PDA

View Full Version : The wonderful German film industry

gabosaurus
02-17-2008, 12:59 AM
My sister is currently in Germany. She is translating for some big shots at the studio where she works as they hold talks with various German film makers.

My sister is as apolitical as they come. But even she can detect political jabs when she sees them.
In Germany, it is expressly forbidden to produce anything that praises or glorifies any aspect of the Hitler era. It is also verboten to compare any German citizen, political figure or business to Nazis.
German filmmakers get around this by comparing the Bush administration to Hitler. Subtly, of course. Apparently no one notices.
Except Americans, of course. Who tend to frown on those inferences.

diuretic
02-17-2008, 02:28 AM
I think the Germans can relax a bit and put this stuff in the past where it belongs. They don't need to keep wincing every time Hitler or Nazis are mentioned. I mean the Japanese are sanguine about their bellicose imperialist regime, sanguine enough to censor school texts and sneak off to shrines to burn some incense to their ancestors and telling the rest of us to kiss their collective arse if we dare bring it up. The Germans could learn a lot from the snotty Japanese reaction.

As for Hitler comparisons with Bush. Too early yet. If he and Cheney leave the White House without a coup then I'd say the comparison is invalid and Godwin's Law will hold up.