PDA

View Full Version : Eminent psychiatrist: Liberalism is indeed a mental disorder

Little-Acorn
02-21-2008, 03:13 PM
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=56494

Top psychiatrist concludes liberals clinically nuts

Eminent psychiatrist makes case ideology is mental disorder

Posted: February 15, 2008
3:40 pm Eastern

WASHINGTON – Just when liberals thought it was safe to start identifying themselves as such, an acclaimed, veteran psychiatrist is making the case that the ideology motivating them is actually a mental disorder.

"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs and emotions, modern liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded," says Dr. Lyle Rossiter, author of the new book, "The Liberal Mind: The Psychological Causes of Political Madness." "Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood and demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave."

While political activists on the other side of the spectrum have made similar observations, Rossiter boasts professional credentials and a life virtually free of activism and links to "the vast right-wing conspiracy."

For more than 35 years he has diagnosed and treated more than 1,500 patients as a board-certified clinical psychiatrist and examined more than 2,700 civil and criminal cases as a board-certified forensic psychiatrist. He received his medical and psychiatric training at the University of Chicago.

Hagbard Celine
02-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Thank you. I'll keep this book in mind for the next time I run out of toilet paper.

glockmail
02-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Thank you. I'll keep this book in mind for the next time I run out of toilet paper.
Closed minded much? :laugh2:

Little-Acorn
02-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Closed minded much? :laugh2:

How do you figure? He just said he would apply it to his mind when needed.

We can ask no more from a flaming leftist.

Abbey Marie
02-21-2008, 04:49 PM

Kind of buttresses (pun intended) the author's assertions (pun intended again), doesn't it? :laugh2:

truthmatters
02-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Well , well , well.

I guess anyone who was convicted on his testimony will now have grounds to have their convictions overturned because this proves he is insane.

Hes retired now.

He never would have written this clap trap while he needed employment.

He is a forenzic pshyciatrist and would have never gotten another contract to testify at a trial if he had.

How many convicts lawyers are now reviewing their cases because he has been proven to be a right wing hack?

Dilloduck
02-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Well , well , well.

I guess anyone who was convicted on his testimony will now have grounds to have their convictions overturned because this proves he is insane.

Hes retired now.

He is a forenzic pshyciatrist and would have never gotten another contract to testify at a trial if he had.

How many convicts lawyers are now reviewing their cases because he has been proven to be a right wing hack?

Having a mental disorder doesn't mean one is insane.

Gaffer
02-21-2008, 05:30 PM
I think he pegged liberals pretty well. And his opinion of politicians has nothing to do with his ability to perform his job or testify in court. Nor does his overall opinion of liberals.

jimnyc
02-21-2008, 05:31 PM

I wonder how he would comment if he did a "study" on TM? He would probably conclude that "96% of her brain cells have evaporated due to being dormant for so long".

glockmail
02-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Well , well , well.

Hes retired now.

How does this disqualify him for being hired or used as an expert? Isn't he entitled to his opinion, medical or otherwise?

truthmatters
02-21-2008, 05:42 PM
He has an obvious problem being objective.

If this book had been written while he was in practice a lawyer could have brought the book up in his vetting for testimony and he would have very likely been deemed a biased witness. You see we do have judges who might find such rabid politizing ones own profession as an indicator that someone has a hard time being unbiased.

jimnyc
02-21-2008, 05:43 PM
He has an obvious problem being objective.

You just summed yourself up in one short and sweet sentence. Just add an "S" before your first letter and you're all set.

Hobbit
02-21-2008, 07:43 PM
So a scientist's methods and data are automatically fraudulent because you don't like the conclusion? I'm somewhat skeptical, as I am of most types of mental illness, but I'm not going to dismiss what he has to say until I see some facts.

Dilloduck
02-21-2008, 07:49 PM
So a scientist's methods and data are automatically fraudulent because you don't like the conclusion? I'm somewhat skeptical, as I am of most types of mental illness, but I'm not going to dismiss what he has to say until I see some facts.

