PDA

View Full Version : Bottled water 'is immoral'

stephanie
02-17-2008, 12:24 AM
:smoke:

Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 17/02/2008

Drinking bottled water should be made as unfashionable as smoking, according to a government adviser.

"We have to make people think that it's unfashionable just as we have with smoking. We need a similar campaign to convince people that this is wrong," said Tim Lang, the Government's naural resources commissioner.

Bottled water generates upto 600 times more CO2 than tap water

Phil Woolas, the environment minister, added that the amount of money spent on mineral water "borders on being morally unacceptable".

Their comments come as new research shows that drinking a bottle of water has the same impact on the environment as driving a car for a kilometre. Conservation groups and water providers have started a campaign against the £2 billion industry.

A BBC Panorama documentary, "Bottled Water: Who Needs It?", to be broadcast tomorrow says that in terms of production, a litre bottle of Evian or Volvic generates up to 600 times more CO2 than a litre of tap water.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/02/17/eawater117.xml

gabosaurus
02-17-2008, 12:38 AM
Real sweet, considering how many members of the British Parliament smoke. :lmao:

Kathianne
02-17-2008, 12:39 AM
Real sweet, considering how many members of the British Parliament smoke. :lmao:

Do they get the 'exemption' like our Congressional members? I always think it's interesting that those passing laws, especially controlling laws, exempt themselves.

actsnoblemartin
02-17-2008, 12:42 AM
:laugh2: thats a good point, like a parent the government would say do as i say not as i do

JohnDoe
02-17-2008, 12:51 AM
i guess if one really thinks about this, it probably is ok to have a marketing campaign that mocs drinking bottled water as it was for all those bottled water producers did with their marketing campaigns to make us think that bottled water was better for us in some way....thus the multi billion dollar business.

Another issue with bottled water is that it takes from our rivers and reservors that also are the rivers and springs and lakes that supply water to the general public and actually depleting the water available to the general public in some areas of the world....making water available only to those who have money to buy it....things like that, i hate to see happen!

I had not thought of the environmental impact of all of the cost in producing the plastic oil based bottles that house the water....

Or the huge landfills of the bottles as waste....though some can be recycled.

there is something more to this than just envro nuttiness...hahahahaha! imo.

The problem i have with all of this is that it is the gvt doing it... instead of some activist group paying for the campaign against bottled water.

jd

Dilloduck
02-17-2008, 08:27 AM
i guess if one really thinks about this, it probably is ok to have a marketing campaign that mocs drinking bottled water as it was for all those bottled water producers did with their marketing campaigns to make us think that bottled water was better for us in some way....thus the multi billion dollar business.

Another issue with bottled water is that it takes from our rivers and reservors that also are the rivers and springs and lakes that supply water to the general public and actually depleting the water available to the general public in some areas of the world....making water available only to those who have money to buy it....things like that, i hate to see happen!

I had not thought of the environmental impact of all of the cost in producing the plastic oil based bottles that house the water....

Or the huge landfills of the bottles as waste....though some can be recycled.

there is something more to this than just envro nuttiness...hahahahaha! imo.

The problem i have with all of this is that it is the gvt doing it... instead of some activist group paying for the campaign against bottled water.

jd

Conservation groups and water providers have started a campaign against the £2 billion industry.

from the linked article.

JohnDoe
02-17-2008, 09:42 AM
from the linked article.

ahhhh, thank you....and good morning!

I read the first line in the article and didn't make it much farther!

here is what i read that got me a little concerned:

"We have to make people think that it's unfashionable just as we have with smoking. We need a similar campaign to convince people that this is wrong," said Tim Lang, the Government's naural resources commissioner.

MtnBiker
02-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Will this group take the same stance in regard to bottled beer, soda, and reconstitued juices?

What is the major ingredient of those items?

Abbey Marie
02-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Ok, let me get this straight:

Bottled water - immoral, unacceptable.

Abortion - moral, acceptable.

Got it.

gabosaurus
02-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Kind of a stretch, isn't it Abbey?

Abbey Marie
02-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Kind of a stretch, isn't it Abbey?

I can see how it looks that way. I said it because I think that there is a huge overlap of people who are "green" and who are pro-choice. :)

nevadamedic
02-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Bottled watter is just a scam anyways.