PDA

View Full Version : Superdelagates for the Party of the Elites

glockmail
02-13-2008, 06:36 AM
With the Democrat Party primary so close, the final tally is likely to be decided by the Superdelegates, which are 800 elites within the party. These are all people who have been "chosen" to have more representation power, by far, than the people that they supposedly represent. One of these Superdelegates is none other than Bill Clinton.

Moreover, the Democrats don't keep an official tally of the "regular" delegates, and the rules for counting them are so arcane that no two national news organizations have the same unofficial total.

Once again, the Democrat(ic) Party is not democratic at all.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173354588842&path=!localnews&s=1037645509099

diuretic
02-13-2008, 06:37 AM
Elites?

Wasn't it Bush who talked about his base as being the "haves and have-mores"?

Or am I not understanding how Americans define "elites"?

red states rule
02-13-2008, 06:40 AM
With the Democrat Party primary so close, the final tally is likely to be decided by the Superdelegates, which are 800 elites within the party. These are all people who have been "chosen" to have more representation power, by far, than the people that they supposedly represent. One of these Superdelegates is none other than Bill Clinton.

Moreover, the Democrats don't keep an official tally of the "regular" delegates, and the rules for counting them are so arcane that no two national news organizations have the same unofficial total.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173354588842&path=!localnews&s=1037645509099

This may be the only way Hillary wil get the nod

To her and Bill, screw the voters. If they are to stupid not to vote for her, she will take the nod away from Obama via the Superdelagates

glockmail
02-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Elites?

Wasn't it Bush who talked about his base as being the "haves and have-mores"?

Or am I not understanding how Americans define "elites"? I'm not sure who said that, or if it was said. What does that have to do with the primary voting system?

glockmail
02-13-2008, 07:00 AM
This may be the only way Hillary wil get the nod

To her and Bill, screw the voters. If they are to stupid not to vote for her, she will take the nod away from Obama via the Superdelagates

Based on the superdelagate polls this is likely to happen. After that we can expect race riots. I still have my Bush/Cheny 04 yard sign stored away so I'll hang that on my front door and keep my family safe. :laugh2:

diuretic
02-13-2008, 07:22 AM
I'm not sure who said that, or if it was said. What does that have to do with the primary voting system?

It was the thread title..."...Party of the Elites". I mean, is there a party of non-elites?

red states rule
02-13-2008, 07:26 AM
Based on the superdelagate polls this is likely to happen. After that we can expect race riots. I still have my Bush/Cheny 04 yard sign stored away so I'll hang that on my front door and keep my family safe. :laugh2:

It will be fun to watch the party of "count every vote" revolt against the Clinton's

What will be better is to watch the Clinton hacks try to spin it to the masses

Black Lance
02-13-2008, 09:27 AM
What makes you think the party will revolt? Chances are that Obama's more vehement supporters will whine, and then vote for Hillary anyways.

theHawk
02-13-2008, 09:54 AM
What makes you think the party will revolt? Chances are that Obama's more vehement supporters will whine, and then vote for Hillary anyways.

Bull, if Hillary steals the nomination in this manner, the blacks will be royally pissed off. Who knows, they may even start to see the Democratic Party as the racist party it is...

Dilloduck
02-13-2008, 09:58 AM
I think the blacks are going to have to wait until Jesse and Al tell them how they are supposed to react to whatever happens

glockmail
02-13-2008, 10:08 AM
It was the thread title..."...Party of the Elites". I mean, is there a party of non-elites?
Yes. We're called Conservatives.

theHawk
02-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Yes. We're called Conservatives.

Well, we don't really have a party. :laugh2:

glockmail
02-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Well, we don't really have a party. :laugh2: It depends on the State. In NY they do- I was an elected official.:laugh2:

JohnDoe
02-13-2008, 12:18 PM
The Democratic Party rules are already in place, since the 1980's when they wrote this reform with super delegates in to their bylaws from what i have read.

There is nothing they can or should do to change the rules regarding superdelegates until this race is over....it would be more of a travesty if they changed rules MIDSTREAM imho.

Hillary is not cheating, no one is cheating if they follow the rules that have been in place for twenty some years...with super delegates in place.

Do I like it? HELL NO...!!!!!

But, it is the way it is and it should not be changed midstream as i had commented.

