PDA

View Full Version : Here Comes McCains Swiftboat !!

Dilloduck
02-20-2008, 09:40 PM
http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/02/mccainlobbyist_story_in_the_ne.php

5stringJeff
02-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Here she is, Miss America!

http://www.alcalde-fay.com/images/bios/Vicki.jpg

Kathianne
02-20-2008, 09:47 PM
jeff, lol! Not worthy of more, if that. :laugh2:

Yurt
02-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Here she is, Miss America!

http://www.alcalde-fay.com/images/bios/Vicki.jpg

is she farsighted

5stringJeff
02-20-2008, 09:53 PM
jeff, lol! Not worthy of more, if that. :laugh2:

It only took 10 seconds on Google. She's not exactly my cup of tea, but hey, I'm not the one accused of having an affair with her.

krisy
02-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Hannity and Colmes has devoted thier whole hour to this. Carl Cameron reported that the NYT was going to release this story after pressure from a left wing mag. Seems convenient too since the Times aren't doing too hot. Like McCain or not,this seems a little bit like trashy journalism to me. Would this have come out if he weren't running for Pres?

Dilloduck
02-20-2008, 09:55 PM
It only took 10 seconds on Google. She's not exactly my cup of tea, but hey, I'm not the one accused of having an affair with her.

This election is going so well---bet the ratings are sky high. I'm glad America is so above it all !!! :laugh2:

Dilloduck
02-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Hannity and Colmes has devoted thier whole hour to this. Carl Cameron reported that the NYT was going to release this story after pressure from a left wing mag. Seems convenient too since the Times aren't doing too hot. Like McCain or not,this seems a little bit like trashy journalism to me. Would this have come out if he weren't running for Pres?

Absolutely NOT

JohnDoe
02-20-2008, 09:59 PM
I don't believe it.

JohnDoe
02-20-2008, 10:06 PM
scroll down, there is a better picture of her on the left.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/us/politics/21mccain.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Dilloduck
02-20-2008, 10:08 PM
scroll down, there is a better picture of her on the left.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/us/politics/21mccain.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Looks like she got a Red Ryder BB gun as a kid and shot her eye out !

JohnDoe
02-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Looks like she got a Red Ryder BB gun as a kid and shot her eye out !

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the red ryder BB gun from a Christmas story....hahahahahahaha! That is one of the greatest Christmas movies ever imo, i still have to watch it every Christmas, if i miss it on tv during the season, we have it on dvd.... lol.... wonderful movie!

jd

gabosaurus
02-21-2008, 12:54 AM
I love some of the responses...

May I speak for all of humanity when I say:

Ew.

Ewwww.

Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew [shudder]

:lmao: :lmao:

GW in Ohio
02-21-2008, 02:32 PM
I haven't seen one serious response to this business here yet.

Are you guys trying to make light of it because you'd prefer to avoid it altogether?

From my perspective as an Obama supporter, this doesn't change my opinion of John McCain very much. I had already formed an opinion of him as a war hero, a basically decent and honest guy, and one who has a terribly flawed, outdated view of American foreign policy and the role of our military.

And I really don't care who he has played hide-the-salami with in the past. There's no doubt in my mind that he had an affair with this woman, but so what? And I'm sure he showed favoritism toward her firm because of their relationship, but there's hardly anyone who's been in national politics for as long as McCain has who hasn't used his influence to benefit friends.

I don't expect political leaders to be as purre as driven snow. I only expect them to be mostly honest and trustworthy, and McCain passes muster on that criterion.

Yurt
02-21-2008, 02:52 PM

Are you guys trying to make light of it because you'd prefer to avoid it altogether?

From my perspective as an Obama supporter, this doesn't change my opinion of John McCain very much. I had already formed an opinion of him as a war hero, a basically decent and honest guy, and one who has a terribly flawed, outdated view of American foreign policy and the role of our military.

And I really don't care who he has played hide-the-salami with in the past. There's no doubt in my mind that he had an affair with this woman, but so what? And I'm sure he showed favoritism toward her firm because of their relationship, but there's hardly anyone who's been in national politics for as long as McCain has who hasn't used his influence to benefit friends.

I don't expect political leaders to be as purre as driven snow. I only expect them to be mostly honest and trustworthy, and McCain passes muster on that criterion.

Manu's case and point, bravo.