Mental disorders and mental illness aren't the same but I can certainly agree that a lot of the science is pretty vague. Some, however is quite precise.

Yurt
02-21-2008, 09:44 PM
[url]

Dr. Rossiter says the liberal agenda preys on weakness and feelings of inferiority in the population by:

* creating and reinforcing perceptions of victimization;
* satisfying infantile claims to entitlement, indulgence and compensation;
* augmenting primitive feelings of envy;
* rejecting the sovereignty of the individual, subordinating him to the will of the government.

"The roots of liberalism – and its associated madness – can be clearly identified by understanding how children develop from infancy to adulthood and how distorted development produces the irrational beliefs of the liberal mind," he says. "When the modern liberal mind whines about imaginary victims, rages against imaginary villains and seeks above all else to run the lives of persons competent to run their own lives, the neurosis of the liberal mind becomes painfully obvious."

those naysayers out there, care to factually or logically show how this theory is wrong? fly by crap in the cans don't count....

diuretic
02-21-2008, 11:57 PM
those naysayers out there, care to factually or logically show how this theory is wrong? fly by crap in the cans don't count....

Does he suggest a cure?

Yurt
02-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Does he suggest a cure?

give up your liberal ways :laugh2:

glockmail
02-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Does he suggest a cure? Move to Cuba.

PostmodernProphet
02-22-2008, 09:05 AM

hah, overspending on toilet paper.....another sign of liberal irrationality.....

Hagbard Celine
02-22-2008, 11:24 AM
This is f*cking ridiculous. This is why I hate the fact that I keep coming back to this website and talking to you idiots. Yes, idiots. The fact that an actual "discussion" about this nonsense has broken out amongst you is proof of the pudding. Put aside your usual sexually frustrated warhawk hannity brainwashing conservative bs for a second and think about what this guy is asserting. Essentially 49 percent of the US populace (maybe more now that we've all had a good dose of Bush Co. for the past eight years) identifies and votes with the so-called "liberal" party in this country. 49 percent! In other words, this imbecile and all that agree with him are asserting that essentially half of the US population suffers from some sort of mental illness that keeps them from voting Republican. It's preposterous. And yet, the "conservative" geniuses on this site have jumped at the chance to entertain the idea. I can't believe we allow you people to get drivers licenses, much less that you're being allowed to vote. We might as well unleash an army of chimps armed with flare guns out into the streets. Sheesh.

truthmatters
02-22-2008, 11:45 AM
They are just stuck in a pattern HC. When you project this out into the world it is the majority of the western countries they would have to include in this insane catagory.

Imagine who in the world would agree with them?

They are not the places people wnat to live are they.

This was a silly political book one man wrote who waited till he was retired to write. He knew full well if he wrote such clap trap while he needed employement he would have damaged his carreer. Its jsut a joke book.

Gaffer
02-22-2008, 11:48 AM
This is f*cking ridiculous. This is why I hate the fact that I keep coming back to this website and talking to you idiots. Yes, idiots. The fact that an actual "discussion" about this nonsense has broken out amongst you is proof of the pudding. Put aside your usual sexually frustrated warhawk hannity brainwashing conservative bs for a second and think about what this guy is asserting. Essentially 49 percent of the US populace (maybe more now that we've all had a good dose of Bush Co. for the past eight years) identifies and votes with the so-called "liberal" party in this country. 49 percent! In other words, this imbecile and all that agree with him are asserting that essentially half of the US population suffers from some sort of mental illness that keeps them from voting Republican. It's preposterous. And yet, the "conservative" geniuses on this site have jumped at the chance to entertain the idea. I can't believe we allow you people to get drivers licenses, much less that you're being allowed to vote. We might as well unleash an army of chimps armed with flare guns out into the streets. Sheesh.