And i agree with Classact, this could split the party...though i am hearing alot of superdelegates say that they will vote for who is in the majority in the races with the public....and they will not let "the people" down.... so we will see...

Now, i don't think that Obama is as strong as everyone implies....though he is getting much much stronger...he lost alot of primaries and won alot of caucuses....primaries is a vote behind a curtain, in secret, and caucuses is out in the open in front of others, i am not sure if that means something...but it looked like that is where the trend was going....though i think he made headway yesterday...

I wish we had cabinet leaks or vp leaks on both sides of the aisle's candidates to help determine where they will be going with their foreign policy and other domestic things

red states rule
02-13-2008, 12:22 PM
The Democratic Party rules are already in place, since the 1980's when they wrote this reform with super delegates in to their bylaws from what i have read.

There is nothing they can or should do to change the rules regarding superdelegates until this race is over....it would be more of a travesty if they changed rules MIDSTREAM imho.

Hillary is not cheating, no one is cheating if they follow the rules that have been in place for twenty some years...with super delegates in place.

Do I like it? HELL NO...!!!!!

But, it is the way it is and it should not be changed midstream as i had commented.

And i agree with Classact, this could split the party...though i am hearing alot of superdelegates say that they will vote for who is in the majority in the races with the public....and they will not let "the people" down.... so we will see...

Now, i don't think that Obama is as strong as everyone implies....though he is getting much much stronger...he lost alot of primaries and won alot of caucuses....primaries is a vote behind a curtain, in secret, and caucuses is out in the open in front of others, i am not sure if that means something...but it looked like that is where the trend was going....though i think he made headway yesterday...

I wish we had cabinet leaks or vp leaks on both sides of the aisle's candidates to help determine where they will be going with their foreign policy and other domestic things

JD,

I remember Hillary saying how the Electoral Colege should be done away with after the 200 election. She bellowed how the popular viote should rule

NOW, she wants to toss out the popular vote whenshe benfits

Typical of Hillary. Screw the voters - what benefits her is more important

JohnDoe
02-13-2008, 12:26 PM
JD,

I remember Hillary saying how the Electoral Colege should be done away with after the 200 election. She bellowed how the popular viote should rule

NOW, she wants to toss out the popular vote whenshe benfits

Typical of Hillary. Screw the voters - what benefits her is more importantyou can't change the rules of the game midstream...that would be unfair to the game players....

even i am against the electoral college to a certain degree and am absolutely against these super delegate thingy, but it was in the rules, and that is how the game has to be played....that does not make me a hypocrite, as it does not make the Hill a hypocrite either imho, on this issue.

Andddddddd, good afternoon rsr! :)

jd

red states rule
02-13-2008, 12:27 PM
you can't change the rules of the game midstream...that would be unfair to the game players....

even i am against the electoral college to a certain degree and am absolutely against these super delegate thingy, but it was in the rules, and that is how the game has to be played....that does not make me a hypocrite, as it does not make the Hill a hypocrite either imho, on this issue.

Andddddddd, good afternoon rsr! :)

jd

Well, the blizzard is still raging in Hell JD - we agree on another issue

Looks like I am pulling you out from the dark side and bringing you back to real world :laugh2:

glockmail
02-13-2008, 01:14 PM
....i am hearing alot of superdelegates say that they will vote for who is in the majority in the races with the public....and they will not let "the people" down.... so we will see....

Yes we will see. If this is the case then in effect the Superdelegates give up their power. That, of course, is 180 degrees out of sink of why these people became Superdelegates in the first place. So I don't see it happening.

I will, however, be enjoying the fireworks! :coffee:

red states rule
02-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Yes we will see. If this is the case then in effect the Superdelegates give up their power. That, of course, is 180 degrees out of sink of why these people became Superdelegates in the first place. So I don't see it happening.

I will, however, be enjoying the fireworks! :coffee:

Liberals giving up power? Now that would be a first

It will be fun to see the Dems break apart in Denver

glockmail
02-13-2008, 01:23 PM
It will be fun to see the Dems break apart in Denver That would be more entertaining then 10 Supebowls, IMHO. I'll have to plan on full on a new LazyBoy, a big screen, and a cooler full of St. Pauli Girl. Heck I may get so mesmerized I should also plan on a catheter tube to carry the drainage away! :coffee:

red states rule
02-13-2008, 01:25 PM
That would be more entertaining then 10 Supebowls, IMHO. I'll have to plan on full on a new LazyBoy, a big screen, and a cooler full of St. Pauli Girl. Heck I may get so mesmerized I should also plan on a catheter tube to carry the drainage away! :coffee:

I wonder if Denver is worried about possible riots if Hillary steals it away from Obama?

