PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Obama: "For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country"

Little-Acorn
02-18-2008, 05:39 PM
It never takes long for liberals' real opinion of America to come through. Apparently Barack's wife feels that for the last 20 years at least, America has NOT been a place to be proud of.

And the only difference now? Soon a leftist extremist might be running it. That, and ONLY that, makes it all better.

How typical.

I wonder if her husband feels any differently?

--------------------------------

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2008/02/pride_in_the_na.html

Pride in the name of self-love

Posted by Sasha Issenberg
February 18, 2008 02:17 PM

MILWAUKEE -- So what did Michelle Obama think of the United States before her husband decided he wanted to run the place?

“For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country,” she told a Milwaukee crowd today, “because it feels like hope is making a comeback.”

02-18-2008, 05:47 PM
the only thing she is proud about is that people are actually believing the stuff her husband is pushing.

LiberalNation
02-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Interesting how your source left out the word really in their quote of her. Smear at it's best when you only include one line of a speech and then even screw that one line up.

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=49244

"What we have learned over this year is that hope is making a comeback. It is making a comeback. And let me tell you something -- for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. And I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction and just not feeling so alone in my frustration and disappointment. I've seen people who are hungry to be unified around some basic common issues, and it's made me proud."

Little-Acorn
02-18-2008, 09:12 PM
I just went back to the original article, and found that the word "really" is in it now. However, I did a direct copy/paste of the article when I first posted the article, with no changes, as I always do. The word "really" was not in the original article at the time, and my quote of the source was 100% accurate.

Looks like the original author, Sasha Issenberg of www.boston.com, changed his/her "quote" some time after posting his/her article the first time, inserting the word "really" at a later time. I quoted the article AND the title accurately, as of the time it was posted.

I apologize for using an unreliable source, Sasha Issenberg. THAT will not happen again.

However, I will continue to copy/past exactly accurate quotes from articles, and list their authors, as I did this time and have always done.

LiberalNation
02-18-2008, 09:15 PM
No prob, still means about the same thing but it always makes me suspicious when articles leave out key words when quoting people. Glad they fixed it, I went to your link as well and it wasn’t there earlier.

stephanie
02-18-2008, 09:29 PM
I think her statement is disgusting and think she is one ungrateful witch...I hope it blows up in her and her hubby's face...

Michelle Obambam-a black Tereeeeeeeza Heinz-Kerry...:slap:

gabosaurus
02-18-2008, 09:56 PM
Don't worry Stephanie, you are going to love Liberal America. Take my word for it. :lmao:

Kathianne
02-18-2008, 10:00 PM
I think her statement is disgusting and think she is one ungrateful witch...I hope it blows up in her and her hubby's face...

I think this is a reasonable response from someone who got the quote correct:

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/blogs/index.php/jpodhoretz/2541

She Said What?
John Podhoretz - 02.18.2008 - 17:27

Michelle Obama today said that “for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction.”

Really proud of her country for the first time? Michelle Obama is 44 years old. She has been an adult since 1982. Can it really be there has not been a moment during that time when she felt proud of her country? Forget matters like the victory in the Cold War; how about only things that have made liberals proud — all the accomplishments of inclusion? How about the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1991? Or Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s elevation to the Supreme Court? Or Carol Moseley Braun’s election to the Senate in 1998? How about the merely humanitarian, like this country’s startling generosity to the victims of the tsunami? I’m sure commenters can think of hundreds more landmarks of this sort. Didn’t she even get a twinge from, say, the Olympics?

Mrs. Obama was speaking at a campaign rally, so it is easy to assume she was merely indulging in hyperbole. Even so, it is very revealing.

It suggests, first, that the pseudo-messianic nature of the Obama candidacy is very much a part of the way the Obamas themselves are feeling about it these days. If they don’t get a hold of themselves, the family vanity is going to swell up to the size of Phileas Fogg’s hot-air balloon and send the two of them soaring to heights of self-congratulatory solipsism that we’ve never seen before.

Second, it suggests the Obama campaign really does have its roots in New Class leftism, according to which patriotism is not only the last refuge of a scoundrel, but the first refuge as well — that America is not fundamentally good but flawed, but rather fundamentally flawed and only occasionally good. There’s something for John McCain to work with here.

And third, that Michelle Obama — from the middle-class South Shore neighborhood of Chicago, Princeton 85, Harvard Law 88, associate at Sidley and Austin, and eventually a high-ranking official at the University of Chicago — may not be proud of her country, but her life, like her husband’s, gives me every reason to be even prouder of the United States.

red states rule
02-19-2008, 01:59 PM

Michelle and Barak grew up in America, went tot he finest schools, are in the top 1% of wage earners, her hubby was elected to state office in IL, and is close to securing his parties nomination for President, and only now is she proud of her country?