A prime example of what he's saying. Instead of shaking your head and moving on you go on a rant.

glockmail
02-22-2008, 01:26 PM
A prime example of what he's saying. Instead of shaking your head and moving on you go on a rant. Nice zing there!

truthmatters
02-22-2008, 05:52 PM
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=56494

Eminent psychiatrist makes case ideology is mental disorder

Posted: February 15, 2008
3:40 pm Eastern

WASHINGTON – Just when liberals thought it was safe to start identifying themselves as such, an acclaimed, veteran psychiatrist is making the case that the ideology motivating them is actually a mental disorder.

"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs and emotions, modern liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded," says Dr. Lyle Rossiter, author of the new book, "The Liberal Mind: The Psychological Causes of Political Madness." "Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood and demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave."

While political activists on the other side of the spectrum have made similar observations, Rossiter boasts professional credentials and a life virtually free of activism and links to "the vast right-wing conspiracy."

For more than 35 years he has diagnosed and treated more than 1,500 patients as a board-certified clinical psychiatrist and examined more than 2,700 civil and criminal cases as a board-certified forensic psychiatrist. He received his medical and psychiatric training at the University of Chicago.

I really think this is just a joke

Microcosmos
02-22-2008, 06:14 PM
I think. And a Democratic House and Congress. And a Democratic-nominated Supreme Court. Just imagine the reaction if a Democrat actually wins! The Conservatives here will pull out every loony theory they can get their hands on to prove how loony we libs are! My 2¢.

Little-Acorn
02-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Looks like nobody has been able to disprove any of the points Dr. Rossiter made. Just the usual changes of subject, bathroom references, screeches of rage, insults, namecalling, and repetitions of "No it isn't! No it isn't!".

Evidence is mounting rapidly on this board: Dr. Rossiter has nailed it. Liberalism IS a mental disorder. :clap:

Sitarro
02-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Didn't I just read today that Hillary and her merry band of liberals spent 95,000 dollars at a low end supermarket-deli last month in Des Moines? That seems nuts to me.:coffee:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02222008/news/nationalnews/deli_pigout_a_clinton_gut_buter_98798.htm

truthmatters
02-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Indicted for screwing the US out of billions of dollars and people try to do anything they can to avoid talking about it.

Now I would call that being stupid.

02-22-2008, 07:39 PM

What exactly do you think is intelligent about expecting others to give you what you want?

02-22-2008, 07:41 PM
I think. And a Democratic House and Congress. And a Democratic-nominated Supreme Court. Just imagine the reaction if a Democrat actually wins! The Conservatives here will pull out every loony theory they can get their hands on to prove how loony we libs are! My 2¢.

dont need loony theories. its obvious that people always blame others for their problems have issues.

diuretic
02-22-2008, 07:53 PM
give up your liberal ways :laugh2:

Abstinence is doomed to failure :laugh2:

diuretic
02-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Looks like nobody has been able to disprove any of the points Dr. Rossiter made. Just the usual changes of subject, bathroom references, screeches of rage, insults, namecalling, and repetitions of "No it isn't! No it isn't!".

Evidence is mounting rapidly on this board: Dr. Rossiter has nailed it. Liberalism IS a mental disorder. :clap:

I'm not a psychiatrist. I have no ability to counter any of his points. I am, however, interested in reading the views of other psychiatrists on his book.

Dilloduck
02-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Abstinence is doomed to failure :laugh2:

heck---I gave up abstinence cold turkey. :laugh2:

diuretic
02-22-2008, 08:06 PM
heck---I gave up abstinence cold turkey. :laugh2:

Yay! As Oscar Wilde said, "I can resist everything except temptation" :D

truthmatters
02-22-2008, 08:09 PM
dont need loony theories. its obvious that people always blame others for their problems have issues.

Whos at fault for our failures in Iraq?

Gaffer
02-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Whos at fault for our failures in Iraq?

You are!

truthmatters
02-22-2008, 08:19 PM
can you explain that claim?

Dilloduck
02-22-2008, 08:29 PM
can you explain that claim?

