PDA

View Full Version : In Honor Of Black History Month

Sitarro
02-20-2008, 02:36 AM
I know, it's a bit late but I've decided to reuse a previous photo of one of my favorite black actors, Billie "Buckwheat" Thomas, as my avatar. It would be fun if every one on the board would also honor black history month by changing their avatar to their favorite black actor.

Psychoblues
02-20-2008, 02:50 AM
Most already know what a zero you are, zero. Have fun with your little private joke.

I know, it's a bit late but I've decided to reuse a previous photo of one of my favorite black actors, Billie "Buckwheat" Thomas, as my avatar. It would be fun if every one on the board would also honor black history month by changing their avatar to their favorite black actor.

actsnoblemartin
02-20-2008, 02:56 AM
Why do blacks get a special month of history, but not jews, italians, germans, polish, chiniese.

What other cultures are less worthy?

How about american history?, and just teach about different cultures, instead of special interest history months lol

Just a thought

Psychoblues
02-20-2008, 03:03 AM
Try and put yourself in the place of stymie or buckwheat, martin. Just maybe you will begin to understand. zero can splash his prejudice, ignorance and mediocrity all he wants. Are you desiring to be his twin?

Why do blacks get a special month of history, but not jews, italians, germans, polish, chiniese.

How about american history?, and just teach about different cultures, instead of special interest history months lol

Just a thought

I've got the 4th of July to celebrate my love for this COUNTRY and recognise all we've gone through to get it correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

actsnoblemartin
02-20-2008, 03:18 AM
Since when do you think i hate blacks?

I just dont want other cultures to big ignored, so one can feel better about itself.

Besides, if you really care about black history, make it available as an elective in high schools and colleges.

But common, jews are not as special as blacks, asians are not as special as blacks?

even the friggin irish were mis treated (irish need not apply) should we ignore them

How the hell does that make me prejudice?

:laugh2:

Try and put yourself in the place of stymie or buckwheat, martin. Just maybe you will begin to understand. zero can splash his prejudice, ignorance and mediocrity all he wants. Are you desiring to be his twin?

I've got the 4th of July to celebrate my love for this COUNTRY and recognise all we've gone through to get it correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

actsnoblemartin
02-20-2008, 03:19 AM
I will never understand whats it like to be black, but blacks arent the only ones who have suffered in the world, or in america.

Are blacks the only ones worth a month of history?

Psychoblues
02-20-2008, 03:42 AM
Are you trying to twist my words, martin?

Since when do you think i hate blacks?

I just dont want other cultures to big ignored, so one can feel better about itself.

Besides, if you really care about black history, make it available as an elective in high schools and colleges.

But common, jews are not as special as blacks, asians are not as special as blacks?

even the friggin irish were mis treated (irish need not apply) should we ignore them

How the hell does that make me prejudice?

Why do you want to be a shithead like zero?

Sitarro
02-20-2008, 03:49 AM
Most already know what a zero you are, zero. Have fun with your little private joke.

Can't figure out the avatar setup function either eh psicko? Again, the quote button is in the bottom right corner of the post you are trying to quote...... after all this time ya still can't handle that.

Psychoblues
02-20-2008, 04:01 AM
Yeah, and it just eats your zero ass up, doesn't it, zero?

Can't figure out the avatar setup function either eh psicko? Again, the quote button is in the bottom right corner of the post you are trying to quote...... after all this time ya still can't handle that.

You are such a sucker for the stupid shit. :fu:

dan
02-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Believe me, I'm no black history month supporter, but to say that the Irish or Chinese have suffered in this country as much as black people is a flat-out lie. The Japanese may have a case, possibly the Jews, although I don't think we should have to take up the blame for Germany and Israel/Palestine.

But, the idea of Black History Month is just weak liberal guilt at its finest. What better way to make black people feel more like everyone else than to single them out for an entire month. I know, I know, a black man invented peanut butter, WOW, now that's what I call history!

hjmick
02-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Believe me, I'm no black history month supporter, but to say that the Irish or Chinese have suffered in this country as much as black people is a flat-out lie. The Japanese may have a case, possibly the Jews, although I don't think we should have to take up the blame for Germany and Israel/Palestine.

But, the idea of Black History Month is just weak liberal guilt at its finest. What better way to make black people feel more like everyone else than to single them out for an entire month. I know, I know, a black man invented peanut butter, WOW, now that's what I call history!