Then, a Pres Hillary can send $100 billion to the city to pay for a $70 billion union contract to rebuild the city

glockmail
02-13-2008, 01:32 PM
I wonder if Denver is worried about possible riots if Hillary steals it away from Obama?

Then, a Pres Hillary can send $100 billion to the city to pay for a $70 billion union contract to rebuild the city
Maybe that's why they are holding it in Denver. Isn't it an all white city?

Trigg
02-13-2008, 02:07 PM

Does anyone know how they pick the superdelegates???????? Also, how on earth did Bill Clinton become one?????????

JackDaniels
02-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Does anyone know how they pick the superdelegates???????? Also, how on earth did Bill Clinton become one?????????

No one individually picks superdelegates. Bill Clinton automatically becomes one because he is a former elected official.

The Democratic Party just has a system where DNC members, former elected officials, etc. get a delegate vote in which they are uncommitted and free...they are not bound by any rules to vote a certain way, only the way they think is right. Many superdelegates have already said they will cast their vote for the candidate which recieves a majority of the vote in their home state...some are still uncommitted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdelegate

JackDaniels
02-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Maybe that's why they are holding it in Denver. Isn't it an all white city?

LOL, no. It's shit like this that is the reason people tend to laugh at you.

50.3% White
34.7 Hispanic
10.6% Black

glockmail
02-13-2008, 04:21 PM
LOL, no. It's shit like this that is the reason people tend to laugh at you.

50.3% White
34.7 Hispanic
10.6% Black

So less than 11% black. Looks like Hillary's got the advantage here. I wonder why the DNC didn't schedule the event for Atlanta?

JohnDoe
02-13-2008, 10:16 PM
So less than 11% black. Looks like Hillary's got the advantage here. I wonder why the DNC didn't schedule the event for Atlanta?

Lean and Mean,

there is no way either Hillary or Obama or anyone in the democratic party could know that this race would be so close between obama and hillary before the first primary....or caucus.

And Hillary nor obama picked the city the convention would be in....all this speculation is fun, about hillary or obama being the ones responsible for all of this mess, but neither of them are, the democratic party has made the messed up decisions that will affect this race, before the race began....

jd

glockmail
02-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Lean and Mean,

there is no way either Hillary or Obama or anyone in the democratic party could know that this race would be so close between obama and hillary before the first primary....or caucus.

And Hillary nor obama picked the city the convention would be in....all this speculation is fun, about hillary or obama being the ones responsible for all of this mess, but neither of them are, the democratic party has made the messed up decisions that will affect this race, before the race began....

jd

Sweet and petite,

You should realize that the Clintons have the Democrat Party firmly in control. Nothing major happens without their blessing.

The real issue here is the elitism that abounds in the Democrat Party. Why else create Superdelegates in the first place if not to circumvent the will of the people in a close race?

glockmail
02-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Barack Obama holds a narrow lead over Clinton in total delegates, 1,272 to 1,231, although Hillary leads in superdelegates, 242 to 156... http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/Carville_Acknowledges_Hil/2008/02/14/72700.html

Its getting interesting! :lol:

Obama 1428
Hillary 1473

theHawk
02-14-2008, 06:52 PM
http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/Carville_Acknowledges_Hil/2008/02/14/72700.html

Its getting interesting! :lol:

Obama 1428
Hillary 1473

Especially if its apparent Hillary is going to lose, and she manages to seat those Michigan and Florida delegates.

Talk about a civil war brewing within the Democratic Party. :laugh2:

glockmail
02-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Especially if its apparent Hillary is going to lose, and she manages to seat those Michigan and Florida delegates.

