PDA

View Full Version : Rivals fear the slim chance that says Gore may run again

stephanie
02-22-2007, 05:07 AM
Boy, that would be intresting....Watching Obambam, Shrillery and Bore rip each other to shreads....;)

Tom Baldwin in Washington
Al Gore will be treading the red carpets of Hollywood on Sunday when he attends the Oscars where his climate change film, An Inconvenient Truth, has been nominated for the best documentary award.

But the man whom many Democrats still insist beat George Bush in 2000, is also keeping a toe-hold on the 2008 presidential contest by refusing to rule out, categorically, making another bid for the White House.

When asked — as he is frequently — whether he will stand again, Mr Gore professes exasperation before saying: “I can’t foresee circumstances in which I would.”

This is a similar form of words to those repeatedly used by Michael Heseltine to defuse speculation that he was planning to challenge Margaret Thatcher for the leadership of the Conservative Party — until he did just that.

Mike Feldman, a long-time friend and adviser to Mr Gore, told The Times: “Anybody who knows Al Gore will tell you that he is already involved in a campaign against global warming — and that is the only campaign he is involved in. But it’s right to say he has not closed the door (on the presidency) entirely. He is 58 years old and is not willing to do that just yet.”

Donna Brazile, who ran his last presidential campaign in 2000, last month teasingly told activists that she had not decided who to back for 2008. “Wait till Oscar night,” she said. “I’m dating, I haven’t fallen in love yet.”

Mr Gore has reinvented himself: a wooden performer seven years ago, he is now a passionate and visionary advocate for action against climate change.

And unlike Hillary Clinton, with whom he had a testy relationship in her husband’s White House, he opposed the Iraq War from the outset.

The Rest......
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article1421338.ece