CockySOB
02-21-2008, 03:43 PM
This allegation (and that is all it is at the moment) doesn't impact my opinion of McCain at all, although his handling of it in the media was exceptional. Rather than dodge and weave, or ignore and hope it went away, he directly and succinctly addressed it to the media. Maybe it comes back to haunt him, and maybe it won't, for me the whole thing is pretty much a non-issue compared to things like McCain-Feingold.

red states rule
02-22-2008, 03:56 PM

The bottom line is, it took the DNC Times 4 months to come up witht a story that says 2 unnamed former staffer think there may have been an affair between McCain and this women

Now, libs are trying to make somthing out of McCaon sending a letter asking for a government committee to just make a decsion on a commerce issue after 400 days of thinking about it

Libs must be having second, third, and fourth thoughts over how well they do in November if they have try and use this as a smear piece on McCain

red states rule
02-22-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't believe it.

I remember how the DNC Times reported on a story about a Presidential candidate where there was proof he was cheating on his wife - and raped another women

They ignored it of course - since he was a Dem

FNC's Goldberg: Times Downplayed Broaddrick & Flowers Clinton Scandals
By Brad Wilmouth | February 22, 2008 - 17:55 ET

On Thursday's The O'Reilly Factor, former CBS News correspondent and current FNC analyst Bernard Goldberg pointed out the New York Times has historically had a double standard of reporting allegations of sex scandals by Republicans while downplaying or delaying reports of sex scandals by Bill Clinton. Before Bill O'Reilly clarified that while the Times did cover Gennifer Flowers, but "years and years and years after the fact," Goldberg complained: "The New York Times showed virtually no interest in Bill Clinton and Gennifer Flowers. It showed absolutely no front page interest in allegations by a reputable businesswoman named Juanita Broadderick, who said that, when Bill Clinton was attorney general of Arkansas, he raped her. ... But they did have interest in putting on page one a story that alleged that Nancy Reagan, while she was married to Ronald Reagan, was having an affair with Frank Sinatra." Goldberg further contended that at the Times, "they have lots and lots of biases, but they think that anybody who thinks that is the one with the biases."

O'Reilly hosted the segment with Goldberg and, to argue the liberal side, FNC contributor Jane Hall of American University. The FNC host began by asking Goldberg what he thought of the situation. Goldberg:

Well, first, unless this lobbyist is a secret agent working for al-Qaeda, this is going to help John McCain a lot more than it's going to hurt him because nothing unites conservatives more than their visceral distrust of the New York Times. But let me put this into some kind of historical perspective. The New York Times showed virtually no interest in Bill Clinton and Jennifer Flowers. It showed absolutely no front page interest in allegations by a reputable businesswoman named Juanita Broadderick, who said that, when Bill Clinton was attorney general of Arkansas, he raped her. They had no interest in those stores, virtually no interest. But they did have interest in putting on page one a story that alleged that Nancy Reagan, while she was married to Ronald Reagan, was having an affair with Frank Sinatra. And they got that from a Kitty Kelley book that didn't have one fact to substantiate it. And now, we have a page one story based on two people whose names we don't know, whose motivations we don't know, who think that John McCain might have had a romantic affair with a lobbyist. This is really thin stuff to put on page one of any newspaper.

After O'Reilly asked Goldberg why the Times does such things, the former CBS reporter continued:

Well, I'm not one of those people who says the New York Times gets its facts wrong. I think the New York Times has a problem that they will not admit to. And that is that they have lots and lots of biases, but they think that anybody who thinks that is the one with the biases. They think that they're pure and noble and above it all. But I just gave you some examples. If they have no interest in a story about a credible woman saying that Bill Clinton raped her when he was attorney general, but put Frank Sinatra and Nancy Reagan on page one, that shows their agenda, their biases.

Before getting to Hall, O'Reilly made the liberal argument in defense of the Times:

But the reason they do that is they say that anybody who's a Republican, or a conservative is a family values person, and anything they do is hypocritical and has to be exposed. Whereby the secular progressive, liberal arm, hey, anything goes. Their conduct should not be scrutinized.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brad-wilmouth/2008/02/22/fncs-goldberg-times-downplayed-broaddrick-flowers-clinton-scandals

02-22-2008, 07:46 PM
it's not a swiftboat unless it's true.

stephanie
02-22-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm sorry to say...McCain deserves to get everything that is getting ready to be thrown on him..

He thought he could reach across the aisle and play kissy face with the Democrats and it would sail him into the white house...

Well.....here comes his payback...I hope he enjoys it...:cheers2:

red states rule
02-22-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm sorry to say...McCain deserves to get everything that is getting ready to be thrown on him..

He thought he could reach across the aisle and play kissy face with the Democrats and it would sail him into the white house...

Well.....here comes his payback...I hope he enjoys it...:cheers2:

Normally I would agree with you Stephanie - but attack McCain in the facts and not on implied and unproven BS ike this

The NY Times is helping McCain and making conservatives rally to his defense

We all knew the left would turn on him as soon as he had the nomination locked up - only John did not believe it

red states rule
02-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Yes, the liberal media is following the DNC Times lead..........

