PDA

View Full Version : Barack Obama: Liar?

hjmick
02-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Probably no more than any other politician, but you never hear the press question him or his claims. You be the judge.

Not one media outlet of national import questioned Obama's claim that Illinois is the only state that requires P.E. for students:

"My home state of Illinois - I think, I'm pretty sure about this - is the only state in the country now that still requires phys ed [physical education] for local school districts. Most of the schools have abandoned it because they're under-funded, they're worried about testing."

The truth is quite different. More than half the states require physical education all the way through high school.

There are other examples of Barack playing fast and loose with the facts and not being called on them, and truthfully, in the big picture, I'm not sure it really matters. On the other hand, perhaps a lot of little examples add up to a larger problem.

Also ignored by the press, statements made two years into his term as senator from Illinois, statements in which he unequivocally stated that he would not run for the office of President or Vice President.

From Meet the Press, January 22, 2006:

MR. RUSSERT: There’s been enormous speculation about your political future, Senator. The man you succeeded in the Senate, Peter Fitzgerald, a Republican, said this recently. “I think there’s a very good chance that Senator Obama is on the Democratic ticket in 2008 as the vice presidential nominee.” Do you agree?

SEN. OBAMA: No. You know, I can’t speculate on those kinds of things. What I have said is that, you know, I’m not focused on running for higher office, I’m focused on doing the job that the people of Illinois just sent me to do.

MR. RUSSERT: But there seems to be an evolution in your thinking. This is what you told the Chicago Tribune last month: “Have you ruled out running for another office before your term is up?” Obama answer: “It’s not something I anticipate doing.” But when we talked back in November of ‘04 after your election I said, “There’s been enormous speculation about your political future. Will you serve your six-year term as United States senator from Illinois?” Obama: “Absolutely.”

SEN. OBAMA: I will serve out my full six-year term. You know, Tim, if you get asked enough, sooner or later you get weary and you start looking for new ways of saying things. But my thinking has not changed.

MR. RUSSERT: So you will not run for president or vice president in 2008?

SEN. OBAMA: I will not.

Complete transcript... (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10909406)

Huh...

Now, I recognize that things can change over the span of a year or more, but considering when the campaign started this cycle, I'd say he changed his mind months after this interview. And that's really okay, we're all allowed to have a change of heart. But what of his promise to his constituents? He can not do as much for them as President as he could as a Senator. Is it right that they elect Barack, buy into his promises to the community, his promise to serve the full six years, only to have him blow them off for higher office?

Can Barack Obama be trusted? Will he keep his word? Will any of them?

nevadamedic
02-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Probably no more than any other politician, but you never hear the press question him or his claims. You be the judge.

Not one media outlet of national import questioned Obama's claim that Illinois is the only state that requires P.E. for students:

The truth is quite different. More than half the states require physical education all the way through high school.

There are other examples of Barack playing fast and loose with the facts and not being called on them, and truthfully, in the big picture, I'm not sure it really matters. On the other hand, perhaps a lot of little examples add up to a larger problem.

Also ignored by the press, statements made two years into his term as senator from Illinois, statements in which he unequivocally stated that he would not run for the office of President or Vice President.

Huh...

Now, I recognize that things can change over the span of a year or more, but considering when the campaign started this cycle, I'd say he changed his mind months after this interview. And that's really okay, we're all allowed to have a change of heart. But what of his promise to his constituents? He can not do as much for them as President as he could as a Senator. Is it right that they elect Barack, buy into his promises to the community, his promise to serve the full six years, only to have him blow them off for higher office?

Nevada requires a few years of PE to graduate. Obama is a compulsive liar and I think the sad thing is that he is starting to believe his own lies.

gabosaurus
02-25-2008, 12:47 PM
:rolleyes:

Monkeybone
02-25-2008, 12:53 PM
:rolleyes:

no you're a liar Gabs!...oh...uh..sorry.

hjmick
02-25-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't know that I would call him a compulsive liar, but he does, at times, seem to play it fast and loose with facts and numbers. Then again, so do most politicians. Of greater concern to me, really, was his statement that he would serve his full term as Senator before considering a run for higher office. Say what you will about Hillary, but, as I recall, she was asked the same question early in her tenure as Senator and said that she would indeed serve the full term. Seems as if she has fulfilled that obligation. She kept her word.

Monkeybone
02-25-2008, 01:01 PM
i think that it is just politician stuff. and maybe a change of mind. or maybe even his wife told him that she would only ever be really proud of him if he became president.

just like with his support of the 2nd Amend and also complete support of city gun bans.

Hagbard Celine
02-25-2008, 01:37 PM
This is ridiculous because the press will run wild with anything other than an emphatic "no" answer to this question. The only sensible thing a politician can do is deny he or she is thinking of running until they atleast get an exploratory committee to see if they have a chance. I'm still ambivalent about all three presidential front runners. Obama, Clinton and McCain. They're all still playing the "float around the issues" game. It's all rhetoric and bs right now. I say "right now," but the truth is that it'll probably all be rhetoric and bs. :laugh:

DragonStryk72
02-25-2008, 03:04 PM

Huh...

The problem with that is that almost every single candidate who was running this time played the denial game before running (Exceptions are Biden, and Paul).

hjmick
02-25-2008, 03:12 PM
The problem with that is that almost every single candidate who was running this time played the denial game before running (Exceptions are Biden, and Paul).

Which is exactly why I provided the caveats of every politician playing the same games. ;)