I think you've been entirely succcesfull at proving that life is not fair.---now run along. We all know that already.

Yurt
02-22-2008, 11:08 PM

LOOOL, dude, if anyone is "frustrated" .....

manu1959
02-22-2008, 11:11 PM

de nile ..... sad very sad.....probably at least two sessions a week....

typomaniac
02-22-2008, 11:18 PM

There's nothing mentally flawed about insulting someone if the target deserves to be insulted.

For you and "doctor" Lyle -> :ahole:

typomaniac
02-22-2008, 11:19 PM

Bravo!

A hundred years ago, a doctor like this could have written the same thing about "Negroes" and these dolts would all be jumping on that bandwagon.

red states rule
02-23-2008, 07:29 AM

That is what we need to avoid. Do you remember the glory days of Pres Peanut Carter? The terrorists will be giddy over the party of surrneder and appeasement un charge of national defense.

We do not need any loony theory to prove how nuttyy libs are - you do that for us when you speak about your polices

And what happened to libs whining about one party controlling all three government branches? Libs demanded "power sharing" when Republicans swept the House and Senate

I do not hear any libs talking about that now

glockmail
02-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Bravo!

A hundred years ago, a doctor like this could have written the same thing about "Negroes" and these dolts would all be jumping on that bandwagon.

Here's what the doctor wrote: "Based on strikingly irrational beliefs and emotions, modern liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded...".

So how, exactly, were negros 100 years ago like that?

Classact
02-25-2008, 09:41 AM
This is f*cking ridiculous. This is why I hate the fact that I keep coming back to this website and talking to you idiots. Yes, idiots. The fact that an actual "discussion" about this nonsense has broken out amongst you is proof of the pudding. Put aside your usual sexually frustrated warhawk hannity brainwashing conservative bs for a second and think about what this guy is asserting. Essentially 49 percent of the US populace (maybe more now that we've all had a good dose of Bush Co. for the past eight years) identifies and votes with the so-called "liberal" party in this country. 49 percent! In other words, this imbecile and all that agree with him are asserting that essentially half of the US population suffers from some sort of mental illness that keeps them from voting Republican. It's preposterous. And yet, the "conservative" geniuses on this site have jumped at the chance to entertain the idea. I can't believe we allow you people to get drivers licenses, much less that you're being allowed to vote. We might as well unleash an army of chimps armed with flare guns out into the streets. Sheesh.Political liberal and liberal are two different things, see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_liberal

Logic resigned is liberal: No drilling for oil in America... no war to assure oil from Mid East. Where does our energy come from? Build a damn, no it hurts fish, build a nuke plant, no it could hurt us, build a windmill, no it hurts birds, burn coal, no it hurts the environment, burn wood, no it hurts the animals and the environment... denial of reality!

The Democratic Party that sometimes gains more than 50% of the voters votes are not all liberal. The party is made up of many small groups that actually hate each others points of view as much as they dislike conservatives position that opposes their reason for supporting the Democratic Party. Within the Democratic Party are a strange breed of Democrats that even conservatives like myself respect, they like a balanced budget, strong military and hate illegal immigration... they are known as Blue Dogs and they are despised by the Black and Hispanic Caucuses of the Democratic Party. Many Democratic voters hate blacks, gays, Mexicans and foreigners of all types and dislike social programs but just dearly love the Democrats support for UNIONS. Environmental and Anti War Waccos hate everyone that doesn't support their agendas 100% within the party... to say the Democratic Party is liberal is a true statement but to say Democratic Party voters are liberal is just ignorance.

Liberal is a normal state of life related to immaturity... like a farm kid raising a calf to learn he has been feeding and caring for it so someone can eat it, or a city kid being reared loving fish, chicken and beef to learn that someone has to kill an animal for him to eat it. A state of denial in all humans of the reality of life that dwells to extremes in liberals. The extremes of the Democratic Party that is "classic liberal" are immature mentally challenged persons living in denial.

