PDA

View Full Version : The many flip-flops of John McCain

gabosaurus
02-25-2008, 12:56 PM
McCain has contradicted himself so many times over the last couple of years, it is not even funny. Someone sent me this a couple of days ago. It is from last year, after McCain did a couple of interviews with CNN that did not go well for him.

Yesterday, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) told CNN that that President Bush’s escalation in Iraq is going so well, “General Petraeus goes out there almost every day in an unarmed humvee.” On Monday, he told radio host Bill Bennett that there “are neighborhoods in Baghdad where you and I could walk through those neighborhoods, today.”

This morning, during an interview with McCain, CNN’s John Roberts rebutted McCain’s assertions, stating, “I checked with General Petraeus’s people overnight and they said he never goes out in anything less than an up-armored humvee.” He added that a new report by retired Gen. Barry McCaffrey “said no Iraqi government official, coalition soldier, diplomat reporter could walk the streets of Baghdad without heavily armed protection.”

Faced with overwhelming evidence that he was wrong, McCain denied he’d ever said it: “Well, I’m not saying they could go without protection. The President goes around America with protection. So, certainly I didn’t say that.” Watch it:

CNN’s Baghdad correspondent Michael Ware, who has lived in Iraq for four years, said military sources greeted McCain’s comments yesterday with “laughter down the line.”

CNN’S JOHN ROBERTS: I wanted to talk to you about the situation in Iraq. Yesterday in an interview with Wolf Blitzer on The Situation Room. I want to play this back for you. You had this to say about the situation there.

[McCAIN CLIP]: General Petraeus goes out there almost every day in an unarmed humvee. I think you oughta catch up. You are giving the old line of three months ago. I understand it. We certainly don’t get it through the filter of some of the media.

ROBERTS: Senator, did you mean to say that, that General Petraeus goes out every day in an unarmed humvee?

SEN. JOHN McCAIN (R-AZ): I mean that there are neighborhoods safe in Iraq and he does go out into Baghdad and the fact is there has been significant progress and people are stuck in a time warp of three months ago. Of course, it’s still dangerous. Of course it’s still very dangerous. We only have two of the five brigades there and we are already seeing significant progress.

ROBERTS: Because I checked with General Petraeus’s people overnight and they said he never goes out in anything less than an up-armored humvee. You also told Bill Bennett on his radio program on Monday. You said there are neighborhoods in Baghdad where you and I could walk through those neighborhood today yet retired General Barry McCaffrey said no Iraqi government official, coalition soldier, diplomat reporter could walk the streets of Baghdad without heavily armed protection. We’ve got two different stories here. Who’s right?
McCAIN: Well, I’m not saying they could go without protection. The President goes around America with protection. So, certainly I didn’t say that.

Trigg
02-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Well you won't see me defending him. Can't stand the guy.

hjmick
02-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Well you won't see me defending him. Can't stand the guy.

Hell, I don't see anyone defending him.

gabosaurus
02-25-2008, 02:42 PM
I didn't expect anyone to defend him. I just wanted to point out how slimy McCain is.

hjmick
02-25-2008, 02:45 PM
He's a politician. They are all slimy.

Trigg
02-25-2008, 02:47 PM
I didn't expect anyone to defend him. I just wanted to point out how slimy McCain is.

We keep trying to tell you he's really a dem, so of course he's slimy:poke:

:lol:

DragonStryk72
02-25-2008, 02:49 PM
He's a politician. They are all slimy.

Yeah, but he's bad at being slimy, it hasn't ever worked for him. At least most of the other politicians can LOOK sincere when talking crap.

Pale Rider
02-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Hell, I don't see anyone defending him.

You mean nm has finally given up on mclame, or just doesn't have enough gray matter to defend him?

hjmick
02-25-2008, 03:23 PM
You mean nm has finally given up on mclame, or just doesn't have enough gray matter to defend him?

I don't think he's yet seen this thread.

DrJohn
02-25-2008, 03:27 PM
We keep trying to tell you he's really a dem, so of course he's slimy:poke:

:lol:

It is strange how someone who is "really a dem" is going to be the GOP candidate for POTUS.

It looks like even the repubs have been sickened by the course of their party since 2000.

02-25-2008, 05:01 PM
It is strange how someone who is "really a dem" is going to be the GOP candidate for POTUS.

It looks like even the repubs have been sickened by the course of their party since 2000.

That's a rather silly conclusion. Looking at the vote it's clear that the only reason McCain is the nominee is the conservative vote was divided allowing McCain to pick up the liberal Republican vote.

Had the conservative vote not been divided, the tally indicates that we would have a much better nominee.