Thursday AM Shows Saw Crisis for McCain, Not the NY Times
By Tim Graham | February 22, 2008 - 07:47 ET
The New York Times "scoop" strongly suggesting a romantic relationship between John McCain and a lobbyist drew heavy coverage from all three morning shows Thursday. All three featured interviews with McCain staff members on the defensive. Critical scrutiny of the Times story was mostly left to the McCain aides, as the networks presented the tone of a real crisis for McCain, not for the newspaper.

On NBC’s Today, at least its opening allowed the idea that an outrage had taken place: "Good morning, bombshell or hatchet job? A New York Times report out this morning raises questions about John McCain's relationship with a female lobbyist eight years ago. He is outraged and he is fighting back. Will it turn the presidential campaign upside down?"

Norah O’Donnell’s news report calmly explained the Times narrative: "The report centers on McCain's ties to a lobbyist, 40-year-old Vicki Iseman and suggests a romantic relationship and that McCain may have used influence to benefit her clients. McCain denies any romance and says he did not intervene to help the lobbyist. The Times story has been in the works for months and McCain talked about it in December."

NBC political director Chuck Todd cast it as a serious challenge for the putative GOP nominee: "For McCain it's what happens Day Two with this story. How does he handle it, number one and number two, is there more?"

O’Donnell added: "And managing this story and how it might affect the campaign is certainly on the minds of top advisers. They say they expect it to be talked about very heavily for a day or two and then they hope to move on. They also say that for some of McCain's supporters, perhaps conservatives who do not like the mainstream media and the New York Times, it might even possible that if it's perceived that McCain has somehow been unfairly treated it might actually benefit the Senator. But it's too soon to say just how all of this will be measured by voters and by the campaign."

Matt Lauer interviewed "powerhouse lawyer" Bob Bennett – just days after the two of them did an interview suggesting Bill Clinton was still wronged by Paula Jones and "Clinton haters" – and Bennett was allowed to suggest the story was the "hatchet job" the NBC opening suggested.

But Lauer, who told Hillary Clinton at first blush of the Lewinsky story it could be the smear of the century, just suggested that even if the Times "romantic relationship" is unproven, it still could be a damaging story to McCain’s "straight talk" image: "He says there was no romantic relationship, that no favors were granted. You reiterate that. But even if this was just a close friendship, a typically close friendship, does a close friendship with a Washington lobbyist fly in the face of what John McCain has stood for over these past several years, the Straight Talk Express and an independence from special interest groups in Washington? "

for the compleate article

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2008/02/22/thursday-am-shows-saw-crisis-mccain-not-ny-times

stephanie
02-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Normally I would agree with you Stephanie - but attack McCain in the facts and not on implied and unproven BS ike this

The NY Times is helping McCain and making conservatives rally to his defense

We all knew the left would turn on him as soon as he had the nomination locked up - only John did not believe it

Well...if this is suppose to be some grand scheme to get the conservative to get behind McCain, from what I'm seeing..it's not working...

red states rule
02-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Well...if this is suppose to be some grand scheme to get the conservative to get behind McCain, from what I'm seeing..it's not working...

Part of being a conservative is to call things as you see them Steph - even if you do not like it

I do NOT like McCain - but he is being smeared by the DNC Times, and the reast of the liberal media

They did not report one fact in the entire article - and it is brining some conservatives to his defense

Will it mean votes - only time will tell

stephanie
02-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Part of being a conservative is to call things as you see them Steph - even if you do not like it

I do NOT like McCain - but he is being smeared by the DNC Times, and the rest of the liberal media

They did not report one fact in the entire article - and it is bringing some conservatives to his defense

Will it mean votes - only time will tell

I understand what you're saying...But when have the liberal lamstream media and Democrats ever played by the rules..... The seed has now been planted that McCain is dirty and unethetical...which is what they wanted to accomplish...remember......just last month McCain was celebrating the endorsement from the NYt's...

He made his pact with the devil, now it is going to eat his soul out, what is left of it...:dunno:

red states rule
02-22-2008, 09:10 PM
I understand what you're saying...But when have the liberal lamstream media and Democrats ever played by the rules..... and I can't think of anyone who didn't see this coming...

The seed has now been planted that McCain is dirty and unethetical...which is what they wanted to accomplish...remember......just last month McCain was celebrating the endorsement from the NYt's...

He made his pact with the devil, now it is going to eat his soul out, what is left of it...:dunno:

That is why we beat the left in the arena of ideas Steph - we play by the rules whe we win

The seed will not grow - it will die do to lack of truth, and facts

McCain will understand soon he can't count on his "friends" and will have to get by on the truth