View Full Version : Controlling addiction

CSM
02-22-2007, 09:12 AM
And you thought smoking was bad for society:

China treats Internet ‘addicts’ sternly
Leaders see ‘a grave social problem’; treatment includes electric shocks

By Ariana Eunjung Cha

Updated: 49 minutes ago
DAXING, China - Sun Jiting spends his days locked behind metal bars in this military-run installation, put there by his parents. The 17-year-old high school student is not allowed to communicate with friends back home, and his only companions are psychologists, nurses and other patients. Each morning at 6:30, he is jolted awake by a soldier in fatigues shouting, "This is for your own good!"

Sun's offense: Internet addiction.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17251571/

Please note that in the article, they say that some in the US agree! Won't be long before all you internet junkies will be standing outside with the smokers!

Hobbit
02-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Few countries have been as effective historically in fighting drug and alcohol addiction as China, which has been lauded for its successes, as well as criticized for harsh techniques.

That's because China understands that you can't get results in addiction with kind words and counseling. Weenies run prison rehab here, which is why recidivism is so high.

I also might point out here that the wonderful, culturally diverse people at PMSNBC failed to catch even a basic quirk of the Chinese. In China, your full name is listed with your surname first, followed by your given name. Most Chinese immigrants in America either change their surname or switch the order to avoid confusion (Jet Li's surname is Li), but if you watch, say, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in Chinese with the subtitles, the main character, Li Mu Bai, is called 'Mu Bai' in informal settings. As such, Sun Jiting's name isn't 'Sun.' It's one of only about 100 Chinese surnames (same as the military genius, Sun Tzu). His name is Jiting.

CSM
02-22-2007, 01:38 PM
That's because China understands that you can't get results in addiction with kind words and counseling. Weenies run prison rehab here, which is why recidivism is so high.

I also might point out here that the wonderful, culturally diverse people at PMSNBC failed to catch even a basic quirk of the Chinese. In China, your full name is listed with your surname first, followed by your given name. Most Chinese immigrants in America either change their surname or switch the order to avoid confusion (Jet Li's surname is Li), but if you watch, say, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in Chinese with the subtitles, the main character, Li Mu Bai, is called 'Mu Bai' in informal settings. As such, Sun Jiting's name isn't 'Sun.' It's one of only about 100 Chinese surnames (same as the military genius, Sun Tzu). His name is Jiting.

Cool....but he's still in jail!

Hobbit
02-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Cool....but he's still in jail!

Not jail, rehab. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be in jail than that rehab, but considering how much I nitpicked over the name, I can't be expected to let you get away with that... :P

CSM
02-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Not jail, rehab. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be in jail than that rehab, but considering how much I nitpicked over the name, I can't be expected to let you get away with that... :P

You are such a picker of nits!