PDA

View Full Version : Navy Scores Direct Hit on Spy Satellite

glockmail
02-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Score one for the US Navy! :salute:

Thursday, February 21, 2008 7:36 AM

WASHINGTON -- A U.S. missile smashed a disabled spy satellite that was headed for earth and the military is tracking the debris as it falls over the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, the Pentagon said Thursday.

Marine Gen. James Cartwright, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told a Pentagon press conference Thursday that he couldn't rule out that hazardous material would fall to the earth.

"Thus far we've seen nothing larger than a football," he said.

Cartwright said officials also "have a high degree of confidence" - though are not ready to say for sure - that the missile launched from a Navy ship near Hawaii on Wednesday struck the satellite's fuel tank. Officials said the toxic hydrazine fuel in the tank would have caused a hazard had it fallen to earth.

http://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/Navy_Scores_Direct_Hit_on/2008/02/21/74357.html

retiredman
02-21-2008, 10:06 AM
on this we can wholeheartedly agree!

damned fine service!

glockmail
02-21-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm surprised that you haven't attempted to deny this. After all it was reported by a "tabloid". :coffee:

retiredman
02-21-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm surprised that you haven't attempted to deny this. After all it was reported by a "tabloid". :coffee:

I also have seen it reported in non-tabloid media as well.

plus...it's the Navy! Who can doubt their abilities and talents?

glockmail
02-21-2008, 11:30 AM
I also have seen it reported in non-tabloid media as well.

plus...it's the Navy! Who can doubt their abilities and talents?
You've seen connections between Saddam and bin Laden documented in non-tabloid publications yet you doubt our miltary's abilities in Iraq. :lame2:

retiredman
02-21-2008, 01:48 PM
You've seen connections between Saddam and bin Laden documented in non-tabloid publications yet you doubt our miltary's abilities in Iraq. :lame2:

That is not true, and I resent you putting false words in my mouth. I have not doubted our military's abilities anywhere. I have only doubted the abilities of the Iraqi people to forge a multicultural democracy with or without the presence of our military.

actsnoblemartin
02-21-2008, 01:57 PM
excellent, I would just like to say a royal :fu: to china, russia, and iran

:salute: go usa!

glockmail
02-21-2008, 02:16 PM
That is not true, and I resent you putting false words in my mouth. I have not doubted our military's abilities anywhere. I have only doubted the abilities of the Iraqi people to forge a multicultural democracy with or without the presence of our military. Aww, now you're playing victim? How quaint!

glockmail
02-21-2008, 04:33 PM
http://www.breitbart.tv/html/50894.html

Abbey Marie
02-21-2008, 04:54 PM
That is not true, and I resent you putting false words in my mouth. I have not doubted our military's abilities anywhere. I have only doubted the abilities of the Iraqi people to forge a multicultural democracy with or without the presence of our military.

If the Iraqis cannot succeed with our military's assistance, isn't that doubting our military's capabilities?

retiredman
02-21-2008, 10:24 PM
If the Iraqis cannot succeed with our military's assistance, isn't that doubting our military's capabilities?

of course not.

our military is not designed, nor has it ever been asked, to babysit sectarian squabbles in countries trying to form democracies.

our military's missions have nothing to do with politics and everything to do with seizing and holding strategic ground, and seizing, holding and maintaining strategic lines of commerce and communication.

glockmail
02-21-2008, 10:44 PM

our military is not designed, nor has it ever been asked, to babysit sectarian squabbles in countries trying to form democracies.

..... You must have been living in cave for the last 20 years. Various Army commanders have written books and how-tos about this shit for years, the best being by Petraeus.

retiredman
02-21-2008, 11:09 PM
You must have been living in cave for the last 20 years. Various Army commanders have written books and how-tos about this shit for years, the best being by Petraeus.