Typical of a left wing moonbat - bash America every chance you get, and forget how the country gave you the opportunity to make it big so you will have a platform to bash America

truthmatters
02-19-2008, 02:11 PM
I have always been proud of my country just like First lady O.

Now that they are going to be in the white house I am Really proud of my country.

actsnoblemartin
02-19-2008, 02:13 PM
she is a piece of garbage, and is what is wrong with america.

People who hate america and only put her down, if she doesnt like it, dont let the door hit her stupid a$$ on the way out

:fu: MRS Obama

It never takes long for liberals' real opinion of America to come through. Apparently Barack's wife feels that for the last 20 years at least, America has NOT been a place to be proud of.

And the only difference now? Soon a leftist extremist might be running it. That, and ONLY that, makes it all better.

How typical.

I wonder if her husband feels any differently?

--------------------------------

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2008/02/pride_in_the_na.html

Pride in the name of self-love

Posted by Sasha Issenberg
February 18, 2008 02:17 PM

MILWAUKEE -- So what did Michelle Obama think of the United States before her husband decided he wanted to run the place?

“For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country,” she told a Milwaukee crowd today, “because it feels like hope is making a comeback.”

retiredman
02-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Michelle and Barak grew up in America, went tot he finest schools, are in the top 1% of wage earners, her hubby was elected to state office in IL, and is close to securing his parties nomination for President, and only now is she proud of her country?

Typical of a left wing moonbat - bash America every chance you get, and forget how the country gave you the opportunity to make it big so you will have a platform to bash America
there is a difference between being proud and being REALLY proud.

I am always proud of my children. When my son conducted the large chorus for the Christmas performance of the Messiah - and sang the countertenor solos - this past year, I was REALLY proud.

The original post in this thread misquotes her.

red states rule
02-19-2008, 02:22 PM
there is a difference between being proud and being REALLY proud.

I am always proud of my children. When my son conducted the large chorus for the Christmas performance of the Messiah - and sang the countertenor solos - this past year, I was REALLY proud.

The original post in this thread misquotes her.

Why am I not surprised you are defending another lib sliming America?

Here is the video of her insult

http://stoptheaclu.com/archives/2008/02/18/is-michelle-obama-the-next-teresa-heinz-kerry/

retiredman
02-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Why am I not surprised you are defending another lib sliming America?

Here is the video of her insult

http://stoptheaclu.com/archives/2008/02/18/is-michelle-obama-the-next-teresa-heinz-kerry/

she was misquoted. there IS a difference between being proud of your country and being REALLY proud of your country. Do you disagree?

red states rule
02-19-2008, 02:27 PM
she was misquoted. there IS a difference between being proud of your country and being REALLY proud of your country. Do you disagree?

You are such a liberal hack MM - you defended the insults toward our troops -and now you defned the insults against your own country

You are one loyal true blue liberal hack

retiredman
02-19-2008, 02:32 PM
You are such a liberal hack MM - you defended the insults toward our troops -and now you defned the insults against your own country

You are one loyal true blue liberal hack

only you would claim that a woman saying she is really proud of America is somehow insulting America by saying so.

truthmatters
02-19-2008, 02:33 PM
President O scares the crap out of them. They have nothing real to attack them for so they invent things.

The country will not buy it this time.

red states rule
02-19-2008, 02:34 PM
only you would claim that a woman saying she is really proud of America is somehow insulting America by saying so.

She said, very clearly, she was only proud of her country with the political success of her husband

Not proud of her country that gave her and her husband the opprotunities to be in the top1% of eage earners, or attrend the finest schools, and be the envy of the libral media

No, being typical liberals, they find fault with America, and have no problem insutling her - and fellow libs like you give them a pass

After all, you are no carrying the water for her husband, drinking and bathing in Obama Kool Aid

theHawk
02-19-2008, 02:36 PM
So in other words, Michelle Obama has never really been proud of America.

hjmick
02-19-2008, 02:39 PM

No, I'd say those are the exact words. There is no other way to interpret what she said.

theHawk
02-19-2008, 02:40 PM
President O scares the crap out of them. They have nothing real to attack them for so they invent things.

The country will not buy it this time.

The great thing about libs is that we never have to "invent" things to attack them. Their own actions and words do the job for us. :laugh2:

truthmatters
02-19-2008, 02:44 PM
I know understand you peoples reactions to many of my posts.

stephanie
02-19-2008, 02:45 PM
I love that...

Democrats are always-misquoted, misspoke, people are twisting their words..