Talk about a civil war brewing within the Democratic Party. :laugh2: Al Sharpton already has his mobile shakedown wagon warmed up and the motor idling.
:coffee:

retiredman
02-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Al Sharpton already has his mobile shakedown wagon warmed up and the motor idling.
:coffee:

Sharpton does NOT want the Florida and Michigan delegates seated. Julian Bond does.... I will agree that a floor fight will not help the democratic party.

glockmail
02-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Sharpton does NOT want the Florida and Michigan delegates seated. ..... I never said he did. Can't we have an intelligent conversation here without you wandering in with a straw man?

retiredman
02-14-2008, 09:13 PM
I never said he did. Can't we have an intelligent conversation here without you wandering in with a straw man?

Yeah...I went on to agree with you that a floor fight in Denver will be detrimental to my party.... I do not agree with you concerning the omnipotence of the Clintons, however. I know a few super delegates from Maine...two of them are Clinton law school classmates....they are supporting Clinton right now but intend to cast their votes for the leader in elected delegates. I don't think that Bill or Hill will get them to change that position.... they have to come back to Maine, after all.

glockmail
02-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Yeah...I went on to agree with you that a floor fight in Denver will be detrimental to my party.... I do not agree with you concerning the omnipotence of the Clintons, however. I know a few super delegates from Maine...two of them are Clinton law school classmates....they are supporting Clinton right now but intend to cast their votes for the leader in elected delegates. I don't think that Bill or Hill will get them to change that position.... they have to come back to Maine, after all. Billery has very long arms. Most people don't have the fortitude to cross them.

Your Party has a messed up system, and I for one will really enjoy watching it implode. Neither candidate has any qualifications, so its all based on who can wrestle power by stroking elites, making empty promises to the masses, all the while hoping that the economy tanks and the war goes poorly. All mixed in with racism and sexism. :laugh2:

retiredman
02-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Billery has very long arms. Most people don't have the fortitude to cross them.

Your Party has a messed up system, and I for one will really enjoy watching it implode. Neither candidate has any qualifications, so its all based on who can wrestle power by stroking elites, making empty promises to the masses, all the while hoping that the economy tanks and the war goes poorly. All mixed in with racism and sexism. :laugh2:

that is just partisan-fueled cynicism.

I have always respected John McCain and can remember early in 2000 hoping that we, as a nation would be offered the choice of Bradley versus McCain.... two smart guys....but instead we got Gore v. Bush.... neither in the same league. Obama is a smart guy who understands a lot about the issues. He has a track record of reaching out across the aisle...I think he'll do fine.

Dilloduck
02-14-2008, 09:55 PM

I have always respected John McCain and can remember early in 2000 hoping that we, as a nation would be offered the choice of Bradley versus McCain.... two smart guys....but instead we got Gore v. Bush.... neither in the same league. Obama is a smart guy who understands a lot about the issues. He has a track record of reaching out across the aisle...I think he'll do fine.

As a VIP ?

retiredman
02-14-2008, 10:06 PM
As a VIP ?

do you mean VP?

I think he will get the nomination... and hopefully offer the VP position to Richardson...IMHO

glockmail
02-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Hillary’s got little chance against Obama. And if she pulls a Superdelegate trick or manages to add in Florida and Michigan to subvert the will of the people there will be race riots and NONE of the blacks will vote for her. Either way she ain’t the Nom.

I see two possible scenarios for the general election. With Obama in the general election a lot of white racist democrats will stay home or vote for McCain. If McCain manages to get Dr. Rice as his veep it will pull the black women away from the Obama. As long as Mc doesn’t have a Bob Dole moment the GOP is back in the WH (sort of).

nevadamedic
02-14-2008, 10:15 PM

Superdelegates are a great way to screw the voters. Just like the Democrat's to have a system where if they don't agree with what the voters want they can just override them and screw them over.

Typical Liberal Bullshit.

retiredman
02-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Hillary’s got little chance against Obama. And if she pulls a Superdelegate trick or manages to add in Florida and Michigan to subvert the will of the people there will be race riots and NONE of the blacks will vote for her. Either way she ain’t the Nom.

I see two possible scenarios for the general election. With Obama in the general election a lot of white racist democrats will stay home or vote for McCain. If McCain manages to get Dr. Rice as his veep it will pull the black women away from the Obama. As long as Mc doesn’t have a Bob Dole moment the GOP is back in the WH (sort of).

I agree about Obama getting the nod...but his appeal is spreading amongst democrats. He outpolled Hillary with white male voters in Virginia... he outpolled her with WOMEN. He is surging and the crowds are enormous. I think he is a phenomenon that will not be stopped.

