PDA

View Full Version : Calif. prison strip searches reviewed after viewing on live video

LiberalNation
02-23-2008, 05:40 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080223/ap_on_re_us/california_prison_strip_searches;_ylt=Ar5ITn8UiCsT Nag78uf_SXZvzwcF

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - California corrections officials on Friday said they are investigating whether guards at a Southern California prison improperly watched video of female inmates being strip-searched.

The investigation arose after the husband of an inmate, during a visit earlier this month, noticed about six male and female guards gathered around a video monitor in the reception area for prison visitors.

The black-and-white monitor showed female guards searching women in a nearby room typically used for visitation.

"It's totally nude," said Rick Stachowicz, describing what he saw on the monitors. "They're standing on their socks, reaching for the ceiling, lifting up their breasts. I was trying to look and not look."

His wife, Christina, is in the California Institution for Women in Corona for a probation violation. She was among the women searched Feb. 2, when he said the guards were gathered around the video monitor.

"She's feeling progressively violated by it," Stachowicz said.

Under corrections department rules, strip-searches are to be performed in private and are not allowed to be watched on a video monitor. Female inmates also must be searched by female guards.

Stachowicz complained to prison authorities and received an e-mail Feb. 4 from Capt. Dean Borders, who was responding on behalf of prison Warden Dawn Davison.

"This behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated by the administration," Borders wrote. "We pride ourselves on being the model for other female institutions to follow, and to have this occur in our visiting area is unfathomable."

He apologized and said the matter was being investigated and that staff would be dealt with appropriately.

Borders said the visiting room would no longer be used for strip-searches. Since the complaint, inmates are being searched in restrooms or attorney conference rooms that are not under camera surveillance.

The video monitor also was moved from a table in the public reception area to a private office.

Corrections Department spokeswoman Terry Thornton said investigators have so far found no indication of wrongdoing after getting statements from guards and visitors.

diuretic
02-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Why they'd bother is totally beyond me. I mean, what could be less erotic than watching something like this?

Psychoblues
02-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Never underestimate the drive of the voyeuristic crowd. They are indeed evil.

diuretic
02-24-2008, 01:19 AM
Never underestimate the drive of the voyeuristic crowd. They are indeed evil.

They should just get the internets :D

Seriously though, if someone got a kick out of that, then the next kick they get should be out of their job.

Psychoblues
02-24-2008, 02:18 AM
The internets just ain't like live camera from the cell only feet away, doc. Seriously, I have been there, seen it and remain totally revulsed by it. Others can't get enough of it.

They should just get the internets :D

Seriously though, if someone got a kick out of that, then the next kick they get should be out of their job.

Out of a job? I thought so, you think so, what's the prob?

diuretic
02-24-2008, 03:04 AM
Can't see a problem with it myself. If they get a kick out of that than it seems to me that they're not psychologically suitable for that work. I mean, I'd be thinking that the safety of the female inmates might be at risk for a start.

Psychoblues
02-24-2008, 03:20 AM
There are a lot of good cops out there, doc, but there are also a lot of them that need to be in psyciatric therapy if not in prison on their own accords.

Can't see a problem with it myself. If they get a kick out of that than it seems to me that they're not psychologically suitable for that work. I mean, I'd be thinking that the safety of the female inmates might be at risk for a start.

diuretic
02-24-2008, 07:46 AM
There are a lot of good cops out there, doc, but there are also a lot of them that need to be in psyciatric therapy if not in prison on their own accords.

When I was an angry young man I would have said most of them were bosses :laugh2:

Psychoblues
02-27-2008, 02:42 AM
Maybe it's a professional culture thing, doc. Australia doesn't have a pristine record on these voyeuristic accusations either, don't you know?

When I was an angry young man I would have said most of them were bosses :laugh2:

Bosses? Is that the problem? I think I can agree.

diuretic
02-27-2008, 02:46 AM
Maybe it's a professional culture thing, doc. Australia doesn't have a pristine record on these voyeuristic accusations either, don't you know?

Bosses? Is that the problem? I think I can agree.

It's not part of the professional culture anywhere PB - it's deviant behaviour by definition. It may be part of a deviant sub-culture but not part of the mainstream, I'm happy to report.

Psychoblues
02-27-2008, 03:16 AM
Dig that, doc!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not part of the professional culture anywhere PB - it's deviant behaviour by definition. It may be part of a deviant sub-culture but not part of the mainstream, I'm happy to report.

Thanks for clearing that up for you, for me and most everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diuretic
02-27-2008, 03:17 AM
:D

Psychoblues
02-27-2008, 03:32 AM
:cheers2:

:D

Again, :cheers2:

nevadamedic
02-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Why they'd bother is totally beyond me. I mean, what could be less erotic than watching something like this?

This is something you would expect Psychoblues to be doing................

Psychoblues
03-03-2008, 12:41 AM
If you are saying that I would be reporting you on this issue, you would be correct, Mr. NM Weakness!!!!!!!!! You couldn't stand it it, could you, nm? Anyone interfering with your voyuerism is your enemy, correct?