Actually, the Irish were treated very much like second class citizens. On arrival in America, the Irish encountered new struggles. Americans kept old prejudices alive including prejudices against the Irish. These stemmed from pre-existing ideas about Catholicism and the Irish, especially among the English. Not thought good enough for proper housing, they were forced to cling together in shanty towns, unable to find work because of the phrase, “NO IRISH NEED APPLY” in employment advertisements and the sign “NO SALESMEN, NO IRISH” could be found on doors of private homes as well as shops and other establishments. Poverty was only one factor forcing the Irish to stay in the slums, they were also considered bad for the neighborhood as they were unfamiliar with the conveniences of plumbing and running water. Their living conditions bred disease and ultimately death with 80% of infants born to Irish immigrants in New York City dying.

The Irish were concentrated at the lowest rungs of the employment ladder, often in jobs considered too unsafe for black slaves because the loss of a slave was an out of pocket expense for the owner. As a result, Irish employment was often restricted to the docks and other areas involving a high risk of injury. Irish men were locked in employment as unskilled laborers while women were employed as domestic servants. Their menial jobs and salaries created a continuous circle of under-education and poor employment.

Boston was so Irish it was dubbed “the Dublin of America”. This was a cause of fear because people were afraid they would be overrun by Irish immigrants.

The Know Nothing party of the 1840s and 50s was opposed to foreign immigration, especially Irish Catholics and believed that “Americans must rule America.” Four years after it was founded, the Know Nothings claimed over one million members and had elected eight governors, more than 100 congressmen, the mayors of Boston, Chicago, and Philadelphia as well as thousands of lesser officials throughout the country. Once in power, the party passed a series of laws aimed specifically at the Irish Catholic. These laws included compulsory readings from the King James Bible (the Protestant bible) in public schools, disbanding Irish militia units and seizing their weapons in direct violation of their Constitutional rights, and deporting poor Irish back to Britain. The party also made efforts to deprive Irish Catholics of their right to vote and hold office.

San Francisco was the site of possibly the greatest Irish opposition. A Vigilance Committee took control of the government and sought to eradicate Irish Catholics from the city. Two were lynched, causing many others to leave the city.

In the Southern states, racism against the Irish took a different tack, with the Gaelic immigrants being compared with the black slaves. This led to a phenomenon known as the “black Irish”. Irish workers in these areas were referred to as “niggers turned inside out” while the slaves in turn would be called “smoked Irish.” In some cases, the Irish and slaves were considered on a par for their ignorance.

Irish racism did not begin to decline until the latter half of the 19th Century.

Hobbit
02-20-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm declaring this month badass history month, so I've changed my avatar to my favorite badass, meaning I've left it exactly the way it was.

dan
02-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Actually, the Irish were treated very much like second class citizens. On arrival in America, the Irish encountered new struggles. Americans kept old prejudices alive including prejudices against the Irish. These stemmed from pre-existing ideas about Catholicism and the Irish, especially among the English. Not thought good enough for proper housing, they were forced to cling together in shanty towns, unable to find work because of the phrase, “NO IRISH NEED APPLY” in employment advertisements and the sign “NO SALESMEN, NO IRISH” could be found on doors of private homes as well as shops and other establishments. Poverty was only one factor forcing the Irish to stay in the slums, they were also considered bad for the neighborhood as they were unfamiliar with the conveniences of plumbing and running water. Their living conditions bred disease and ultimately death with 80% of infants born to Irish immigrants in New York City dying.

The Irish were concentrated at the lowest rungs of the employment ladder, often in jobs considered too unsafe for black slaves because the loss of a slave was an out of pocket expense for the owner. As a result, Irish employment was often restricted to the docks and other areas involving a high risk of injury. Irish men were locked in employment as unskilled laborers while women were employed as domestic servants. Their menial jobs and salaries created a continuous circle of under-education and poor employment.

Boston was so Irish it was dubbed “the Dublin of America”. This was a cause of fear because people were afraid they would be overrun by Irish immigrants.

The Know Nothing party of the 1840s and 50s was opposed to foreign immigration, especially Irish Catholics and believed that “Americans must rule America.” Four years after it was founded, the Know Nothings claimed over one million members and had elected eight governors, more than 100 congressmen, the mayors of Boston, Chicago, and Philadelphia as well as thousands of lesser officials throughout the country. Once in power, the party passed a series of laws aimed specifically at the Irish Catholic. These laws included compulsory readings from the King James Bible (the Protestant bible) in public schools, disbanding Irish militia units and seizing their weapons in direct violation of their Constitutional rights, and deporting poor Irish back to Britain. The party also made efforts to deprive Irish Catholics of their right to vote and hold office.

San Francisco was the site of possibly the greatest Irish opposition. A Vigilance Committee took control of the government and sought to eradicate Irish Catholics from the city. Two were lynched, causing many others to leave the city.

