PDA

View Full Version : More yurts coming to California

typomaniac
02-12-2008, 08:32 PM
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Campers at South Bay county parks will soon have a warm place to stay during their visit.

The County of Santa Clara Board of Supervisors on Tuesday approved the installation of 24 yurts at five county parks over the next five years, according to the County Parks and Recreation Department.

The yurts will be set up at:

* Mt. Madonna County Park
* Joseph D. Grant County Park
* Sanborn County Park
* Uvas Canyon County Park
* Coyote Lake-Harvey Bear Ranch County Park

Modeled after traditional tents from Mongolia, modern yurts are designed to be comfortable and secure. Each one is built on a wooden platform and has deck and porch, one or two windows, a door and a skylight in the center of the roof.

The 24 yurts will go up in three phases, with most of them completed as soon as 2011.

"We have beautiful parks here in Santa Clara County," said Supervisor Don Gage, chairman of the County’s Housing, Land Use, Environment & Transportation Committee. “This project is one example of how we are improving park facilities to make them even more attractive and user-friendly."

It will cost $32 per night for a yurt rental during the off-season months of October through March. The price goes up to $42 for the busy camping months of April through September. They will each be able to accommodate five people.

The yurts will be grouped together at the parks, giving families better access for group camping. In addition to the deck and skylight, each insulated yurt will also be outfitted with bunk beds, a queen-size futon and a table and chairs.

"Yurts have become very popular around the country," said Supervisor Pete McHugh, chairman of the Board of Supervisors. "They make camping easier for families with small children, older adults, or friends who want a camping experience with less set-up work."

Phase one of the project will bring 13 yurts to Mt. Madonna County Park and three to Grant. In phase two, Sanborn and Uvas will get yurts. The project finishes with five yurts at Coyote Lake-Harvey Bear Ranch County Park.

The project is expected to cost $800,000 and should bring in $1.5 million in revenue over the next 20 years, according to the parks and recreation department.

Source (http://www.nbc11.com/news/15282361/detail.html)

PostmodernProphet
02-12-2008, 08:53 PM
I thought you were telling us Yurt was reproducing.....

typomaniac
02-13-2008, 12:17 AM
I thought you were telling us Yurt was reproducing.....

Reading the article in that context is what makes it funny.

I like the concept of renting a Yurt... :laugh:

hjmick
02-13-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm not sure we need more Yurt's out here...

Yurt
02-13-2008, 12:41 AM
Reading the article in that context is what makes it funny.

I like the concept of renting a Yurt... :laugh:

you couldn't afford me biotch :laugh2:

nice article, i will be making reservations immediately. :cheers2:

Yurt
02-13-2008, 12:43 AM
The 24 yurts will go up in three phases, with most of them completed as soon as 2011.

Source (http://www.nbc11.com/news/15282361/detail.html)

:lol:

only in california would it take that long... its a freakin yurt, you know something that can be set up by nomads

in OR that can put in a whole area of yurts in under year.

hjmick
02-13-2008, 12:44 AM
Sorry Typo...

Off topic...

Yurt, do you ever venture down to Buelton?

Do you like beer?

Yurt
02-13-2008, 12:53 AM
Sorry Typo...

Off topic...

Yurt, do you ever venture down to Buelton?

Do you like beer?

yeah, on my way to SD. routine: early morning pit stop at andersons and mack on the huge ***fresh, barely touched if at all*** cheese ball.

actually went there to a car festival last summer(ish)

beer - yes

hjmick
02-13-2008, 12:58 AM
yeah, on my way to SD. routine: early morning pit stop at andersons and mack on the huge ***fresh, barely touched if at all*** cheese ball.

actually went there to a car festival last summer(ish)

beer - yes

Well, someday we should pay a visit to the Firestone-Walker Brewery and meet in person. They have some damn good beer.

Yurt
02-13-2008, 12:59 AM
Well, someday we should pay a visit to the Firestone-Walker Brewery and meet in person. They have some damn good beer.

have not had firestone, will take you up on the offer

AFbombloader
02-13-2008, 02:48 AM
You should swing through San Louis Obispo and hit the SLO Brewery. Very good as well.
I haven't had Andersons in years! I grew up in Ventura County and we went through Buellton all the time. They have the best split pea soup.

AF:salute:

hjmick
02-13-2008, 10:34 AM
You should swing through San Louis Obispo and hit the SLO Brewery. Very good as well.
I haven't had Andersons in years! I grew up in Ventura County and we went through Buellton all the time. They have the best split pea soup.

Well hot damn, I live in VC. I've been here since the fifth grade.

Yurt
02-13-2008, 11:16 AM

unfortunately slobrewery is no longer here -- new owners, it is now downtown brewery and it sucks. smells like heavy booze, the food has gone down hill and so has the clientel

typomaniac
02-13-2008, 12:19 PM
:lol:

only in california would it take that long... its a freakin yurt, you know something that can be set up by nomads

in OR that can put in a whole area of yurts in under year.

But didn't you read the article? These are MODERN yurts. Which are more comfortable and secure. (Or so they say.) :laugh2: