PDA

View Full Version : Skydiving

Mr. P
02-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the trill of this sport.
I made five jumps myself, then the fear factor just overcame the thrill and I never jumped again. Odd it took 5 for that to happen, maybe I just came to my senses. :laugh2:

I'm sure Classact has done his share of drops, donno about sport jumps.

Anyone?

Classact
02-12-2008, 10:56 AM
I made five jumps myself, then the fear factor just overcame the thrill and I never jumped again. Odd it took 5 for that to happen, maybe I just came to my senses. :laugh2:

Anyone?Yep, I made 55 jumps during my airborne times but no skydives... I'd love to be able to afford it and if I were I'd skydive.

The fear factor overtook me when I was taking flying lessons and had a bad landing so I can understand the fear factor.

Jumping on static line in the Army was exhilarating especially the large jet aircraft and especially the tailgate jumps when the ass end of the jet opens up and you see other troopers fill the sky behind the plane. I always hated the hours in preparation but from time to time we would jump helicopters and that was close to the skydiving experience without the altitude.

Army jumps range from 1,000 to around 4,000 feet so it just isn't the same as having the chute time as skydiving.

Mr. P
02-12-2008, 11:21 AM
I remember two things vividly about my first jump.

First: was the jump master pointing and saying GO. I just stared at him and time went into slow motion. He said go again and I did, the next thing I knew I was under canopy, my mind totally blacked out my exit. To this day I don't remember the in between part.

Second: was hitting the ground so hard. I never considered that the added weight of the chute would cause such an impact. It sure wasn't like jumping of the 3' platform in practice/training. :laugh2:

#2-5 were much better. All static line though, from a UH-1 at Bragg. I never did get 1 dummy ripcord pull! I think that hurt my confidence and contributed to my stopping.

Classact
02-12-2008, 11:37 AM
I remember two things vividly about my first jump.

First: was the jump master pointing and saying GO. I just stared at him and time went into slow motion. He said go again and I did, the next thing I knew I was under canopy, my mind totally blacked out my exit. To this day I don't remember the in between part.

Second: was hitting the ground so hard. I never considered that the added weight of the chute would cause such an impact. It sure wasn't like jumping of the 3' platform in practice/training. :laugh2:

#2-5 were much better. All static line though, from a UH-1 at Bragg. I never did get 1 dummy ripcord pull! I think that hurt my confidence and contributed to my stopping.In the late 60's the Army used WWII era T-10 parachutes without steering toggles... after a few jumps we built up our confidence and would climb our chutes... the static lines were divided into four groups, two over each shoulder and directing the chute was by pulling down on one of the straps... We would pull the straps down so far that we could put a knee or foot in the direction we wanted to go in a hurry. You could direct the chute to the pickup area and cut a mile walk off the DZ by dumping air out of the half still high.

On landings we would pull a double pull of straps so as your toes hit the ground you could release the straps creating a fake gravity. On windy days we would actually release one side of the chute from the harness so we could let go when we landed so we wouldn't be dragged by the chute. If you got caught releasing a riser before hitting the ground you could be courts marshaled but the T-10's riser releases never functioned well especially full of sand going across the DZ at 20 MPH.

Trigg
02-12-2008, 11:53 AM

Anyone?

Unless I have to, I will never jump out of a perfectly good airplane, and even then someone would probably have to push me. :laugh2:

krisy
02-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Unless I have to, I will never jump out of a perfectly good airplane, and even then someone would probably have to push me. :laugh2:

I'm with you.....except I won't even get on an airplane!!

Mr. P
02-12-2008, 12:13 PM

I said the very same thing. We used to support the sport club with an aircraft and crew every weekend. I saw many faces of fear and many that just couldn't make that leap. It was boredom that got me out there I guess. The people were all interesting as well and few of the club members were on the elite Army Golden Knights team. I was young and single, didn't do bars and such...soooooooo. I don't regret it though it was one hell of a rush!
Tell ya what I don't plan to ever jump again but I'd would before I'LL ever ever bungee jump! Those folks are nuts!:laugh2:

Sitarro
02-12-2008, 01:12 PM
How amazing is it that President Bush still jumps at his age? I know, they're tandem jumps but still, he's 83!

Abbey Marie
02-12-2008, 01:15 PM
How amazing is it that President Bush still jumps at his age? I know, they're tandem jumps but still, he's 83!

Seriously. He must have a strong heart!

Mr. P
02-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Seriously. He must have a strong heart!

Or that adrenalin rush is what keeps er going. :laugh2:

Immanuel
02-12-2008, 01:36 PM
It's funny, but I have no desire to jump. I'd love to fly in a glider. I'd love to hang glide. I've para-sailed. But I just don't want to trust the guy that packs the 'chute that much with my life.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've heard the saying about packing your own 'chute... like I said, I don't trust that guy enough. :D

Immie

Abbey Marie
02-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Or that adrenalin rush is what keeps er going. :laugh2:

Ooh, like an uber-pacemaker! :laugh2:

Mr. P
02-12-2008, 01:57 PM
In the late 60's the Army used WWII era T-10 parachutes without steering toggles... after a few jumps we built up our confidence and would climb our chutes... the static lines were divided into four groups, two over each shoulder and directing the chute was by pulling down on one of the straps... We would pull the straps down so far that we could put a knee or foot in the direction we wanted to go in a hurry. You could direct the chute to the pickup area and cut a mile walk off the DZ by dumping air out of the half still high.

