PDA

View Full Version : How (illegal) immigration and inflation are linked

82Marine89
02-22-2008, 10:44 PM
The two "i" words are back in the news, one more prominently than the other. The more prominent is "inflation." The less prominent at the moment is "immigration" (of the illegal variety). The two issues are more closely tied than one would think. None of the three remaining major-party candidates for president has a realistic plan to resolve immigration's contribution to the problem.

Inflation moved from minor concern to major concern this week for the Federal Reserve Board. Chairman Ben Bernanke has aggressively cut interest rates by 2.25 percent since September to try to prevent an economic implosion. But he has to balance recession concerns against the possibility that deep interest-rate cuts might also pump up inflation, as the January report on consumer prices showed a surprisingly steep rate of 0.4 percent. Wall Street fears deep cuts in interest rates might serve to trigger inflation while simultaneously failing to spur growth. Then Americans could end up hearing a revival of a word we haven't heard in a few decades: stagflation.

How are illegal immigration and inflation tied together? In 2005, Bear, Stearns Senior Managing Director Robert Justich and a team of his economists issued a study on the impact of illegal immigration on U.S. economic indicators. They found that undocumented immigrants account for some 8 percent of American workers, a much higher figure than the government reports. Justich's report explained that the number of people counted in productivity calculations is artificially boosted when there are more people working than are reported to the government. American productivity is based on the amount our economy produces divided by the number of people working. If there are a lot more people working than the government takes into account, this makes productivity look artificially high. It can also help to conceal underlying inflation.

My personal belief is that inflation is and has been a lot higher than the government has been reporting, and undocumented workers play a large part in concealing the true inflation rate.

How would presidential candidates Barack Obama, Hillary Rodham Clinton and John McCain deal with illegal immigration? In remarkably similar fashion and, at the same time, ineptly. All three want some form of increased border control and a "path to citizenship" (to wit, amnesty) for everyone already here illegally. Their plans sound alarmingly close to the 1986 Immigration Reform and Control Act, which failed miserably in preventing two decades of increased illegal immigration. And so will amnesty in this decade.

Click for full text... (http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/30874)

JohnDoe
02-22-2008, 11:34 PM
This makes sense!

I have thought for quite a while that the gvt has been doctoring the books or something because for some reason, inflation has not been showing up, when i swear it seems like it is in the here and now to me?

I can understand how immigrants working and not being counted in productivity rates would make our productivity rate look higher than it actually is and give us a false sense of accomplishment.

I just don't understand how having a lower actual productivity rate than being reported has anything to do with inflation being masked by the illegals??? How does it relate? I haven't read the rest of the article yet and maybe it explains it, but if you know off hand I'd like to know?

jd

PostmodernProphet
02-23-2008, 07:36 AM
This makes sense!

I disagree....there is a much more obvious reason for the current inflation situation, and that is the cost of imported oil......

April15
02-23-2008, 01:24 PM
As the information coming out of this administration has been doctored since Bush took office I can not say as I have given much credence to anything produced by the bushco. To say that illegals have skewed the reports is plain common sense. From what I have seen and heard a large amount of American money is sent abroad never to come back as a consumable product or investment. That in itself is not good.

JohnDoe
02-24-2008, 05:46 AM
I disagree....there is a much more obvious reason for the current inflation situation, and that is the cost of imported oil......
It makes sense on "productivity increases" that have been recorded and given to us... it kept showing that Americans were producing more and more per individual, which looked good....yet the numbers did not show our salaries going up with our increased production....?

Turns out we were not producing more and more each year per individual, but that there were millions of people producing but not being counted in the "individual" or productivity numbers....all of our illegals are producing the increased amounts is the bottom line....not us.

That is what i said makes sense. As far as our productivity numbers being fake, i don't know how that relates to inflation....or, i still do not understand the author's point on how illegals or these fake productivity numbers affect inflation?

so, i was not agreeing on the inflation part....was not certain on it...

I personally think only one thing is affecting us regarding inflation and that is the cost of OIL and it's by products, and the cost of trying to eliminate/reduce oil consumption via ethanol....bringing the cost of grains up thus the cost of food like meats, milk, milk byproducts, cheese, breads, pastas, etc....

jd

Pale Rider
02-24-2008, 02:47 PM
...... They found that undocumented immigrants account for some 8 percent of American workers, a much higher figure than the government reports....

What exactly is an "undocumented immigrant?" How can there be such a thing? Oh wait.... that's right... "undocumented immigrant" is the PC, watered down, sugary, warm and fuzzy, liberal crap spin name for an "ILLEGAL ALIEN."