PDA

View Full Version : Feds charge 3 with firebombing mosque

LiberalNation
02-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Dumbasses.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080213/ap_on_re_us/mosque_fire;_ylt=AoMrD9ALVXdyDrAZ99.U0FhvzwcF

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Three men have been charged in the firebombing of a small mosque over the weekend, federal prosecutors said Tuesday.

Authorities said Eric Ian Baker, 32, Michael Corey Golden, 23, and Jonathan Edward Stone, 19, had planned for a week to burn down the Islamic Center of Columbia, about 40 miles southwest of Nashville, First Assistant U.S. Attorney Paul O'Brian said.

The men are accused of using gasoline, rags and empty beer bottles to set fire to the storefront mosque on Saturday. The men, who were arrested later that day, are facing federal charges of unlawful possession of a destructive device and state charges of arson.

The federal complaint filed against the men says Stone and Baker told officers they were members of the Christian Identity movement, an extreme doctrine that claims white Europeans are God's chosen people.

The complaint also said Baker spray-painted swastikas on the walls of the building, including the phrase "White Power."

When asked if the men could face hate-crime charges, O'Brian said the investigation is continuing and more federal charges could be filed.

Police used surveillance video from a local gas station to identify the suspects.

According to the complaint, Stone said he earned "two stripes" for the act from Baker, who was described as his sponsor in the movement.

"Stone admitted to special agents that he is a member of the Christian Identity movement and that stripes or promotions are earned for committing acts of violence against 'enemies,'" the complaint said.

"Baker explained to the special agents that 'What goes on in that building is illegal according to the Bible,'" the complaint says. "Baker also explained to the agents that the Nazi symbols painted on the building meant 'freedom on the streets.'"

5stringJeff
02-12-2008, 10:27 PM
Of course, the Bible does not instruct Christians to act in this way, but because these guys have "Christian" in their little hate group's name, everyone's going to assume that they are Christian, or that their beliefs are somehow representative of Christian beliefs - which they are not.

LiberalNation
02-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Of course the Koran does not instruct muslims to act in this way but because..........

Pot meet kettle.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
02-12-2008, 10:46 PM
String the little f@CKERS up...it is illegal to burn buildings...and they aggravated their situation by using racist slogans as well (ok....I know the "nazi swastika" was actually an image from ancient times...the Hindus, Mayans and Aztecs had it prominently shown in their art)

What a bunch of turds!!!!

I have no patience for idiots who want to burn shit because of thier beliefs....

hjmick
02-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Of course the Koran does not instruct muslims to act in this way but because..........

Pot meet kettle.

From Al-Baqara (The Cow):

2:190 AND FIGHT in God's cause against those who wage war against you, but do not commit aggression-for, verily, God does not love aggressors.

2:191 And slay them wherever you may come upon them, and drive them away from wherever they drove you away - for oppression is even worse than killing. And fight not against them near the Inviolable House of Worship unless they fight against you there first; but if they fight against you, slay them: such shall be the recompense of those who deny the truth.

2:192 But if they desist-behold, God is much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace.

2:193 Hence, fight against them until there is no more oppression and all worship is devoted to God alone; but if they desist, then all hostility shall cease, save against those who [wilfully] do wrong.

2:194 Fight during the sacred months if you are attacked: for a violation of sanctity is [subject to the law of] just retribution. Thus, if anyone commits aggression against you, attack him just as he has attacked you - but remain conscious of God, and know that God is with those who are conscious of Him.

But Koran does not instruct Muslims to act violently against "infidels." :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, there are plenty more examples of inciting violence against non-believers in the Koran.

hjmick
02-12-2008, 10:58 PM
String the little f@CKERS up...it is illegal to burn buildings...and they aggravated their situation by using racist slogans as well (ok....I know the "nazi swastika" was actually an image from ancient times...the Hindus, Mayans and Aztecs had it prominently shown in their art)

What a bunch of turds!!!!

I have no patience for idiots who want to burn shit because of thier beliefs....

I'm with you on this one G. String them up by their testicles. Better yet, waterboard them everyday for the length of their sentence.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
02-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Not so much in favor of waterboarding in this circumstance, because there is no intelligence to gather from this idiots....otherwise I am fine with it......

LiberalNation
02-12-2008, 11:07 PM
For what it's worth, there are plenty more examples of inciting violence against non-believers in the Koran.

and religious texts have thousands of different interpretation by different faith groups in said religion. You really don't think I could find any violent bible quotes that some Christian groups take to be divine and important.

There are more muslim extremists then christian but that doesn't condemn the whole religion and glorify the other.

hjmick
02-12-2008, 11:29 PM
and religious texts have thousands of different interpretation by different faith groups in said religion. You really don't think I could find any violent bible quotes that some Christian groups take to be divine and important.

There are more muslim extremists then christian but that doesn't condemn the whole religion and glorify the other.

The translation I quoted came from the World Muslim Congress, actually, from their Foundation For Pluralism website. I deliberately steered away from what I thought were biased translations.

That's neither here or there really, just saying...

And you're right, there is violence in The Bible. Though it has been many a year since I read The Bible (one of the many joys of an Agnostic life), I do not recall any instance in which a verse in The Bible called for Christians to kill those who did not believe as they did. Sure, there's killing each other, epic battles, that whole David and Goliath thing, some slavery, and if I remember correctly a touch of incest, but no actual "Kill those Fuckers, they do not worship/believe as you do."

As you can probably tell, I have no real interest in glorifying any religion, I'll leave that to folks who remember more than I do and who actually care. At the same time, I'm not particularly interested in condemning any religion either, who am I to tear down someone's belief system? Hell, I even have a couple of Muslim acquaintances and they seem quite reasonable...so far. Now, if I awake one night and find them holding a knife to my throat I assure I will be re-evaluating my association with them.

All that being said, I can not see where, no matter how the quoted verse is read, anyone can interpret as anything but a call to violence against non-Muslims.

LiberalNation
02-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Shrugs, people can do a lot of things with interpretation. Lots of christian groups just ignore whole swaths of the bible they don't agree with, I'd guess it's the same with Islam.