Kathianne
02-14-2008, 10:36 PM
I agree about Obama getting the nod...but his appeal is spreading amongst democrats. He outpolled Hillary with white male voters in Virginia... he outpolled her with WOMEN. He is surging and the crowds are enormous. I think he is a phenomenon that will not be stopped.

I don't disagree. Question in realpolitic terms for longterm, is there any 'there' there? That is more than a bit of a question.

retiredman
02-14-2008, 10:45 PM
I don't disagree. Question in realpolitic terms for longterm, is there any 'there' there? That is more than a bit of a question.

I think there is. time will tell.

manu1959
02-14-2008, 10:47 PM

i agree....he will be the dem candidate.....

Kathianne
02-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Billery has very long arms. Most people don't have the fortitude to cross them.

Sad, very sad.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2008/02/superdelegates.html

Superdelegates get campaign cash
Email|Link|Comments (0) Posted by Foon Rhee, deputy national political editor February 14, 2008 03:54 PM

Many of the superdelegates who could well decide the Democratic presidential nominee have already been plied with campaign contributions by Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, a new study shows.

"While it would be unseemly for the candidates to hand out thousands of dollars to primary voters, or to the delegates pledged to represent the will of those voters, elected officials serving as superdelegates have received about $890,000 from Obama and Clinton in the form of campaign contributions over the last three years," the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics reported today.

About half the 800 superdelegates -- elected officials, party leaders, and others -- have committed to either Clinton or Obama, though they can change their minds until the convention.

Obama's political action committee has doled out more than $694,000 to superdelegates since 2005, the study found, and of the 81 who had announced their support for Obama, 34 had received donations totaling $228,000.

Clinton's political action committee has distributed about $195,000 to superdelegates, and only 13 of the 109 who had announced for her have received money, totaling about $95,000....

nevadamedic
02-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Sweet and petite,

You should realize that the Clintons have the Democrat Party firmly in control. Nothing major happens without their blessing.

The real issue here is the elitism that abounds in the Democrat Party. Why else create Superdelegates in the first place if not to circumvent the will of the people in a close race?

Kinda makes you think of the movie The Skulls.

nevadamedic
02-14-2008, 11:22 PM

So your going to vote for Senator McCain eh? it's nice to see you come to your senses for once.

nevadamedic
02-14-2008, 11:25 PM

It's because this guy is a legendary conman. Like I have said before the Democratic Party is being sold a bunch of crap from the worlds biggest fertalizer salesman.

manu1959
02-14-2008, 11:30 PM
It's because this guy is a legendary conman. Like I have said before the Democratic Party is being sold a bunch of crap from the worlds biggest fertalizer salesman.

obama is a fine orator....an intelligent man ....an astute politician....and if i agreed with any of his posistion i would vote for him.....but i don't agree with any of his posistions so i won't vote for him....

red states rule
02-15-2008, 06:09 AM
So your going to vote for Senator McCain eh? it's nice to see you come to your senses for once.

As with the liberal media, and talking heads like Chris Matthews - MM will take out the knives soon enough

McCain will be shocked and will not have a clus as to why they are attacking him

retiredman
02-15-2008, 08:44 AM

no. I will be voting for the democratic nominee. Begrudgingly for Hillary, or enthusiastically for Obama.

retiredman
02-15-2008, 08:45 AM

you are certainly welcome to your opinion. that is the glory of American democracy!

red states rule
02-16-2008, 05:27 AM

Very true

But this from the McCain campaign. Does John believe he can fight and win a PC campaign?

McCain's Top Adviser Won't Campaign Against Obama Open Thread
By NB Staff | February 15, 2008 - 20:35 ET
ABC's "Political Radar" blog reported Wednesday

On Wednesday, a top adviser to John McCain said more definitively than he has in the past that he will step down from the Arizona senator's presidential campaign if the presumed GOP nominee faces Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., in the general election..."I would simply be uncomfortable being in a campaign that would be inevitably attacking Barack Obama," said McCain adviser Mark McKinnon in an interview with NPR's "All Things Considered." "I think it would be uncomfortable for me, and I think it would be bad for the McCain campaign."

If you were McCain, would you fire this man immediately due to his obviously divided loyalties?

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb-staff/2008/02/15/mccains-top-adviser-wont-fight-obama-open-thread

and

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/02/mccain-adviser.html