PDA

View Full Version : Can You Win A War By Using Morals & Taking The High Ground

actsnoblemartin
02-20-2008, 08:17 PM
It hit me, that in WWII, we did not torture nazi captives, even as im sure, they were not as nice to our guys.

Could we fight a war, with non muslim states, like russia, china or others, who see our torturing as a green light to torture our guys

does anyone have proof, that any form of torture has saved lives, and if so, does that justify using it, why or why not

I wanna withhold my opinion, so i can gain some insight from others first

Dilloduck
02-20-2008, 08:29 PM
It hit me, that in WWII, we did not torture nazi captives, even as im sure, they were not as nice to our guys.

Could we fight a war, with non muslim states, like russia, china or others, who see our torturing as a green light to torture our guys

does anyone have proof, that any form of torture has saved lives, and if so, does that justify using it, why or why not

I've been thinking about this one recently and I don't know the answer but there's a lot to be said for getting down on someones level and saying " listen asshole---I can play this dirty shit better than you so you might wanna think twice before pulling that shit again."

Gaffer
02-20-2008, 08:30 PM
We did not torture the way the nazis and japan did. But various means were used they would not be acceptable by todays standards.

As for other countries torturing our guys, don't fool yourself they any of them would not torture in a heart beat, regardless of what we do. Absolutely no one that is an enemy of this country will treat prisoners anywhere close to how we treat ours.

Countries that adhere to the GC and treat prisoners humanly are not countries we are going to be fighting a war with.

You can look at how prisoners are treated in these countries internally and get a good idea how our troops would fare.

April15
02-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Yes. You can and we have!

manu1959
02-20-2008, 11:47 PM

actually we did torture nazis and we also shot them en mass.....

my grand father who was buddies with general mark clarck told me of vc that were chucked out of choppers one at a time till someone started talking.....

Gaffer
02-21-2008, 08:49 AM
actually we did torture nazis and we also shot them en mass.....

my grand father who was buddies with general mark clarck told me of vc that were chucked out of choppers one at a time till someone started talking.....

That's a classic myth. We heard those same stories when I was there. I have only heard of one true event and that was SV interrogators in a SV chopper. Not even sure how true that was. I'm sure the threat of being thrown out was used a lot.

manu1959
02-21-2008, 10:16 AM
That's a classic myth. We heard those same stories when I was there. I have only heard of one true event and that was SV interrogators in a SV chopper. Not even sure how true that was. I'm sure the threat of being thrown out was used a lot.

no idea wasn't there....my grandfather was head of the vfw in the 60's he used to tell me lots of stories.....

Psychoblues
02-22-2008, 02:25 AM
Morals and high ground is so subjective, martin. In retrospect, do you think the ordered invasion of a sovereign country by a president that clearly knew but ignored the truth is moral or comes close to high ground?

nevadamedic
02-22-2008, 02:36 AM
We did not torture the way the nazis and japan did. But various means were used they would not be acceptable by todays standards.

As for other countries torturing our guys, don't fool yourself they any of them would not torture in a heart beat, regardless of what we do. Absolutely no one that is an enemy of this country will treat prisoners anywhere close to how we treat ours.

Countries that adhere to the GC and treat prisoners humanly are not countries we are going to be fighting a war with.

You can look at how prisoners are treated in these countries internally and get a good idea how our troops would fare.

Just ask Psycho. He has been a part of every major war our country has ever fought in.

red states rule
02-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Yes. You can and we have!

Yea, Obama will break out his 1960's love beads and bring peace to the world

82Marine89
02-22-2008, 06:58 PM

In order to defeat your enemy, I mean viciously defeat them and remove their will to fight, you must be worse than them.

red states rule
02-22-2008, 07:00 PM
In order to defeat your enemy, I mean viciously defeat them and remove their will to fight, you must be worse than them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyUX6wV1lBQ

It is satire but it is also very correct