Hagbard Celine
02-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Political liberal and liberal are two different things, see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_liberal

Logic resigned is liberal: No drilling for oil in America... no war to assure oil from Mid East. Where does our energy come from? Build a damn, no it hurts fish, build a nuke plant, no it could hurt us, build a windmill, no it hurts birds, burn coal, no it hurts the environment, burn wood, no it hurts the animals and the environment... denial of reality!

The Democratic Party that sometimes gains more than 50% of the voters votes are not all liberal. The party is made up of many small groups that actually hate each others points of view as much as they dislike conservatives position that opposes their reason for supporting the Democratic Party. Within the Democratic Party are a strange breed of Democrats that even conservatives like myself respect, they like a balanced budget, strong military and hate illegal immigration... they are known as Blue Dogs and they are despised by the Black and Hispanic Caucuses of the Democratic Party. Many Democratic voters hate blacks, gays, Mexicans and foreigners of all types and dislike social programs but just dearly love the Democrats support for UNIONS. Environmental and Anti War Waccos hate everyone that doesn't support their agendas 100% within the party... to say the Democratic Party is liberal is a true statement but to say Democratic Party voters are liberal is just ignorance.

Liberal is a normal state of life related to immaturity... like a farm kid raising a calf to learn he has been feeding and caring for it so someone can eat it, or a city kid being reared loving fish, chicken and beef to learn that someone has to kill an animal for him to eat it. A state of denial in all humans of the reality of life that dwells to extremes in liberals. The extremes of the Democratic Party that is "classic liberal" are immature mentally challenged persons living in denial.

I take offense to the notion that my view of the world is a "mental disorder." First of all, the very notion is offensive mostly because it belies the ugly face of ya'll's and what I view as mainstream America's ignorance and gullibility, secondly it's an insult designed specifically to belittle myself and 49 percent of the public at large based on nothing more than religion-based discrimination, which is of course, the foundational building block of modern or "neo-conservatism." Vocal Conservatives base their opinions of all so-called "liberals" on the actions of a few vocal, radical, special interest groups. Of course, vocal libs do the same thing to their counter-parts, so the only conclusion one can make is that any person who applies blanket labels to a large group of people, especially when those labels are based upon absolutely nothing, is that the person in question is a supreme moron. If you look at the world in black and white and do not acknowledge the fact that every person and circumstance is different and requiring of individual consideration based on the facts, then you're no better than a chimp and you should be treated as such.

Broadly speaking, liberalism emphasizes individual rights and equality of opportunity. Different forms of liberalism may propose very different policies, but they are generally united by their support for a number of principles, including extensive freedom of thought and speech, limitations on the power of governments, the rule of law, the free exchange of ideas, a market or mixed economy, and a transparent system of government.[2] All liberals — as well as some adherents of other political ideologies — support some variant of the form of government known as liberal democracy, with open and fair elections, where all citizens have equal rights by law.[3]

Liberalism rejected many foundational assumptions that dominated most earlier theories of government, such as the Divine Right of Kings, hereditary status, and established religion. Social progressivism, the belief that traditions do not carry any inherent value and social practices ought to be continuously adjusted for the greater benefit of humanity, is a common component of liberal ideology. Liberalism is also strongly associated with the belief that human society should be organized in accordance with certain unchangeable and inviolable rights. Different schools of liberalism are based on different conceptions of human rights, but there are some rights that all liberals support to some extent, including rights to life, liberty, and property.

The fact of the matter remains: Liberal thought is THE catalyzing factor behind every major societal change in human history. It's the reason we're not living under the rule of a king. It's the reason the Vatican isn't still the supreme court of the land. And it's the reason the United States exists in the first place. If human society were meant to stagnate in the status-quo and if liberal thought were indeed a mental disorder as this quack and you, his apostles, postulate then why does it always seem to overpower and expound upon the precious establishment conservatism seeks to preserve?

