PDA

View Full Version : Why does Obama "resonate with so many voters"?

Little-Acorn
02-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Apparently this reporter has concluded that Barack Obama resonates with so many voters because... well, because he resonates with so many voters.
And you heard it here first. :dance:
-----------------------------------------

http://opinionjournal.com

from "Best of the Web"
by James Taranto

Obama as Inkblot
http://www.suntimes.com/news/mitchell/798119,CST-NWS-mitch17.article

"If you're wondering why Sen. Barack Obama's message of hope has resonated with so many voters across the country," proclaims Mary Mitchell, a columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times, "consider the shooting rampage at Northern Illinois University."

If you think Mitchell means that Obama has promising and innovative ideas for policies on firearms or the mentally ill--well, need we say more? No, here is how, according to Mary Mitchell, Obama is going to prevent more shooting rampages:

*** QUOTE ***

We are living at a time when depression seems to be as common as a cold or flu. Yet what is depression but an impenetrable cloud of hopelessness? . . .

If these hopeless people were easier to spot, we could devise better ways to protect ourselves. But they are not. . . .

Obama's ability to inspire people--in urban areas as well as in rural towns--is a gift the country needs.

Young people are killing each other in the ghettos as well as in our nation's universities. So it's not just drug wars or street gangs driving the violence.

But while young people are dying as martyrs, adults with the power to make a difference are still arguing over the merits of gun control.

Obama is surging ahead because a lot of people are tired of believing they are powerless to heal an ailing nation.

*** END QUOTE ***

Obama, in other words, makes people feel good about themselves. Mitchell seems inclined to believe--she doesn't really say it, but then she doesn't really say much in this frustratingly elliptical column--that a President Obama would make would-be mass murderers feel good about themselves and thereby dissuade them from horrific acts. This seems naive to say the least.

Abbey Marie
02-20-2008, 04:54 PM
The anti-Christ is supposed to resonate! :laugh2:

manu1959
02-20-2008, 05:16 PM
obama reminds me of my pastor......feel good talk makes people feel good....

hope ... change .... faith ..... pride .....

how can you be against feel good words.....

i keep waiting for him to promise coke in the drinking fountains .....

what will be really fun is to watch him start backpedaling as soon as his first briefing is over....

PostmodernProphet
02-20-2008, 05:20 PM
I thought it was because he wasn't a Clinton.....

nevadamedic
02-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Apparently this reporter has concluded that Barack Obama resonates with so many voters because... well, because he resonates with so many voters.
And you heard it here first. :dance:
-----------------------------------------

http://opinionjournal.com

from "Best of the Web"
by James Taranto

Obama as Inkblot
http://www.suntimes.com/news/mitchell/798119,CST-NWS-mitch17.article

"If you're wondering why Sen. Barack Obama's message of hope has resonated with so many voters across the country," proclaims Mary Mitchell, a columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times, "consider the shooting rampage at Northern Illinois University."

If you think Mitchell means that Obama has promising and innovative ideas for policies on firearms or the mentally ill--well, need we say more? No, here is how, according to Mary Mitchell, Obama is going to prevent more shooting rampages:

*** QUOTE ***

We are living at a time when depression seems to be as common as a cold or flu. Yet what is depression but an impenetrable cloud of hopelessness? . . .

If these hopeless people were easier to spot, we could devise better ways to protect ourselves. But they are not. . . .

Obama's ability to inspire people--in urban areas as well as in rural towns--is a gift the country needs.

Young people are killing each other in the ghettos as well as in our nation's universities. So it's not just drug wars or street gangs driving the violence.

But while young people are dying as martyrs, adults with the power to make a difference are still arguing over the merits of gun control.

Obama is surging ahead because a lot of people are tired of believing they are powerless to heal an ailing nation.

*** END QUOTE ***

Obama, in other words, makes people feel good about themselves. Mitchell seems inclined to believe--she doesn't really say it, but then she doesn't really say much in this frustratingly elliptical column--that a President Obama would make would-be mass murderers feel good about themselves and thereby dissuade them from horrific acts. This seems naive to say the least.

Obama is a great con-man. Unfortunatly that is all he is.

Little-Acorn
02-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Obama is a great con-man. Unfortunatly that is all he is.

Well, inspirational speaking is part of leadership (though not a large part), and leadership is part of being President. Obama has the inspirational part down cold, looks like. But then, so does every country preacher, funeral director, and Amway salesman.

I've been trying to find what other qualifications Obama has to be President. Drawn a blank so far.

nevadamedic
02-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Well, inspirational speaking is part of leadership (though not a large part), and leadership is part of being President. Obama has the inspirational part down cold, looks like. But then, so does every country preacher, funeral director, and Amway salesman.

I've been trying to find what other qualifications Obama has to be President. Drawn a blank so far.

Well he does have Oprah's endorsement......................

Abbey Marie
02-20-2008, 07:00 PM

It's pretty simple, really. He's untouchable in our overly-PC society.

manu1959
02-20-2008, 07:02 PM
It's pretty simple, really. He's untouchable in our overly-PC society.

doesn't seem to be stopping calling clinton a crying angry woman or mccain an old man....

