PDA

View Full Version : How Hillary Could Still Win

Kathianne
02-18-2008, 03:31 AM
Hillary rises?

http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/15713512.html

JOHN BRUMMETT: Beware of Hillary now

Never underestimate the Clintons. That's what one of their early close associates reminded me the morning after I'd fallen for the prevailing notion that Hillary was about to lose New Hampshire.

And I will never do so again.

It is true that Clinton has lost now eight primaries or caucuses consecutively to Barack Obama, most by embarrassing margins.

It is true that Obama seems to be mounting not just a campaign, but a movement, and would appear to hold all the vital momentum.

It is true that Obama is now winning white votes, if mostly men and not so many women, and a few Latinos.

It is true Obama won every income group Tuesday in Virginia and Maryland.

It is true that Obama now leads in delegates and that party rules will make it hard for Clinton to make up large chunks. That's unless the superdelegates bail her out, which they can't do until she starts winning somewhere.

You must win congressional districts by large margins to make appreciable gains in delegates. Hillary could use some winner-take-all states right now, but Democrats don't believe in those.

So how could it be that Clinton is not finished, or effectively that?

stephanie
02-18-2008, 05:25 AM
go Hillary go..........:dance:

:laugh2:

Classact
02-18-2008, 06:40 AM
Hillary can only win the Democratic nomination but not the Presidency. She can easily win the nomination, but to do so will break the will of the Obama movement.

Republicans can help her win in Ohio and Texas assuring a big fight in the Democratic convention with no winner but Hillturdly floating to the top.

Logical minds could convince Super Delegates that Republicans and Independents are simply voting for Obama in the primaries and that most of his wins are in Red States causing the Super Delegates to vote for Hill.

Hill could have Obama shot.

flaja
02-18-2008, 10:52 AM
The best thing Hillary can do to win votes is to shoot Bill.

gabosaurus
02-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Hillary could always bring back Willie Horton.

PostmodernProphet
02-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Hillary could still win if she works a deal with Obama that she's president for the next eight years and he gets the eight years after that.....she makes him her VP and she wins on his coat tails.....

Gaffer
02-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Hillary could still win if she works a deal with Obama that she's president for the next eight years and he gets the eight years after that.....she makes him her VP and she wins on his coat tails.....

That's what I'm expecting.

PostmodernProphet
02-18-2008, 03:28 PM
the problem with that is, I believe an ever larger number of Democratic leaders are ready to get rid of the Clintons for good.....they don't want Obama to stop......

Dilloduck
02-18-2008, 06:33 PM
I think Hillary could still win by just waiting for Obama to implode. He has never had this much adoration in his life and I don't think he can handle it. He could very easily get too confident and make a fatal mistake.

Kathianne
02-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Hillary could win via superdelegates, but the conversation is getting heated regarding such. The implosion may not be the candidates, but the party. Lots of stuff on Humphrey being 'annointed' at the convention, followed by loss and the following candidacies of McGovern and Carter. This is the first 'threat' I've seen though, I was a kid in '68, but my uncle was a Chicago PD lieutenant, who had a very bad time there:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18914920

And let me leave you with one more thought: whither the delegates in Michigan and Florida. The DNC warned both states that if they were going to move up their primaries to January, in violation of party rules, they would be stripped of their delegates. Both states knew that but did it anyway, and the DNC sanctioned them. (In retrospect, a dumb move on their part; had they only kept their original dates, both states could have played a crucial role.) Now Michigan and Florida are arguing that their delegates should be seated, and a potential convention fight is in the offing. The Obama people, of course, would love a "do over" — each state could hold a caucus to determine how their delegates would be allocated. The Clinton folks, naturally, want the primary results to count — Hillary Clinton won both states — and so they may take their case to the national party's credential committee sometime in June.

And what if the Democratic nominee were to be decided by the disputed delegates from Michigan and Florida? It might make the protests at the 1968 Chicago convention look like a tea party....

Gaffer
02-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Hillary could win via superdelegates, but the conversation is getting heated regarding such. The implosion may not be the candidates, but the party. Lots of stuff on Humphrey being 'annointed' at the convention, followed by loss and the following candidacies of McGovern and Carter. This is the first 'threat' I've seen though, I was a kid in '68, but my uncle was a Chicago PD lieutenant, who had a very bad time there:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18914920

Let the riots begin. It will show what the dems are really made of.

A guy I knew from school was in the MP's during that riot. They were standing in a line at a park when a girl with flowers in her hair walked up and hit him with a coke bottle. Broke his arm. Peace loving little vipers are what they are.

Kathianne
02-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Let the riots begin. It will show what the dems are really made of.

A guy I knew from school was in the MP's during that riot. They were standing in a line at a park when a girl with flowers in her hair walked up and hit him with a coke bottle. Broke his arm. Peace loving little vipers are what they are.

Yep, it was literally a war zone.

Gaffer
02-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Yep, it was literally a war zone.

Didn't help that the media portrayed them as innocent victims at the hands of the police and military. What I saw on the news and what I was told by people who were there were two completely different stories. Made me go hmmmm.

Kathianne
02-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Didn't help that the media portrayed them as innocent victims at the hands of the police and military. What I saw on the news and what I was told by people who were there were two completely different stories. Made me go hmmmm.

Well not here in Chicagoland. :laugh2: The Trib, which was conservative back then, covered it quite fairly. I was in I think 6th grade, but I remember them saying the police were not trained for what they were encountering, too much force and then not enough support. It certainly was a mess.

Gaffer
02-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Well not here in Chicagoland. :laugh2: The Trib, which was conservative back then, covered it quite fairly. I was in I think 6th grade, but I remember them saying the police were not trained for what they were encountering, too much force and then not enough support. It certainly was a mess.

I was in Calif at the time and had to watch it on the news. They were always showing the police charging into the rioters and using their batons on them. But they never showed what the rioters were doing to provoke it. We couldn't get the Trib so I don't know how they reported things.

The police were not trained at that time in dealing with the situation, but the TV news portrayed them as an evil entity without ever showing what the rioters were doing. It was a year or two later that I got to talk to people that were there and got the real story.

That's when I first became aware of media bias.

Kathianne
02-18-2008, 08:35 PM
I was in Calif at the time and had to watch it on the news. They were always showing the police charging into the rioters and using their batons on them. But they never showed what the rioters were doing to provoke it. We couldn't get the Trib so I don't know how they reported things.

The police were not trained at that time in dealing with the situation, but the TV news portrayed them as an evil entity without ever showing what the rioters were doing. It was a year or two later that I got to talk to people that were there and got the real story.

That's when I first became aware of media bias.

I think that is the strength and weakness of television. Pictures may contain a thousand words, but not always the true ones.

Yurt
02-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Hillary could always bring back Willie Horton.

the ignorance of this statement is appalling

could be you meant the controversy

still, poor choice of words given the personal lives that were fucked by this guy

gabosaurus
02-18-2008, 09:30 PM
I wonder when Ann Coulter is going to start campaigning for Hillary.