PDA

View Full Version : Democrats Draft Plan to Limit Iraq Mission

stephanie
02-23-2007, 01:22 AM
Here it is folks.....The Democrats stabbing our military in the back again......All for Political gains....This is your Democrat Party....Stand Proud....

By DAVID ESPO
AP
WASHINGTON (Feb. 22) - Determined to challenge President Bush , Senate Democrats are drafting legislation to limit the mission of U.S. troops in Iraq , effectively revoking the broad authority Congress granted in 2002, officials said Thursday.

Challenging Bush's Authority

Kevin Wolf, AP
The decision to try to limit the military mission marks the next move in what Sen. Harry Reid, center, and other Senate war critics have said will be a multi-step effort to change Bush's war strategy.

The Stump: Congressional Dems Make Move on Iraq

Talk About It: Post Thoughts
While these officials said the precise wording of the measure remains unsettled, one draft would restrict American troops in Iraq to combating al-Qaida, training Iraqi army and police forces, maintaining Iraq's territorial integrity and otherwise proceeding with the withdrawal of combat forces.

The officials, Democratic aides and others familiar with private discussions, spoke only on condition of anonymity, saying rank-and-file senators had not yet been briefed on the effort. They added, though, the Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is expected to present the proposal to fellow Democrats early next week for their consideration.

The plan is to attempt to add the measure to anti-terrorism legislation that scheduled to be on the Senate floor next week and the week following.

Jim Manley, a spokesman for Reid, declined to discuss the deliberations, saying only, "No final decisions have been made on how to proceed." Any attempt to limit Bush's powers as commander in chief would likely face strong opposition from Republican allies of the administration in the Senate and could also face a veto threat.

The decision to try to limit the military mission marks the next move in what Reid and other Senate war critics have said will be a multistep effort to force a change in Bush's strategy and eventually force an end to U.S. participation in the nearly four-year-old war.
Earlier efforts to pass a nonbinding measure critical of Bush's decision to deploy 21,500 additional troops ended in gridlock after Senate Republicans blocked votes on two separate measures.

The emerging Senate plan differs markedly from an approach favored by critics of the war in the House, where a nonbinding measure passed last week.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi has said she expects the next challenge to Bush's war policies to come in the form of legislation requiring the Pentagon to adhere to strict training and readiness standards in the case of troops ticketed for the war zone.

The rest of the shit........http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/democrats-draft-plan-to-limit-iraq/20070222214409990001?cid=2194

Nuc
02-23-2007, 01:46 AM
I am so bored with this "war". I don't think we should have ever entered it. Any bunch of people who would tolerate a dictator deserve a dictator. If they were not willing to stand up for their own rights, why should we? If they were not willing to fight for their own freedom why should American, European and Australian boys die for it? If the Iraqis had started a revolt against Saddam on their own, I wouldn't have opposed helping them out, but to go in there as puppetmasters and try to build something like a revolt with a bunch of complacent slugs is ridiculous. Leave them to their own mess. :salute:

02-23-2007, 01:53 AM
I am so bored with this "war". I don't think we should have ever entered it. Any bunch of people who would tolerate a dictator deserve a dictator. If they were not willing to stand up for their own rights, why should we? If they were not willing to fight for their own freedom why should American, European and Australian boys die for it? If the Iraqis had started a revolt against Saddam on their own, I wouldn't have opposed helping them out, but to go in there as puppetmasters and try to build something like a revolt with a bunch of complacent slugs is ridiculous. Leave them to their own mess. :salute:

Problem is if we live them to their mess it will be a huge mess and we will still have to clean up. Id rather put the effort in now than later.

Nuc
02-23-2007, 02:04 AM
Problem is if we live them to their mess it will be a huge mess and we will still have to clean up. Id rather put the effort in now than later.

I guess I was questioning the wisdom of going in there in the first place. Do you really think the Mideast will ever get "cleaned up"? I don't. People are crazy over there. Maybe Europe was like that for a long time as well but there was also a high culture running side by side with the insanity. Mideast is just disgusting through and through. I like felafels though!

02-23-2007, 02:50 PM
I guess I was questioning the wisdom of going in there in the first place. Do you really think the Mideast will ever get "cleaned up"? I don't. People are crazy over there. Maybe Europe was like that for a long time as well but there was also a high culture running side by side with the insanity. Mideast is just disgusting through and through. I like felafels though!

Yes i do. I just think it takes alot of work.

LiberalNation
02-23-2007, 03:09 PM
I wonder if they could pass their plan.

glockmail
02-23-2007, 03:26 PM

That would be fine if it weren't for the fact that Saddam was supporting terrorism against the US and our interests.

Gaffer
02-23-2007, 04:57 PM
It's the congress interferring with the presidents authority again. Another war going down the tubes because congress wants to run everything. They are starting to get out of hand up there. They are the reason we are still losing troops in iraq. They encourage our enemies with their bullshit grabs for power.

LiberalNation
02-23-2007, 05:03 PM
It's going down the tubes with Bush running everything anyway.

manu1959
02-23-2007, 05:10 PM
when / if they pass this.....it does not mean that the troops have to come home ... it simply means the senate withdraws their support ...

manu1959
02-23-2007, 05:11 PM
It's going down the tubes with Bush running everything anyway.

tell me....how much violence is there in basra? mozul?.....where exactly is all the violence in iraq?

Hobbit
02-23-2007, 05:50 PM
tell me....how much violence is there in basra? mozul?.....where exactly is all the violence in iraq?

OH OH, I KNOW! I KNOW! 80% of it is within just a few miles of Baghdad. The rest of the country is relatively peaceful.

What Congress needs to figure out is that our Constitution gives us exactly ONE commander-in-chief, not 536. Too many cooks spoil the soup.