PDA

View Full Version : System Worries Clinton Backers

red states rule
02-19-2008, 06:24 AM
The Hillary camp is now very worried and is pointing to the system of awarding delegates as to why Hillary may have a bad night in Texas

snip

Supporters of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton are worried that convoluted delegate rules in Texas could water down the impact of strong support for her among Hispanic voters there, creating a new obstacle for her in the must-win presidential primary contest.

Several top Clinton strategists and fundraisers became alarmed after learning of the state's unusual provisions during a closed-door strategy meeting this month, according to one person who attended.

What Clinton aides discovered is that in certain targeted districts, such as Democratic state Sen. Juan Hinojosa's heavily Hispanic Senate district in the Rio Grande Valley, Clinton could win an overwhelming majority of votes but gain only a small edge in delegates. At the same time, a win in the more urban districts in Dallas and Houston -- where Sen. Barack Obama expects to receive significant support -- could yield three or four times as many delegates.

for the complete article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/17/AR2008021702461.html

Classact
02-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Yes I saw this on the news, it seems that even in the Hispanic districts the representation of delegates is based on the turnout of 04-06, which was low and as a result the delegates will be reduced.

Maybe some Republicans will cross over and vote for Hillary so there can be a real Debate in the city of Denver as to who should be the nomination. You think Rodney King caused street trouble... streets across America and Africa will be in flames.

retiredman
02-19-2008, 08:13 AM
I personally think that Barack will put her away today and on March 4th and the superdelegates will bow to the will of the majority.

Black Lance
02-19-2008, 08:31 AM
I'm hoping that she is crushed in Texas and has to give an angry/whiny campaign speech in which she quits the primaries. My I-pod broke last week, and I could use some new music for my ears.

Dilloduck
02-19-2008, 08:41 AM
I live in the arguably most liberal metropolis in Texas. Austin democrats are eerily silent as to who they prefer but the few tidbits I can pick up seem to reflect an edge to Obama and scorn for Hiilary.

Classact
02-19-2008, 08:41 AM
I personally think that Barack will put her away today and on March 4th and the superdelegates will bow to the will of the majority.Watching CSPAN this morning a caller from Wisconsin called in and said she was Republican but would vote for Obama so she could help kill Hillary once and for all and then vote for McCain for the real election. I think this has happened a lot and will continue in Texas... but, to me I think it would be better to vote for Hillary now and McCain later... why, because it would force the super delegates to decide who will run for the Democrats causing them a late start and half of the party being disappointed.