Everybody heard exactly what Michelle Obambam said, ain't no spinning her way out of that one....:laugh2:

retiredman
02-19-2008, 02:46 PM
She said, very clearly, she was only proud of her country with the political success of her husband

Not proud of her country that gave her and her husband the opprotunities to be in the top1% of eage earners, or attrend the finest schools, and be the envy of the libral media

No, being typical liberals, they find fault with America, and have no problem insutling her - and fellow libs like you give them a pass

After all, you are no carrying the water for her husband, drinking and bathing in Obama Kool Aid

she said she was REALLY proud because of what has transpired recently.

Do you really suggest that there is no difference between the phrase
"I am proud of you"
and
"I am really proud of you"?

retiredman
02-19-2008, 02:48 PM
I love that...

Democrats are always-misquoted, misspoke, people are twisting their words..

Everybody heard exactly what Michelle Obambam said, ain't no spinning her way out of that one....:laugh2:

I guess, for those who want something to rant about, you're now well equipped. congratulations.

soundbite over substance once again!

hjmick
02-19-2008, 02:49 PM

But that's not what she's saying. She stated that now, now that her husband is running for President, now that he is being embraced by the American public, now, for the first time in her adult life, she is proud of America, proud of her country. Really? There has been nothing in the last twenty five years that made her proud of her country? Not all the financial aid to impoverished nations? Not all of the medical and emergency aid the U.S. doles out to countries that suffer tragic natural disasters? Nothing? Are you kidding me?

Her words can only be interpreted one way. Only her husband’s run for president has made her proud of America. This is terribly narcissistic and self-centered. Sad really.

retiredman

but she most certainly has always been proud of America.

red states rule

"I am proud of you"
and

Yea, MM the same way Sen Durbin really did not compare our troops to Pol Pot and Nazi's

I posted a link to the vido - she said it MM

You are to big a liberal hack to admit it

Monkeybone
I know understand you peoples reactions to many of my posts.

now TM. you now understand.

and for the reactions to your post, if you actually read what you were posting and made sense along with proper grammar and spelling, then ppl wouldn't call ya a moron and what not.

Monkeybone
02-19-2008, 02:51 PM
have to agree with Hjmick. if she hadn't said that it was the first time in her adult life, then i could see the twisting. but she makes it pretty clear.

retiredman
02-19-2008, 02:52 PM
have to agree with Hjmick. if she hadn't said that it was the first time in her adult life, then i could see the twisting. but she makes it pretty clear.

go read post 12

stephanie
02-19-2008, 02:52 PM
I guess, for those who want something to rant about, you're now well equipped. congratulations.

soundbite over substance once again!

You should know all about that..

And their was no substance with Barry O, he is nothing but soundbites, and it's coming round to bite him now...not my fault they make it so easy...:laugh2:

truthmatters
02-19-2008, 02:54 PM
What percent of the population do you really think is going to believe that first lady O hates America because she said she is really proud of her country for the first time in her adult life for voting for president O and for working for change?

Do you really think anyone other than right wing haters are going to buy that?

I haver never seen an election like this one , I haver never seen a candidate like this one. I have republican friends who are voting for Obama. They also see the hope of YES WE CAN!

retiredman
02-19-2008, 02:54 PM
You should know all about that..

And their was no substance with Barry O, he is nothing but soundbites, and it's coming round to bite him now...not my fault:laugh2:

again...get your undies in a bunch over a misquote.

I love how THIS becomes this incrediblly important issue....better that, than the war and the economy, I guess.

Will you even bother to show your face here after the election when democrats sweep everything?

Monkeybone
02-19-2008, 02:56 PM
ah, my bad. i take that back.

but would she have said this if they weren't winning or even tied? or would she have done a guilt trip cuz nobody likes the black man and wants to keep him down

Gaffer
02-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Wonder how proud she will be when he loses?

retiredman
02-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Wonder how proud she will be when he loses?

I am sure she will be proud to be an American then, just as she is now.

I bet she'll be REALLY proud when he wins.

Monkeybone
02-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Will you even bother to show your face here after the election when democrats sweep everything?

have to because it is inevitable....inievitible...inev....gonna happen for sure.

retiredman
02-19-2008, 02:59 PM
ah, my bad. i take that back.

but would she have said this if they weren't winning or even tied? or would she have done a guilt trip cuz nobody likes the black man and wants to keep him down

let's misquote her...and then, when that doesn't work, let's put words in her mouth.

good ploy

stephanie
02-19-2008, 03:00 PM
again...get your undies in a bunch over a misquote.

I love how THIS becomes this incrediblly important issue....better that, than the war and the economy, I guess.

