PDA

View Full Version : Metals

Classact
02-19-2008, 11:28 AM
I've been watching metal prices on CNBC for a while now and they are going strait up in price... Gold, Silver, Platinum and Copper... I'm not really sure why the prices are spiking but I did notice that the key medals were dropping when everyone was talking about recession.

Anyway, the reason I brought it up is to bring it to your attention as a way of making money. Brass also is at its highest price and all of these metals are common across America and are often overlooked for their value. For example all old faucets are made of brass and may be worth more as scrap than they were when purchased... often people look at a delta faucet and see chrome and think it is iron with a chrome electroplate but it is in fact brass... I was at the recycle site talking to the guy about how prices were going up and I mentioned to him that he should put some copper and brass off to the side and hold it... he laughed and said he has a secret lot where he is stockpiling his copper and brass and only sells enough to cover his purchase price...

If I were in the US I would go to farm auctions or even old farm homes with sheds looking for some antique engines... many old farmhouse washing machines had gas engines and some of these engines have solid brass flywheels mounted externally that are often painted looking like a pile of rust in the corner of a shed... even old tools have large quantities of brass because it was easy to work with... some of these finds could be worth hundreds of dollars and could be for the taking of an outlay of only a couple of dollars. Think if copper is bid at $3.70 a pound today means brass is at least that price as scrap... If you collect these metals and hold them they could gain over 10% in value every year... copper was less than $2.55 this time last year.

manu1959
02-19-2008, 11:30 AM
as the dollar falls metal prices rise.....actually as the dollar falls everything gets more expensive...

Mr. P
02-19-2008, 12:25 PM
The last time I was at the local recycling place the guy in front of me had a load of unused copper tubes and pipe. They still had the UPC stickers on them. It was more lucrative to sell them as scrap than return them to the store for a refund. I think he left with $450.

I know there have been some problems with midnight requisitions of copper from new construction sites do to the price.

gabosaurus
02-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Speaking of metal, Iron Maiden is playing tonight in Los Angeles. One of my all-time favorite bands. I wish I could go, but I have a class. :(

glockmail
02-19-2008, 01:30 PM
The last time I was at the local recycling place the guy in front of me had a load of unused copper tubes and pipe. They still had the UPC stickers on them. It was more lucrative to sell them as scrap than return them to the store for a refund. I think he left with $450.

I know there have been some problems with midnight requisitions of copper from new construction sites do to the price.
We always have to hire security to keep tabs on construction sites after the elictricians have rough-wired the buildings. Or else the thieves will strip out the building.

MtnBiker
02-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Speaking of metal, Iron Maiden is playing tonight in Los Angeles. One of my all-time favorite bands. I wish I could go, but I have a class. :(

How elitist of you, what only low life classes people can go to Iron Maiden concerts? :D

Monkeybone
02-19-2008, 03:03 PM
this is why ppl are starting to steal catalytic converters.

glockmail
02-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Check out this metal:

http://www.liquidmetal.com/media/ball_bounce_DSL.mov