PDA

View Full Version : the dem controled senate approves spying on the american people...

manu1959
02-13-2008, 12:02 AM
say it isn't so harry and nancy and teddy....

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080213/D8UP3K000.html

By PAMELA HESS

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Senate on Tuesday approved new rules for government eavesdropping on phone calls and e-mails, giving the White House much of the latitude it wanted and granting legal immunity to telecommunications companies that helped in the snooping after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Protection for the telecom companies is the most prominent feature of the legislation, something President Bush had insisted on as essential to getting private sector cooperation in spying on foreign terrorists and other targets. The bill would give retroactive protection to companies that acted without court permission.

The House did not include the immunity provision in a similar bill it passed last year. House Republicans now want to adopt the Senate bill, which would avoid contentious negotiations to work out differences between the competing legislation.

Psychoblues
02-18-2008, 12:46 AM
I don't think the Nancy bunch agreed. Correct me if I am mistaken. The prez is genuinely pissed that our congress will not agree to amnesty for the corporate lawbreakers. He has his opinion and the rest of us have ours. What is yours or are you just trying to stir up some shit?

bullypulpit
02-19-2008, 04:58 PM
say it isn't so harry and nancy and teddy....

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080213/D8UP3K000.html

By PAMELA HESS

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Senate on Tuesday approved new rules for government eavesdropping on phone calls and e-mails, giving the White House much of the latitude it wanted and granting legal immunity to telecommunications companies that helped in the snooping after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Protection for the telecom companies is the most prominent feature of the legislation, something President Bush had insisted on as essential to getting private sector cooperation in spying on foreign terrorists and other targets. The bill would give retroactive protection to companies that acted without court permission.

The House did not include the immunity provision in a similar bill it passed last year. House Republicans now want to adopt the Senate bill, which would avoid contentious negotiations to work out differences between the competing legislation.

The Bill was tabled in the House. The Democrats in the Senate didn't want to take any heat for killing the Bill, so, moral cowards that they are, they passed it off to someone else. Kinda like Bush passing the quagmire in Iraq off to the next administration, being the moral coward that he is.

manu1959
02-19-2008, 05:01 PM
The Bill was tabled in the House. The Democrats in the Senate didn't want to take any heat for killing the Bill, so, moral cowards that they are, they passed it off to someone else. Kinda like Bush passing the quagmire in Iraq off to the next administration, being the moral coward that he is.

i the next group of moral cowards will leave and allow the iraqis to fend for themselves.....can you say rawanda?

hjmick
02-19-2008, 05:18 PM
i the next group of moral cowards will leave and allow the iraqis to fend for themselves.....can you say rawanda?

Rwanda...yes, I can say it. I liken the situation to more of a killing fields of Cambodia type scenario as opposed to Rwanda.

Speaking of Rwanda,

Who was it that not only refused to intervene to save 800,000 people from being hacked to death, but declined to even convene his Cabinet to discuss the crisis?

Who refused to provide jamming aircraft to block Hutu Power radio transmissions that orchestrated the massacres? Who determined that the $8,500-per-hour cost to the United States to be too exorbitant? Even though, since 10,000 Rwandans were being killed each day, the cost came to $20 per life?

Who refused to loan the eight African nations, who, fed up with American inaction to stop the butchery, agreed to send in their own intervention force, 50 armored personnel carriers, instead demanding $15 million, leaving the carriers on a runway in Germany while the United Nations scrambled to find the money? With an average of 334 poor black Africans dying every hour, who would do this?

Just as disgusting is the lack of effort by the current administration to intervene in Darfur. It seems to that if we are going to make it a policy to spread democracy an freedom across the globe, putting an end to genocide would be a good place to start.

Psychoblues
02-20-2008, 02:08 AM
Lets get the fear mongering over with and redirect our attention on the subject at hand. The prez didn't get his way on the corporate protection bill that he wanted. Who'd a thought that?