Hey...I survived 8yrs of the Billy boys whitehouse, I suppose I'll do the same again...I'll just have more jokes during it...:laugh2:

Monkeybone
02-19-2008, 03:01 PM
let's misquote her...and then, when that doesn't work, let's put words in her mouth.

good ploy

that ain't what i was doing. was just a thought. (if you were referring to the what she might've said otherwise..)

retiredman
02-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Hey...I survived 8yrs of the Billy boys whitehouse, I suppose I'll do the same again...I'll just have more jokes during it...:laugh2:

I am sure you will. only this time they'll be colored jokes. nice.

truthmatters
02-19-2008, 03:04 PM
The republican party will blow it big when they go to attack President Obama. They will destroy their party by saying something really blatent.

manu1959
02-19-2008, 03:05 PM

good ploy

stephanie
02-19-2008, 03:06 PM

I didn't say anything about color..since you mentioned it, it must be on your mind...

Won't have to worry about that anyway...Barry doesn't stand a chance of winning...the Clinton machine is coming out in full swing as we speak...I guess he'll have to try again in four yrs...:cheers2:

manu1959
02-19-2008, 03:06 PM
The republican party will blow it big when they go to attack President Obama. They will destroy their party by saying something really blatent.

the only people that seem focused on race and gender are those on the left....

retiredman
02-19-2008, 03:07 PM

good ploy

where did I misquote anyone?

theHawk
02-19-2008, 03:09 PM
This is quite hilarious seeing the libs defend what Michelle said. FoxNews is bringing on libs to defend it. Its like watching Wile E. Coyote in action.

retiredman
02-19-2008, 03:21 PM
This is quite hilarious seeing the libs defend what Michelle said. FoxNews is bringing on libs to defend it. Its like watching Wile E. Coyote in action.

molehill - built on a misquote....

but DO try to run it into the ground....it only shows the republican's sweaty desperation.

glockmail
02-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Dream on. Meanwhile you ignore that the Democrat Party has already done that. :lol:

hjmick
02-19-2008, 03:36 PM
where did I misquote anyone?

Where has Michelle Obama been misquoted? Except for the initial omission of the word "really," are her words not accurate? The word "really" does not effectively change what was said or how it is interpreted. Perhaps one could argue that until the success of her husband's Presidential campaign, she was only a little proud of her country and now she is really proud, but it still doesn't sound good and comes across as, as I stated before, narcissistic and self-centered.

Kind of a Sally Field moment: "They like me...they really like me..."

In this day of instant news, one must be cognisant of how their words will be received and interpreted.

truthmatters
02-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Bomb , bomb , bomb Iran.

Little-Acorn
02-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Fox News has the original video up. Michelle Obama did not use the word "really" The original quote is accurate.

However, she did begin to use a word that seemed to start with R, then seemed to cut herself off, and continue with the rest of the line. It came out, "For the first time in my adult life, I'm ri__ proud of my country."

Maybe she meant to say "really". Why did she cut off her own word, if that's what it was? But the fact is, she didn't say, "For the first time in my adult life, I'm really proud of my country".

She was not misquoted... except by people who claim she DID say "really proud".

manu1959
02-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Bomb , bomb , bomb Iran.

is your point.....mccain is an idiot....michelle is as big an idiot as mccain....since it is okay for mccain to be an idiot then michelle can be an idiot.....or are you using bad behaviour to justify bad behaviour....

theHawk
02-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Bomb , bomb , bomb Iran.

Put head in the sand, put head in the sand, put head in the sand, there is no Iran.

manu1959
02-19-2008, 06:04 PM

"I am proud of you"
and

if you told your son that "for the first time in your life i am really proud of you"

you are saying that prior to this he was a fuck up.....

just watched both clips.....she didn't use really in the first speech and then used it in the second speech....

Yurt
02-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Don't worry Stephanie, you are going to love Liberal America. Take my word for it. :lmao:

http://www.johnniemoore.com/images/liberal.jpg

Yurt
02-19-2008, 06:17 PM

"I am proud of you"
and

do you really understand english? do you really think the adverb makes a real difference?

assuming she meant to say "really" -- do you really think you know the context? which one is it really:

1. Actually; in fact; in reality.
He really is a true friend.

2. (colloquial, as an intensifier) Very (modifying an adjective); very much (modifying a verb). But ma, I really, really want to go to the show!

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/really

manu1959
02-19-2008, 06:19 PM
do you really understand english? do you really think the adverb makes a real difference?

assuming she meant to say "really" -- do you really think you know the context? which one is it really:

2. (colloquial, as an intensifier) Very (modifying an adjective); very much (modifying a verb). But ma, I really, really want to go to the show!

the first time she said the line she did not use really.....the second time she used the line she used really.....guess her handlers got to her.....

