PDA

View Full Version : Austin suburb considers shooting ban

gabosaurus
02-21-2008, 12:36 PM
A kid was killed by someone firing a gun in an open lot. So here is the reaction:

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/02/21/0221trampoline.html

Trigg
02-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Your link isn't working.

Was this within city limits? If so, I would think there is already a ban on firing weapons.

gabosaurus
02-21-2008, 12:39 PM
It is working. Try again.

Trigg
02-21-2008, 12:42 PM
maybe its just me. how about you cut and paste some of it.

gabosaurus
02-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Newspaper link is http://www.statesman.com

Next month, Hays County officials will consider a ban on shooting on lots smaller than 2 acres in unincorporated areas.

Discussions of a shooting ban came after the death of Daniel Galicia, 7, who was accidentally shot in April while jumping on a trampoline in his family's yard east of Kyle.

Investigators say neighbor Jose Espitia, a 37-year-old construction worker who lived less than half a mile away, fired the shot that killed Daniel. Espitia, who has been indicted on a manslaughter charge, told police that he had been target shooting in his backyard and couldn't even see the boy. No trial date has been set.

An 11-member committee of landowners, firearms experts and local enforcement officers worked on the proposed ban. Commissioners plan to discuss the proposal March 11.

It's legal to shoot in your backyard in Hays County, outside city limits, as long as you don't hurt anyone, damage others' property or fire across property lines or public roads. But as rural areas grow more suburban — Hays County's population has grown by more than a third in seven years, to more than 140,000 — some commissioners say it's time to change the rules.

Counties can regulate shooting on lots smaller than 10 acres within some older subdivisions in unincorporated areas. But the area where Daniel died would be exempt from any ban, because it was built before development rules required plat approval.

Trigg
02-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Newspaper link is http://www.statesman.com

I remember reading this now, sad story.

nevadamedic
02-21-2008, 01:25 PM
It is against the law to discharge a firearm in city limits anywhere if not in self defense.

Monkeybone
02-21-2008, 04:24 PM
i wanna know what he was shooting? a rifle i guess. otherwise it was into the air. and it's called a proper back stop ppl. sheesh. once the bullet hits that paper target it doesn't magically stop.

and it's usually an ordance for no shooting in city limits.

Dilloduck
02-21-2008, 05:14 PM
i wanna know what he was shooting? a rifle i guess. otherwise it was into the air. and it's called a proper back stop ppl. sheesh. once the bullet hits that paper target it doesn't magically stop.

and it's usually an ordance for no shooting in city limits.

It wasn't in the city limits----it's basically the county south and west of Austin that has exploded with home building. The guy simply didnt practice basic firemarm safety.

5stringJeff
02-21-2008, 06:10 PM
It is against the law to discharge a firearm in city limits anywhere if not in self defense.

Depends on what city you're in.