Abbey Marie
02-20-2008, 07:16 PM
doesn't seem to be stopping calling clinton a crying angry woman or mccain an old man....

Yup. Race is a much more sensitive area here than gender or age.

glockmail
02-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Blacks like him because he's black. White's like him because they can relieve some guilt foisted on them by blacks.

Dilloduck
02-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Blacks like him because he's black. White's like him because they can relieve some guilt foisted on them by blacks.

Thats it in a nut shell----and he's a smart black so it's even easier.

glockmail
02-21-2008, 09:07 AM
Thats it in a nut shell----and he's a smart black so it's even easier.
Too bad J. C. Watts didn't take up that mantle and run with it.

Trigg
02-21-2008, 12:48 PM

I agree.

People leave his speeches feeling good about themselves. I think that's why he's doing so well with younger audiances. They leave feeling good, but never ask themselves what he actually stands for and what he is going to do when he gets to the White House.

At best, if he is president, I think he will be ineffectual. At worst, he'll find another canal to give away in order to make a country happy.

gabosaurus
02-21-2008, 12:54 PM
What Obama does best is appeal to people who are dismayed and tired of Washington back room politics as usual. Legislators indebted to special interests and lobbyists.
Obama offers leadership that unencumbered by debts and favors owed by those entrenched in the Washington scene.
Also, Obama appeals to younger voters by being one of them. Hillary represents the scandals and ineffectual leadership of the Bill Clinton administration. McCain is much older and supports the extension of an unpopular foreign war.
Americans who gravitate toward Obama are simply discouraged by what is going on in Washington, with both Republicans and Democrats. They want a change.

Sitarro
02-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Too bad J. C. Watts didn't take up that mantle and run with it.

According to experts like Joe Steel, J.C. Watts is a traitor to his race. Obama is more than half white, that makes it easier to swallow for the racists from the dem party.

Trigg
02-21-2008, 01:06 PM
McCain is much older and supports the extension of an unpopular foreign war.

Both Obama and Hillary are promising to get out of Iraq quickly.

I've thought from the beginning that a war in Iraq would be like stiring a hornets nest, and low and behold that's what happened. It's a mess that Bush should have avoided at all cost.

That said though, I think we owe the people our help in setting up a stable gov. and Obama's promise to be out in 6 months is unrealistic and possibly dangerous to the stability of that part of the world.

Obamas followers need to realize that the only way to get the politicians to play nice and change the old way of doing things is to establish term limits and they'll NEVER vote for that.

Hopes and dreams are one thing, but I think Obama is going to find out that he's over his head once he gets there.

JohnDoe
02-21-2008, 01:16 PM
I am not enammered by Obama or Clinton or McCain.

And i have not made up my mind yet honestly on who to vote for president if anyone.

I have gone from Gore :), Biden, Edwards, Clinton, Obama, Clinton, Obama, Clinton..............so far!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Why i even bother keeping up with this whole public race when i can't even keep up with MYSELF at this point, is beyond me!!!

jd

Little-Acorn
02-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Both Obama and Hillary are promising to get out of Iraq quickly.
Hillary has been waffling on that "promise" for some time, drawing the ire of the Code Pink crowd and other Michael-Mooreish fanatics that make up the Democrat base. And Obama is now starting to do the same thing. When asked recently if he would draw the troops out of Iraq quickly, instead of saying "Yes" he replied that he would reserve the CinC's right to take into accoount the situation at the time, before deciding. In other words, he's saying that it might not be possible to do a quick surrender and retreat after all - something most Republicans have been pointing out since Day 1.

Welcome to the big leagues, Barack. Harsh reality breaks upon us all (except the kook Dem base) sooner or later.

Dilloduck
02-21-2008, 02:16 PM
I am not enammered by Obama or Clinton or McCain.

And i have not made up my mind yet honestly on who to vote for president if anyone.

I have gone from Gore :), Biden, Edwards, Clinton, Obama, Clinton, Obama, Clinton..............so far!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Why i even bother keeping up with this whole public race when i can't even keep up with MYSELF at this point, is beyond me!!!

jd

You political whore ! :laugh2:

JohnDoe
02-21-2008, 02:19 PM
You political whore ! :laugh2:

nuh uh! hahahahahahaha!

:slap:

stephanie
02-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Obambam is "resonating" mostly with youths who have not yet formed any real core beliefs, so they latch onto someone who they feel can lead them into some meaning in their lives...

They have no idea, or care what he stands for as President..
He's a fad plain and simple...

The majority of thinking ADULTS won't vote for him in the general election...:laugh2:

Dilloduck
02-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Obambam is "resonating" mostly with youths who have not yet formed any real core beliefs, so they latch onto someone who they feel can lead them into some meaning in their lives...

They have no idea, or care what he stands for as President..
He's a fad plain and simple...

The majority of thinking ADULTS won't vote for him in the general election...:laugh2:

Are there any thinking adults left ?? :laugh2:

stephanie
02-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Are there any thinking adults left ?? :laugh2:

Hmmm...Let me think about that...I'll get back at you with an answer...:laugh2: