PDA

View Full Version : My Most Recent Rant

nevadamedic
02-18-2008, 01:15 AM
The more I think about this issue the madder I get. This has been going through my head for a while and it finally boiled over yesterday.

I don’t know how many of you are familiar with the Brianna Denison case out here. Brianna was a local girl that was abducted out of a friend house on January 20th right by our major University here in Northern Nevada. I have posted articles about it and it has made national headlines. They recovered DNA from the kidnapping scene and it matched a serial rapist who has been attacking women around the University of Nevada Reno for over a year and a half. They had a suspect description from the day they found out the DNA was a match on Brianna’s case with the other assaults. They also had a vehicle description.

Here is where I get pissed. At the press conference yesterday when they announced they found Brianna’s remains the District Attorney announced that there is a hunt going on right now and this guy is the prey. The hunt is now just heating up. Why is it now just becoming a hunt? Why didn’t they make it a hunt after the first two or three women were raped? Does it take a woman to get assaulted and murdered before the police put a ton of resources into something like this?

The second part of this is that they have kept a lid on the first three assaults until Brianna disappeared. The public was not notified or alerted that a serial rapist was on the loose and raping women on and around campus. They also didn’t even tell the college students. One of the victims was assaulted right in the Campus Police Garage. Now Brianna’s friend apparently left the front door unlocked and the guy came right in and got her. Now if people were alerted and told to lock their doors and windows this probably wouldn’t have happened. If people were aware that a serial rapist was preying on women around campus I guarantee that their door would have been locked and Brianna would still be alive today.

None of this makes sense to me and it pisses me off.

diuretic
02-18-2008, 03:37 AM
It does make sense. You mightn't like it but it makes sense. Let me make some points and see where they go:

Why is it now just becoming a hunt? Why didn’t they make it a hunt after the first two or three women were raped? Does it take a woman to get assaulted and murdered before the police put a ton of resources into something like this?

I'm pretty sure the cops would have been looking for the offender in the rapes you mentioned. How they were looking for the offender is a moot point.

It's perfectly reasonable to ask a single detective to investigate a rape.

Perhaps it's still reasonable when there are two rapes, connected by mo and suspect, to assign a couple of detectives to the cases. I think when there are three that it might be time to think about a task force.

But again, if there have been a series of rapes without a serious assault or murder, it's not unreasonable to assume that the suspect is a rapist and not a potential murderer.

If that sounds a bit cold-blooded then, sorry, that's how you have to think when you're dealing with limited resources.

As soon as the suspect rapist became a suspect murderer the whole tone of the investigation changes and, as the saying goes, everything is kicked up - in this case about ten notches.

The second part of this is that they have kept a lid on the first three assaults until Brianna disappeared. The public was not notified or alerted that a serial rapist was on the loose and raping women on and around campus.

This is always difficult. There's a single stranger-type rape reported. It's investigated. Do you put this out as a high-profile story? Do you alert the neighbourhood? Can you risk being labelled a fear-monger? Much wringing of hands in the police department. If you think you have a good suspect that you can lift then you may not. If you have absolutely nothing to go on then it's a good idea to contact the media and alert the neighbourhood. But you still have to be ready to be accused of stirring up public fear.

In terms of safety on campus. I'm not shifting the blame but I would have thought that the administration would already have had in place a lot of information for people living on campus to use to enhance their safety. If there's no information in place then perhaps even common sense could be relied on. If there was a sense of complacency on campus then perhaps the suspect knew this and took advantage of it.

Anyway, other views would be interesting.

chesswarsnow
02-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. But *Americas Most Wanted* has been following up on this story.
2. They have reported this and stirred up some fear to the locals out there.
3. Women are weak, and need to be protected, usually by men, fathers, grand fathers etc.
4. But seeing she wasn't married, she got caught by a horny bastard.
5. And also an evil bastard.
6. His fate is sealed for sure, and I don't see a possibility for redemption.
7. Pray for the soul of Brianna Denison, she was innocent, may her soul rest with the Lord.
8. Police can't be everywhere all the time, and people in this day and age, should already know to lock their doors.
9. To not lock your doors, especially at night, is more or less an invitation for evil to drop on by.
10. Its as old as time, people have always known to lock their doors, thats why man invented doors and locking hardware, to use it.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

nevadamedic
02-18-2008, 01:15 PM
It does make sense. You mightn't like it but it makes sense. Let me make some points and see where they go:

I'm pretty sure the cops would have been looking for the offender in the rapes you mentioned. How they were looking for the offender is a moot point.

It's perfectly reasonable to ask a single detective to investigate a rape.

Perhaps it's still reasonable when there are two rapes, connected by mo and suspect, to assign a couple of detectives to the cases. I think when there are three that it might be time to think about a task force.

But again, if there have been a series of rapes without a serious assault or murder, it's not unreasonable to assume that the suspect is a rapist and not a potential murderer.

If that sounds a bit cold-blooded then, sorry, that's how you have to think when you're dealing with limited resources.

As soon as the suspect rapist became a suspect murderer the whole tone of the investigation changes and, as the saying goes, everything is kicked up - in this case about ten notches.

This is always difficult. There's a single stranger-type rape reported. It's investigated. Do you put this out as a high-profile story? Do you alert the neighbourhood? Can you risk being labelled a fear-monger? Much wringing of hands in the police department. If you think you have a good suspect that you can lift then you may not. If you have absolutely nothing to go on then it's a good idea to contact the media and alert the neighbourhood. But you still have to be ready to be accused of stirring up public fear.

In terms of safety on campus. I'm not shifting the blame but I would have thought that the administration would already have had in place a lot of information for people living on campus to use to enhance their safety. If there's no information in place then perhaps even common sense could be relied on. If there was a sense of complacency on campus then perhaps the suspect knew this and took advantage of it.

Anyway, other views would be interesting.

The moment that two rapes were linked by DNA that makes it a serial rape case and a task force should be assigned. Hell one should be assigned after one rape, but three? Jesus Christ.

Also if this information was made public over a year ago when it happened this wouldn't have happened. They had DNA, a suspect description, a vehicle description etc. They would have found this asshole and at the very least people would know to be on the lookout and take extra safety measures.

Also the campus police department is a joke. They are like deputised security guards.

nevadamedic
02-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But *Americas Most Wanted* has been following up on this story.
2. They have reported this and stirred up some fear to the locals out there.
3. Women are weak, and need to be protected, usually by men, fathers, grand fathers etc.
4. But seeing she wasn't married, she got caught by a horny bastard.
5. And also an evil bastard.
6. His fate is sealed for sure, and I don't see a possibility for redemption.
7. Pray for the soul of Brianna Denison, she was innocent, may her soul rest with the Lord.
8. Police can't be everywhere all the time, and people in this day and age, should already know to lock their doors.
9. To not lock your doors, especially at night, is more or less an invitation for evil to drop on by.
10. Its as old as time, people have always known to lock their doors, thats why man invented doors and locking hardware, to use it.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Women are far from weak.

gabosaurus
02-18-2008, 01:32 PM

My best friend Lauren, a trained kick boxer who once broke a Navy Seal's jaw, would beg to differ with you.
So do the rest of us who have been taught self defense and pressure points.

nevadamedic
02-19-2008, 04:39 AM
My best friend Lauren, a trained kick boxer who once broke a Navy Seal's jaw, would beg to differ with you.
So do the rest of us who have been taught self defense and pressure points.

Pressure points don't always work, and self defense if not done right can cause more problem.