PDA

View Full Version : Obama Wins VA

Kathianne
02-12-2008, 07:54 PM
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/livecoverage/2008/02/potomac_primary_democrats.html?hpid=topnews

Obama Defeats Clinton in Virginia Primary

By Chris Cillizza
washingtonpost.com Staff Writer

Sen. Barack Obama scored a convincing victory over Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton in Virginia's Democratic presidential primary, an early indicator of a strong showing for the Illinois senator in today's Potomac Primary.

Polls closed in the Commonwealth at 7 p.m. Eastern time.

Virginia was the state in which Clinton, reeling from a staff shakeup and a series of defeats in primaries and caucuses last weekend, had hoped to perform beyond modest expectations.

Obama's win in Virginia bodes well for his chances in Maryland and the District of Columbia, both of which held primaries today. While polls were originally set to close in Maryland at 8 p.m., the closing has been delayed 90 minutes to allow people slowed by inclement weather in the state to cast their ballots. The District of Columbia is still set to shutter its polling places at 8 p.m.

Should Obama sweep the Potomac Primary -- and pick up most of the 168 delegates at stake in the three states -- he will have claimed eight straight contests since Feb. 5th's Super Tuesday votes. He is also well positioned in Wisconsin and Hawaii, both of which vote a week from today.

Clinton once enjoyed front-runner status and led in the race for the 2,025 delegates needed to seal the Democratic nomination. But her campaign has struggled to build momentum after Feb. 5, as national polls have shown Obama pulling into a virtual tie with the New York senator, and Clinton's campaign manager stepping aside less than 72 hours before today's vote.

Independent surveys sponsored by MSNBC and McClatchy over the closing days of the campaign showed Obama with an 18-point lead over Clinton in Maryland. There has been no recent polling in the District. But Obama, the first African American politician with a realistic opportunity of capturing the Democratic presidential nomination, enjoys widespread support among the District's nearly 60 percent black population.

Preliminary exit polling in Maryland and Virginia suggests that the key attribute Democratic primary voters are looking for in a candidate is an ability to bring about change -- results consistent with previous primaries and caucuses. In the past, Obama has done well among voters who say they are seeking fundamental change in politics.

Democrats voting in Maryland and Virginia also say in the exit polling that the economy is the most pressing concern facing the country, just as it has been a top issue for the vast majority of voters taking part in recent caucuses and primaries.

Election officials throughout the region reported potentially record-breaking voter turnout today in the first-ever Potomac Primary as voters seemed eager to take part in one the most closely contested and historic presidential races ever.....

Black Lance
02-12-2008, 10:29 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/campaign_rdp

WASHINGTON - Barack Obama has taken the lead in the race for Democratic delegates for the first time, inching ahead of Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Obama got the boost from newly released results from the Washington state caucus, which was held last Saturday. The state Democratic party said Tuesday night that Obama won 56 of the state's 78 delegates, and Clinton won 26. That gives him 1,186, to 1,181 to Clinton.

He was certain to pick up many more than Clinton from the three contests he won Tuesday.

manu1959
02-13-2008, 01:12 AM
obama 1215

clinton 1190

and without superdelegates

obama 1059

clinton 956

or if you like cbs numbers better...

obama 1242

clinton 1175

02-13-2008, 03:49 AM
So what happens if Obama wins the most primaries and collects the most delegates? how much do you want to bet Clinton rips apart the party to get that nomination?

red states rule
02-13-2008, 06:07 AM
Since when have the Clinton's ever cared what is best for the party or the country?

They only care about what is best for the Clinton's

red states rule
02-13-2008, 06:16 AM
Over at MSNBC, Chris Matthews damn near wet his pants over Obama - and then took a shot at McCain

Matthews: Obama Speech Caused 'Thrill Going Up My Leg'
By Brad Wilmouth | February 13, 2008 - 03:37 ET
During MSNBC's live coverage of Tuesday's presidential primary elections, after the speeches of Barack Obama and John McCain had aired, Chris Matthews expressed his latest over the top admiration for Obama's speaking skills as the MSNBC anchor admitted that Obama's speech created a "thrill" in his leg: "It's part of reporting this case, this election, the feeling most people get when they hear Barack Obama's speech. My, I felt this thrill going up my leg. I mean, I don't have that too often." Minutes later, Brian Williams poked fun at Matthews' confession: "Let's talk about that feeling Chris gets up his leg when Obama talks ... That seems to be the headline of this half hour." (Transcript follows)

At about 10:13 p.m., right after McCain finished his speech, which came after Obama's speech, co-anchor Keith Olbermann remarked that, due to Obama's unusual speaking skills, it was a good idea for any other speaker to speak before the Illinois Democrat instead of after him. Matthews then expressed what he referred to as an "objective assessment" of Obama's speech:

I have to tell you, you know, it's part of reporting this case, this election, the feeling most people get when they hear Barack Obama's speech. My, I felt this thrill going up my leg. I mean, I don't have that too often. No, seriously. It's a dramatic event. He speaks about America in a way that has nothing to do with politics. It has to do with the feeling we have about our country. And that is an objective assessment.

After complimenting Obama for praising McCain's heroism, Matthews delivered a pessimistic assessment of McCain's situation as well as that of the Virginia Republican party:

But I just think that McCain's problem is he's over 70, he's standing there with John Warner, who's much older than him. He's standing with Tom Davis, who's retiring. He looks like an army in retreat in Virginia. That's what it looks like tonight. The Virginia Republican party used to own that state. They could elect people that are not particularly likable. They were able to do that in the past. Now they're having a hard time even fielding a candidate against Mark Warner.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brad-wilmouth/2008/02/13/matthews-obama-speech-caused-thrill-going-my-leg

retiredman
02-13-2008, 06:30 AM
RSR...but why do you care anymore? you have said you won't vote for McCain....

red states rule
02-13-2008, 06:33 AM
RSR...but why do you care anymore? you have said you won't vote for McCain....

I am always to point out the liberal bias of the media, and how they will turn on McCain.

McCain was stupid enough to believe the glowing press coverage, and stupid enought to believe he could work with liberals

retiredman
02-13-2008, 06:35 AM
I am always to point out the liberal bias of the media, and how they will turn on McCain.

McCain was stupid enough to believe the glowing press coverage, and stupid enought to believe he could work with liberals

and your intellectual party is obviously stupid enough to nominate him!:lol:

red states rule
02-13-2008, 06:37 AM
and your intellectual party is obviously stupid enough to nominate him!:lol:

There is a blizzard raging in Hell - we agree on something. Now I know how you felt when you guys went with Kerry

McCain is the only way Obama/Hillary will secure their one term in the WH

Hugh Lincoln
02-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Obama was at the top of the listing for candidates in Va. on the ballot screen. I'm just noting that... conspiracy? Ron Paul was the top Republican. That was even funnier.