:link:

glockmail
02-21-2008, 11:24 PM
:link:
Google it yourself. Stop being such a damn troll.

retiredman
02-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Google it yourself. Stop being such a damn troll.

you made the claim that Petraeus had written a book on the subject of babysitting sectarian squabbles in countries trying to form democracies. I asked for a link to support such a claim. Something from Amazon.com. for example, where I could order such a book, would be all the proof I would need. If you can't back up your claims, it really is somewhat pathetic for you to start namecalling those who question your claim.

glockmail
02-22-2008, 08:46 AM
you made the claim that Petraeus had written a book on the subject of babysitting sectarian squabbles in countries trying to form democracies. I asked for a link to support such a claim. Something from Amazon.com. for example, where I could order such a book, would be all the proof I would need. If you can't back up your claims, it really is somewhat pathetic for you to start namecalling those who question your claim. Google went right to it: search terms Counterinsurgency Field Manual Lt. Gen. David Petraeus

http://www.amazon.com/Counterinsurgency-Field-Manual-Intelligence-Ring-bound/dp/1422008517

:slap:

retiredman
02-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Google went right to it: search terms Counterinsurgency Field Manual Lt. Gen. David Petraeus

http://www.amazon.com/Counterinsurgency-Field-Manual-Intelligence-Ring-bound/dp/1422008517

:slap:

which section deals with babysitting sectarian squabbles?:laugh2:

glockmail
02-22-2008, 10:23 AM
which section deals with babysitting sectarian squabbles?:laugh2:
Since part of the title reads "host nation forces", then probably quite a bit.

Unlike the Navy or Air Force, the Army has to deal with the indigenous population. This is really nothing new for them.

AFbombloader
02-22-2008, 11:39 AM

Unlike the Navy or Air Force, the Army has to deal with the indigenous population. This is really nothing new for them.

Hey! The Air Force deals with indigenous populations. We deal them cluster bombs, maverick missiles, JDAMS.........just kidding!

There are 1000's of Air Force Personel on the ground in Iraq and Afganisan dealing with the people you speak of. Give us a little of the credit. We aren't the majority of the force there, but it isn't out job. There is 100% air superiority, that is our job.

AF:salute:

retiredman
02-22-2008, 12:16 PM

host nation forces refers to armed forces. where does it discuss babysitting political squabbles amongst civilians? When has that EVER been a mission of the US military?

Gaffer
02-22-2008, 12:26 PM
host nation forces refers to armed forces. where does it discuss babysitting political squabbles amongst civilians? When has that EVER been a mission of the US military?

Since when has the military only been involved in one mission. There are units of the military dedicated to political problems among civilians. It started with WW2.

glockmail
02-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Hey! The Air Force deals with indigenous populations. We deal them cluster bombs, maverick missiles, JDAMS.........just kidding!

There are 1000's of Air Force Personel on the ground in Iraq and Afganisan dealing with the people you speak of. Give us a little of the credit. We aren't the majority of the force there, but it isn't out job. There is 100% air superiority, that is our job.

AF:salute: OK! You get credit with (in maineman's words) babysitting the locals.

glockmail
02-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Many times the "host forces" are local war lords, or simply mom and pop who help out with recon and support.

What's the number of recon and support personnel required to support a single fighting man? It must be huge.

retiredman
02-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Many times the "host forces" are local war lords, or simply mom and pop who help out with recon and support.

What's the number of recon and support personnel required to support a single fighting man? It must be huge.

If you've read Petraeus's field manual, I'd love to have you give some quotes about mom and pop operations and the military mission involved with internal Iraqi politics.

82Marine89
02-22-2008, 06:53 PM

When Clinton took office. :poke:

retiredman
02-22-2008, 09:32 PM
oh really? In which nation?

82Marine89
02-22-2008, 09:48 PM

oh really? In which nation?

The battle of Mogadishu? A squabble between local militia and citizens. Why were American troops somewhere we didn't belong? Clinton sent them there.

retiredman
02-22-2008, 10:08 PM
The battle of Mogadishu? A squabble between local militia and citizens. Why were American troops somewhere we didn't belong? Clinton sent them there.

you need to re-learn some history, my friend. I think you will find that Bush the First was the president who sent our troops to Somalia.

82Marine89
02-22-2008, 10:17 PM
you need to re-learn some history, my friend. I think you will find that Bush the First was the president who sent our troops to Somalia.

He did. On 4Dec92. It was to provide security for the UN relief workers providing food to starving Somalians.

Clinton took office 20Jan93.

In March of 93, the UN authorized UNOSOM II, which became a 'nation-building' mission. 4May93, Clinton handed over control of the US troops to the UN.

retiredman
02-22-2008, 10:19 PM
He did. On 4Dec92. It was to provide security for the UN relief workers providing food to starving Somalians.

Clinton took office 20Jan93.

