~4 feet a year and take a huge amount of water the people that planted them are not only stopping the solar collectors but are more than likely using more water than they should as well.

Now I personaly believe the guy has enough roof space to MOVE the array but thats just me.....Here is the problem, solar systems must be facing south in CA so according to how the house is oriented limits where the panels must be placed to be efficient. A system large enough to power a house electric requirements usually takes up the entire south surface of the roof.

Orienting solar panels to the south maximizes the effectiveness of energy collection, and most roofs – from flat to 60-degrees – can accommodate photovoltaic cells.
http://solar.coolerplanet.com/Content/PhotovoltaicElectrical.aspx

As the earth rotates the sun moves from East to West and is in the southern portion of a house oriented East West so if there is an obstruction in that path there is no alternative location for the panels to be moved. Putting an obstruction between the sun and the panels would be like a neighbor putting an obstruction between your TV satellite receiver that only moves in one portion of the sky... it just wont work.

Little-Acorn
02-12-2008, 12:12 PM
The whole point here, is the guy's attitude. He has decided that solar panels on his roof are a good thing... and so he is justified in using government coercion to push everyone around, get them out of the way of his "good thing", no matter how much damage is done, no matter if he could have avoided the problems by looking around before he decided to build his solar panels, no matter if other people were doing a "good thing" themselves (redwoods, not being deciduous, block the summer sun and reduce air conditioning bills).

Typical liberal attitude. They know what is best, and will use government to force it on everyone, no matter how much damage it does to the people around them.

hjmick
02-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Judging by the pictures, there seem to be at least two other solar arrays on the roof. This being the case, one must wonder why the issue with this particular section. The shade can't be a hinderance all day. What's so important about this one array? Does it power his hot tub?

glockmail
02-12-2008, 02:47 PM
....Does it power his hot tub? It must power his blow up dolls and jerk-off machines.

Sitarro
02-13-2008, 04:34 AM
Judging by the pictures, there seem to be at least two other solar arrays on the roof. This being the case, one must wonder why the issue with this particular section. The shade can't be a hinderance all day. What's so important about this one array? Does it power his hot tub?

That was my point in the first post, it appears that there are already numerous panels on both sides of the roof and yet there is also a large area not being used. It would appear that he is just being a dick about it. Move the panels to save spectacular trees, seems like a no-brainer to anyone but a hypocrite like the little electric car guy.

I notice that he is the only person with panels on his roof, I wonder if he gets crap from his neighbors about how ugly they make his traditional design house? I like the idea of solar panels but on a home that is designed with them in mind. To slap them on the roof of an Olde English Tudor style home looks as tacky as an old car sitting in the yard. Form should follow function otherwise yuchhhh.

glockmail
02-13-2008, 06:47 AM
The couple is being prosecuted because the shade from the trees overlaps solar panels on their neighbor's trellis. They could move the damn trellis.