In the Southern states, racism against the Irish took a different tack, with the Gaelic immigrants being compared with the black slaves. This led to a phenomenon known as the “black Irish”. Irish workers in these areas were referred to as “niggers turned inside out” while the slaves in turn would be called “smoked Irish.” In some cases, the Irish and slaves were considered on a par for their ignorance.

Irish racism did not begin to decline until the latter half of the 19th Century.

Ehhhhh, still not the same thing as slavery.

hjmick
02-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Ehhhhh, still not the same thing as slavery.

Irish hater! LOL

dan
02-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Stay offa dis stuff::cheers2:

That's the curse of you people!

Rep points to whoever gets that reference.

hjmick
02-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Stay offa dis stuff::cheers2:

That's the curse of you people!

Rep points to whoever gets that reference.

The great Phil Hartman as Frank Sinatra in The Sinatra Group on SNL.

God, I miss Hartman.

Sitarro
02-20-2008, 01:05 PM

God, I miss Hartman.

Easily one of the funniest and classiest comedians of all time....... I miss him too.

dan
02-20-2008, 01:28 PM

God, I miss Hartman.

You get your reps, sir. That's my favorite SNL sketch ever. 'Next topic: Milli Vanilli, what is this faggot crap?':laugh2:

I remember right after Sinatra died, some news channel had Joe Piscopo on, and he was talking all kinds of trash about Hartman's Sinatra, how it was offensive. I mean, clearly it's more of a caricature than a straight impression, but it's pretty spot-on, and it's hilarious. I guess Joe Piscopo forgot about that last part.

Another great Hartman-as-sinatra bit was when he was recording the duets, Adam Sandler was Bono and Chris Farley was Meatloaf. The main thing I remember from that is that he kicks Bono out and then he comes back and asks for another chance and Sinatra says "I'm gettin' tired of you, Potato Head."

hjmick
02-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Piscopo trashing Hartman, that's funny. What exactly has Piscopo done since his stint on SNL? Sounds like sour grapes if you ask me.

Sitarro
02-20-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm declaring this month badass history month, so I've changed my avatar to my favorite badass, meaning I've left it exactly the way it was.

I've always liked your avatar Hobbit, certainly a true badass.

gabosaurus
02-20-2008, 01:40 PM
If you don't understand now, you never will.

krisy
02-20-2008, 02:10 PM
I know, I know, a black man invented peanut butter, WOW, now that's what I call history!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I had a black English teacher in the 10th grade who spent the whole year telling us how white people didn't really invent all kinds of things,like the telephone. She said it was the black servants that really did it.

Abbey Marie
02-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Piscopo trashing Hartman, that's funny. What exactly has Piscopo done since his stint on SNL? Sounds like sour grapes if you ask me.

Married the babysitter.

dan
02-20-2008, 03:13 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I had a black English teacher in the 10th grade who spent the whole year telling us how white people didn't really invent all kinds of things,like the telephone. She said it was the black servants that really did it.

Oh, lord!:lame2:

Look, I think we should have a month to celebrate every culture, not just black culture.

But, at the same time, I'm not going to rewrite history. Black people founded the basis for pretty much all popular forms of music out there, except country. They should take pride in that. They've created their own, unique form of standup comedy. Sure, they didn't invent the light bulb or whatever, but who cares what color the inventor's skin was? The whole thing is ridiculous.

jackass
02-20-2008, 04:08 PM

Just a thought

Same reason they get the Negro College Fund and the Black Miss America. Guilt!

Can you imagine someone asking for a Miss WHITE America???

actsnoblemartin
02-20-2008, 08:25 PM
but guilt and telling people they are victims, black or other, makes people angry, and hateful, and not self reliant.

It would not be a miss WHITE america, it would be a miss caucasion america, pc remember?

Same reason they get the Negro College Fund and the Black Miss America. Guilt!

Can you imagine someone asking for a Miss WHITE America???

jackass
02-20-2008, 08:50 PM
but guilt and telling people they are victims, black or other, makes people angry, and hateful, and not self reliant.

It would not be a miss WHITE america, it would be a miss caucasion america, pc remember?

Exactly Martin. And who tells those people all of those things??

Screw pc!! Thats another issue thats wrong with America. Everyone is too damn sensitive!

Yurt
02-20-2008, 09:16 PM

Screw pc!! Thats another issue thats wrong with America. Everyone is too damn sensitive!

i resent this post

*sniffle*

actsnoblemartin
02-20-2008, 11:35 PM

ME: The Democratic Party

ME: Exactly, america needs to grow a pair and chillax :laugh2:

actsnoblemartin
02-20-2008, 11:37 PM
hahahaha

i resent this post

*sniffle*