Classact
02-25-2008, 12:46 PM
I take offense to the notion that my view of the world is a "mental disorder." First of all, the very notion is offensive mostly because it belies the ugly face of ya'll's and what I view as mainstream America's ignorance and gullibility, secondly it's an insult designed specifically to belittle myself and 49 percent of the public at large based on nothing more than religion-based discrimination, which is of course, the foundational building block of modern or "neo-conservatism." Vocal Conservatives base their opinions of all so-called "liberals" on the actions of a few vocal, radical, special interest groups. Of course, vocal libs do the same thing to their counter-parts, so the only conclusion one can make is that any person who applies blanket labels to a large group of people, especially when those labels are based upon absolutely nothing, is that the person in question is a supreme moron. If you look at the world in black and white and do not acknowledge the fact that every person and circumstance is different and requiring of individual consideration based on the facts, then you're no better than a chimp and you should be treated as such.Please select a Democrat leader that represents what liberal means to you. The Democratic Party is quite young. Actions speak much louder than words and the actions of the Democratic Party have damaged America more than any other period in American history.

The fact of the matter remains: Liberal thought is THE catalyzing factor behind every major societal change in human history. It's the reason we're not living under the rule of a king. It's the reason the Vatican isn't still the supreme court of the land. And it's the reason the United States exists in the first place. If human society were meant to stagnate in the status-quo and if liberal thought were indeed a mental disorder as this quack and you, his apostles, postulate then why does it always seem to overpower and expound upon the precious establishment conservatism seeks to preserve? The United States was founded on progressive conservatism... We were not compelled to war with the King for liberal values but rather oppression. The US federal government and the constitution are soundly based on Judeo-Christian values and traditional conservative values of the time and not "liberal values". The President is selected by an Electoral College made up of persons selected by the richest and most powerful men form the group of states regardless of how the people vote... The Senators selected by the same group of rich and powerful... the people that voted were limited to property owners, non property owners, debtors (indentured servants) and slaves could not vote. In some states voters consisted of only the very richest and powerful. In other states of the North East voters were limited to property owners down to shoe shop owners... The constitution limited the power of the little property owner by using an Electoral College to select the correct President should they vote wrong. Where have I gone wrong so far? Oh, the Peoples House, the House of Representatives elected by property owners directly from each district... The Constitution: The President and the Senate appointed by the rich and powerful... the House elected by the people... checks and balance, yes the Senate can stop dead anything from the House... and the constitution clearly states that the President can dismiss congress if a problem is unresolved between them... he can just send them packing... That is hardly "liberal"! I would say that is Social Darwinism or the pecking order... a persons value is their position in life based on wealth and power. The freedoms are guaranteed for all persons to strive equally in this combat to float to the top and not to adjust the bottom to the top floating equally together. Social Conservatism and free market capitalism based on Social Darwinism, freedom within a community that respects the rules of God and the rule of law. The rule of law... the liberal thought, well no, it was common law, the same law created by the church folks that dominated the time in history... the same Harvard law school law that Judged the Salem witch trials... Hardly liberal. Common law of the people being administered by the jury of the people (Judge rich property owner) Jury just citizens including debtors.
:cheers2:

diuretic
02-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Has this bloke come up with a cure yet? :laugh2:

glockmail
02-25-2008, 04:44 PM
....The fact of the matter remains: Liberal thought is THE catalyzing factor behind every major societal change in human history. It's the reason we're not living under the rule of a king. It's the reason the Vatican isn't still the supreme court of the land. And it's the reason the United States exists in the first place. If human society were meant to stagnate in the status-quo and if liberal thought were indeed a mental disorder as this quack and you, his apostles, postulate then why does it always seem to overpower and expound upon the precious establishment conservatism seeks to preserve? You and Wiki are confused with the contemporary meaning of the word: "Liberal". It is defined by your contemporary leaders, like Pelosi, Reid, Clinton, Obama, Mike Moore and Rosie O'Donell.