In March of 93, the UN authorized UNOSOM II, which became a 'nation-building' mission. 4May93, Clinton handed over control of the US troops to the UN.

So...you admit that "Clinton didn't send them there"?

82Marine89
02-22-2008, 10:21 PM
So...you admit that "Clinton didn't send them there"?

Did I stutter or did your brain skip? Bush sent the Marines as security for UN relief workers. Clinton allowed the army to be used as nation-builders.

retiredman
02-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Did I stutter or did your brain skip? Bush sent the Marines as security for UN relief workers. Clinton allowed the army to be used as nation-builders.

Bush sent them in under UN cover... Clinton inherited it.

82Marine89
02-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Bush sent them in under UN cover... Clinton inherited it.

Now why would he send the Marines there under UN cover?

retiredman
02-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Now why would he send the Marines there under UN cover?

ask him

82Marine89
02-22-2008, 10:45 PM
ask him

You said it, now back it up.

retiredman
02-22-2008, 10:53 PM
You said it, now back it up.

easy
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/ambush/etc/cron.html

With only weeks left in his term as president, George Bush responds to the UN request, proposing that US combat troops lead an international UN force to secure the environment for relief operations. On December 5, the UN accepts his offer, and Bush orders 25,000 US troops into Somalia. On December 9th, the first US Marines land on the beach.

oops..... your turn, jarhead

manu1959
02-22-2008, 10:55 PM
easy

With only weeks left in his term as president, George Bush responds to the UN request, proposing that US combat troops lead an international UN force to secure the environment for relief operations. On December 5, the UN accepts his offer, and Bush orders 25,000 US troops into Somalia. On December 9th, the first US Marines land on the beach.

question.....who ordered the strike on the war lords that got our boys killed?.....btw they did get the guy if memory serves....

82Marine89
02-22-2008, 11:04 PM
easy

Squidward, I'm not denying Bush sent them. I posted that he did. What I am stating and you are refusing to address is that Clinton allowed them to be used as nation-builders and it resulted in the deaths of 18 Americans and injuries to 84 more.

retiredman
02-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Squidward, I'm not denying Bush sent them. I posted that he did. What I am stating and you are refusing to address is that Clinton allowed them to be used as nation-builders and it resulted in the deaths of 18 Americans and injuries to 84 more.

Clinton continued the mission started by his predecessor. Wanna blame someone for Americans being in harm's way in Somalia, blame Bush.

82Marine89
02-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Clinton continued the mission started by his predecessor. Wanna blame someone for Americans being in harm's way in Somalia, blame Bush.

Why didn't he just pull out? He's experienced at that.

retiredman
02-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Why didn't he just pull out? He's experienced at that.

it was a worthwhile mission.

the last gasp for those beaten badly in debates here is the lame attempt at humor. I accept your sword. adios.

82Marine89
02-23-2008, 03:03 PM
it was a worthwhile mission.

the last gasp for those beaten badly in debates here is the lame attempt at humor. I accept your sword. adios.

A worthwhile mission? Didn't you say...

How can you be against "babysitting political squabbles amongst civilians" and claim that this was a worthwhile mission? Weren't we babysitting a political squabble? Clinton kept us there as nation builders. Is that what our military is for? Because of your worthwhile mission 18 soldiers died and 84 more were awarded Purple Hearts. You consider that worthwhile?

retiredman
02-23-2008, 04:01 PM
A worthwhile mission? Didn't you say...

How can you be against "babysitting political squabbles amongst civilians" and claim that this was a worthwhile mission? Weren't we babysitting a political squabble? Clinton kept us there as nation builders. Is that what our military is for? Because of your worthwhile mission 18 soldiers died and 84 more were awarded Purple Hearts. You consider that worthwhile?

I do not look upon the mission that Bush the First got us into as babysitting a political squabble, but helping provide food to refugees.

and I think for you to castigate Clinton for 18 dead GI's while giving Bush a free pass on 3970 is disgusting.

82Marine89
02-23-2008, 04:26 PM
I do not look upon the mission that Bush the First got us into as babysitting a political squabble, but helping provide food to refugees.

and I think for you to castigate Clinton for 18 dead GI's while giving Bush a free pass on 3970 is disgusting.

I haven't given him a free pass, but that is not the topic here. What I am simply pointing out is that Clinton could have easily removed the troops, but he allowed them to be used as nation builders. That caused the unnecessary deaths and injuries of American servicemen.