PDA

View Full Version : US warships position for satellite shoot down

Mr. P
02-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Now THIS is going to be something very interesting, for more than just the task itself! I've heard there is opposition to us even trying. Then my guess is everyone will be watching and evaluating our capability.

6 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) — A US warship is moving into position to try to shoot down an out-of-control US spy satellite as early as Wednesday before it tumbles into the Earth's atmosphere, Pentagon officials said Tuesday.

Armed with two specially modified interceptor missiles, the USS Lake Erie has been tasked to intercept the satellite over the Pacific and shoot it down into the ocean, the officials said, adding that a cruiser, the Aegis, is already in waters off Hawaii.

The USS Decatur, a guided missile destroyer, is carrying a third interceptor missile in case the first two attempts fail, defense officials said. Another destroyer, the USS Russell, was still in port on Tuesday.

"I'm confident they'll be able to do something," said a senior Navy official. "Once the weapon goes into track, then I think it's a done deal."

The Pentagon has waited for the space shuttle Atlantis to land first at the end of its mission to the International Space Station. That is scheduled for 9:07 am Wednesday.

"Touchdown of the Atlantis opens the window of opportunity for the US military to shoot down that rapidly decaying US intelligence satellite," said Geoff Morrell, the Pentagon press secretary.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iPA149X6zIsMNsn0mdO5-y3EkceA

rppearso
02-20-2008, 02:05 AM
This is the stupidist thing ever, for every satalite that is blown up it spreads space debris all over and if this happenes enough it will make it impossible to ever get a window to launch anything new into space not to mention manned space missions will be to risky because of excessive debris. This is a prime display of ignorance of thoes using equipment designed and built by people way smarter than them.

Mr. P
02-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Well reports are they hit it and most fell back into the atmosphere and burned up. Starwars missile defense does work. :clap:

Dilloduck
02-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Awesome technology------let's go UFO hunting !!!!!!!

Dilloduck
02-20-2008, 11:01 PM
This is the stupidist thing ever, for every satalite that is blown up it spreads space debris all over and if this happenes enough it will make it impossible to ever get a window to launch anything new into space not to mention manned space missions will be to risky because of excessive debris. This is a prime display of ignorance of thoes using equipment designed and built by people way smarter than them.

You mean that blows my chance to watch NASA spend billions trying to send me to Mars ??? oh damn.:laugh2:

manu1959
02-20-2008, 11:05 PM
report is they hit......seems the self destruct button worked if you ask me....

Dilloduck
02-20-2008, 11:06 PM

oooooo Damn good call --------

manu1959
02-20-2008, 11:07 PM

it is in the lower atmosphere....debris will not be able to hold orbit and will fall back to earth and burn up.....

manu1959
02-20-2008, 11:08 PM
oooooo Damn good call --------

working on my conspiracy theory shtick for the obama years.....

Abbey Marie
02-20-2008, 11:10 PM
working on my conspiracy theory shtick for the obama years.....

You're off to a brilliant start. :laugh2:

Kathianne
02-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Well reports are they hit it and most fell back into the atmosphere and burned up. Starwars missile defense does work. :clap:

Considering the idiotic posts before yours, how about a new thread? You and the topic deserve it. Kudos.

Mr. P
02-20-2008, 11:13 PM

A set-up, a fake, a fraud? To fool the Chinese/Russians into thinking we have something we don't? Oh, OK. But with all the tracking that I'm sure was done by both Russia and China they'd know the truth anyway don't ya think? :slap:

Dilloduck
02-20-2008, 11:25 PM
A set-up, a fake, a fraud? To fool the Chinese/Russians into thinking we have something we don't? Oh, OK. But with all the tracking that I'm sure was done by both Russia and China they'd know the truth anyway don't ya think? :slap:

They all know---they are telling us rockets are good because they can protect us from asteroids and stuff. Good investment of our taxes !! :laugh2:

retiredman
02-20-2008, 11:29 PM

that wasn't as a result of the gazillions of dollars poured into starwars by ronnie raygun...that was just a good old standard missile fired by the world's best navy.

Dilloduck
02-20-2008, 11:34 PM
that wasn't as a result of the gazillions of dollars poured into starwars by ronnie raygun...that was just a good old standard missile fired by the world's best navy.

oh ya---tell it to the commies !!!:poke:

manu1959
02-20-2008, 11:43 PM

i told ya i am working on my conspiracy theory posts for the obama years....didn't say i was any good at it yet.....everyone is a critic....