Yurt
02-19-2008, 06:20 PM
the first time she said the line she did not use really.....the second time she used the line she used really.....guess her handlers got to her.....

really?

theHawk
02-19-2008, 06:25 PM

"I am proud of you"
and

molehill - built on a misquote....

but DO try to run it into the ground....it only shows the republican's sweaty desperation.

Actually I just saw the video, she did NOT say "really." The CSPAN broadcast seemed to have a hickup right at that point, but when Fox played the footage, she said did not say it at all.

So now, the question is....are YOU now going to admit that saying "For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country" means that you've never been proud to be an American?

Yurt
02-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Actually I just saw the video, she did NOT say "really." The CSPAN broadcast seemed to have a hickup right at that point, but when Fox played the footage, she said did not say it at all.

So now, the question is....are YOU now going to admit that saying "For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country" means that you've never been proud to be an American?

maybe she was proud in her child life

:laugh2:

manu1959
02-19-2008, 06:38 PM
really?

really!

Yurt
02-19-2008, 06:43 PM
really!

stephanie
02-19-2008, 06:58 PM
I don't know what it is about the spouses of Democrats who are running for President...

It used to be common, they pretty much kept low profile...

But today, you'd think they are running for Co-President or something..and that's when they OPEN MOUTH INSERT FOOT....

Way too fun and funny...:dance:

Dilloduck
02-19-2008, 08:09 PM
maybe she was proud in her child life

or she used to fake it ? :laugh2:

retiredman
02-19-2008, 08:40 PM

I think that #2 is a reasonable definition of what she meant to say. was it perhaps hyperbole? Sure. Can I imagine that she has been - at some level - proud of her country most all the time between 1985 and today? Yes I can. (I know that I personally have always been proud to be an American, but there have been some days when I wasn't very proud of what we, as a country, were involved in) Can I imagine that she actually has been REALLY proud of her country more times than this one time since 1985? Sure. Can I imagine that, when compared to today, those other times might pale in comparision. Absolutely. Do I think it is hilarious that the right wants to make this a big deal and paint Michelle Obama out to be a woman who slimes America? Hilarious and way too predictable.

Dilloduck
02-19-2008, 08:47 PM
I think that #2 is a reasonable definition of what she meant to say. was it perhaps hyperbole? Sure. Can I imagine that she has been - at some level - proud of her country most all the time between 1985 and today? Yes I can. (I know that I personally have always been proud to be an American, but there have been some days when I wasn't very proud of what we, as a country, were involved in) Can I imagine that she actually has been REALLY proud of her country more times than this one time since 1985? Sure. Can I imagine that, when compared to today, those other times might pale in comparision. Absolutely. Do I think it is hilarious that the right wants to make this a big deal and paint Michelle Obama out to be a woman who slimes America? Hilarious and way too predictable.

It would be absolutely un-american for our two parties to not nit pick each other to death. Particularly during a presidential election. It's a great show if you don't take it seriously. :popcorn:

manu1959
02-19-2008, 08:49 PM
It would be absolutely un-american for our two parties to not nit pick each other to death. Particularly during a presidential election. It's a great show if you don't take it seriously. :popcorn:

i really think this is a good observation.....

retiredman
02-19-2008, 09:08 PM

that is, unfortunately, right on the mark.

would that it weren't so.

Yurt
02-19-2008, 09:33 PM
=manfrommaine;204135]I think that #2 is a reasonable definition of what she meant to say. was it perhaps hyperbole? Sure.

correct. tho, you never state with proof, that she exactly meant #2. your interpretation is nice, but it doesn't equate to authority.

Can I imagine that she has been - at some level - proud of her country most all the time between 1985 and today? Yes I can.

you IMAGINE? hahahahahahhahaha

(I know that I personally have always been proud to be an American, but there have been some days when I wasn't very proud of what we, as a country, were involved in)

we aren't talking about you

Can I imagine that she actually has been REALLY proud of her country more times than this one time since 1985? Sure.

:lmao::lmao:

Can I imagine that, when compared to today, those other times might pale in comparision. Absolutely. Do I think it is hilarious that the right wants to make this a big deal and paint Michelle Obama out to be a woman who slimes America? Hilarious and way too predictable.

you should stop imagining things, you are harming this country

:)

retiredman
02-19-2008, 09:36 PM
I wish there were a YAWN smilie.

again... a mountain out of a mole hill.

Yurt
02-19-2008, 09:38 PM
I wish there were a YAWN smilie.

again... a mountain out of a mole hill.

= i give up