PDA

View Full Version : A salute to sisters and husbands

gabosaurus
02-13-2008, 01:45 PM
By quirk of fate, my sister and my husband share the same birthday -- today, Feb. 13. Interesting how two of the most important people in my life were born exactly two years apart.

My sister was born four year and one month ahead of me. Fortunately, she has always taken on the role of big sister to me. I learn pretty much everything about growing up from my sister. She made all the mistakes and I learned from them. Congratulated me when I was right and smacked me around when I was wrong. No matter what was going on in her life, the door to her room was never closed.
When I was wallowing in the depths of hell right after going through a nervous breakdown, my sister took time off her job and drove nine hours from Los Angeles to Berkeley. She kicked my butt out of self pity and made me seek help. I might not be alive with her.

I met my now husband when I was 15 and he was 17. I have attempted to screw up our relationship several times since then, but he has refused to get rid of me. When I was wallowing in my previously mentioned breakdown, I tried to dump him. Said and did some horribly regretable things. Instead of tossing me on the side of the road, he married me. What else can I say?

The primary point is -- always be thankful for family. Never underestimate what you have. :)