On landings we would pull a double pull of straps so as your toes hit the ground you could release the straps creating a fake gravity. On windy days we would actually release one side of the chute from the harness so we could let go when we landed so we wouldn't be dragged by the chute. If you got caught releasing a riser before hitting the ground you could be courts marshaled but the T-10's riser releases never functioned well especially full of sand going across the DZ at 20 MPH.

I can't remember the model we had at the club. I wanna say T-10 (something like that) but they did have the toggles and were somewhat steerable. I'll have to find that logbook and check.

Just before I stopped jumping I did buy a sport chute from a Sargent in my unit for $50. I never did jump with it. But I did use it for fun.

One windy day I thought it would be fun to get a big piece of cardboard, strap on the chute and skid across the grass. One of my neighbors that was in the Air force at Pope came out and his wife wanted to do it...She weighed all of 90 LBs. We strapped the chute on her and off she went. Everything was great until she got pulled slap-off the cardboard! She was drug about 30 feet before we could catch her! :laugh2:

A few years later I traded the chute for a canoe. I think I made a good trade.

Mr. P
02-12-2008, 02:08 PM
It's funny, but I have no desire to jump. I'd love to fly in a glider. I'd love to hang glide. I've para-sailed. But I just don't want to trust the guy that packs the 'chute that much with my life.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've heard the saying about packing your own 'chute... like I said, I don't trust that guy enough. :D

Immie

I'll tell ya, Immie. I've flown single and twin engine airplanes, jets and helicopters and none come closer to feeling like you're REALLY flying than a glider IMO. I never have done the hang gliding though. Maybe that's even better.

Ooh, like an uber-pacemaker! :laugh2:

I guess. :laugh2:

jackass
02-12-2008, 03:13 PM
I havent yet but I always wanted to. My brother wants to also. Maybe we should do it for his bachelor party???

Hagbard Celine
02-12-2008, 03:15 PM
I've done two and it's awesome.

Trigg
02-12-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm not a big fan of heights. There is no way I would bungee jump and the only way to get me to jump out of a plane would be if it was falling out of the sky.

I like rollercoasters though, I'm securly fastened into them and I can't fall out.:laugh2:

Mr. P
02-12-2008, 06:36 PM
I'm not a big fan of heights. There is no way I would bungee jump and the only way to get me to jump out of a plane would be if it was falling out of the sky.

I like rollercoasters though, I'm securly fastened into them and I can't fall out.:laugh2:

This may surprise you, but most pilots I've known are afraid of heights, myself included. It's more about control, psychologically I think. I'd much rather be at 41 thousand feet in control that on any roller coaster without any at all.

I hate elevators in tall buildings too...NO CONTROL.
I hate flying on an airline....NO CONTROL + I know what goes on in front.:laugh2:

Kathianne
02-12-2008, 06:37 PM
You'll all laugh, but it's something I really wanted to do. Came close, dated a guy with his own plane and we talked about it, he'd jumped many times. I broke up with him to marry Mr. Wonderful.

It's one of those things I know now I'll never do, as the arthritis would alone make it a no no. :laugh2:

Sitarro
02-13-2008, 04:22 AM
I'll tell ya, Immie. I've flown single and twin engine airplanes, jets and helicopters and none come closer to feeling like you're REALLY flying than a glider IMO. I never have done the hang gliding though. Maybe that's even better.

I flew an old, fabric covered, WW2 era glider once. It was a kick in the butt but, I was amazed at how loud it was, the wind noise was pretty intense. I would imagine the modern carbon fiber designs are quieter and much more efficient. The old model didn't have a very good sink rate.:coffee:

Lee~*
02-13-2008, 04:37 AM
I can't remember the model we had at the club. I wanna say T-10 (something like that) but they did have the toggles and were somewhat steerable. I'll have to find that logbook and check.

Just before I stopped jumping I did buy a sport chute from a Sargent in my unit for $50. I never did jump with it. But I did use it for fun.

One windy day I thought it would be fun to get a big piece of cardboard, strap on the chute and skid across the grass. One of my neighbors that was in the Air force at Pope came out and his wife wanted to do it...She weighed all of 90 LBs. We strapped the chute on her and off she went. Everything was great until she got pulled slap-off the cardboard! She was drug about 30 feet before we could catch her! :laugh2:

A few years later I traded the chute for a canoe. I think I made a good trade.

Yep, I agree Mr. P ... I'd much rather jump out of a canoe! :laugh2: Lee~*

Mr. P
02-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Yep, I agree Mr. P ... I'd much rather jump out of a canoe! :laugh2: Lee~*

But then ya get all wet and cold especially this time of year. :laugh2:

Dilloduck
02-13-2008, 10:19 PM
I flew an old, fabric covered, WW2 era glider once. It was a kick in the butt but, I was amazed at how loud it was, the wind noise was pretty intense. I would imagine the modern carbon fiber designs are quieter and much more efficient. The old model didn't have a very good sink rate.:coffee:

I went up in a trainer about 10 years ago out by the lake----sat in front and yanked the release. Felt safer in there than a passenger jet and took the controls for a while----way too fun and expensive to get hooked on. Soaring up on thermals along with a bunch of buzzards was awesome and this baby was quiet !!!!