PDA

View Full Version : Pet sterilization becomes law in LA

stephanie
02-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Tue Feb 26, 5:52 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa on Tuesday signed one of the nation's toughest laws on pet sterilization, requiring most dogs and cats to be spayed or neutered by the time they are 4 months old.

The ordinance is aimed at reducing and eventually eliminating the thousands of euthanizations conducted in Los Angeles' animal shelters every year.

"We will, sooner rather than later, become a no-kill city and this is the greatest step in that direction," Councilman Tony Cardenas said as he held a kitten at a City Hall news conference.

The ordinance does exempt some animals, including those that have competed in shows or sporting competitions, guide dogs, animals used by police agencies and those belonging to professional breeders.

The average pet owner, however, must have their dog or cat spayed or neutered by the time it reaches 4 months of age (as late as 6 months with a letter from a veterinarian).

First-time offenders will receive information on subsidized sterilization services and be given an additional 60 days. If they still fail to comply they could be fined $100 and ordered to serve eight hours of community service. A subsequent offense could result in a $500 fine or 40 hours of community service.

Snip:
Bob Barker, the retired game-show host who famously ended every "Price is Right" show with a call for sterilizing pets, pushed for the law's adoption and was among those at Tuesday's news conference.
read the rest..
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080226/ap_on_re_us/pet_sterilization

Abbey Marie
02-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Good!

Yurt
02-26-2008, 11:40 PM
doesn't this create a "who can and cannot" sell puppies?

when we were young, we bred our pure bred lab to raise money after my dad left. it was not a business.

Mr. P
02-27-2008, 12:20 AM
doesn't this create a "who can and cannot" sell puppies?

when we were young, we bred our pure bred lab to raise money after my dad left. it was not a business.

Yep..good intentions...but a bit of infringement on private life/property..IMO

02-27-2008, 01:53 AM
well soon they won't have to kill anything because there wont be any pets left to kill.

Animals who can't reproduce dont exist much past a decade.

Lee~*
02-27-2008, 03:52 AM
Yep..good intentions...but a bit of infringement on private life/property..IMO

I agree with Mr.P, the reduction of stray, unwanted animals filling animal shelters, and eventually having to be euthanised would be ideal. But, to make it a law seems extremely intrusive on personal freedom of choice. And the end result will be that you will have to pay mega $$ to buy a dog/cat from a breeder. Some of the prices they are geting now for puppies are astounding, just think what it will be like when they have a virtual monopoly! Folks will be sneaking across the border to get a kitty or puppy ... amazing! Cross into Arizona or Nevada and Oregon, there will be roadside stands set up with big banners, get yer puppies here! There won't be any more pets to adopt at the local humane society ... imagine that! Could be a grat black market industry, take a truck load of barn kittens and sell them at the truck stop! What a whimsical idea! But then, where are we talking about?? Oh ya, California ... the great state of whimsy ... motherland of liberals ... with laws on the book against BBQ'ing, and smoking in your own home ... all for your protection of course! I wish'em rots a ruck! JMO>>>!! Lee~*

stephanie
02-27-2008, 05:41 AM
What I'm wondering is how are they going to enforce this?

Are they going to have a new department called the PET POLICE...
They will come a knocking on your door and ask you to get you pet please and spread it's legs.......:coffee:

I'm all for spaying and neutering, I've always done that with my pets...but I agree with some who say, it's just another intrusion into your life...

but??

jimnyc
02-27-2008, 07:44 AM
As a huge pet lover, I don't like this, but that's just me.

Maybe they can design a few laws to sterilize the illegals that pop out babies like a candy machine next?

A kajillion illegals running around is ok but say not to the puppies and kittens!

5stringJeff
02-28-2008, 08:09 AM
No thanks. Keep the government out of my life - and that includes whether or not I spay my pets.

Hagbard Celine
02-28-2008, 09:45 AM
well soon they won't have to kill anything because there wont be any pets left to kill.

Animals who can't reproduce dont exist much past a decade.

Even with sterilization laws in place, I'd wager that it would still be impossible to completely rid a city the size of L.A. of stray and feral dogs and cats. Plus I'm sure that breeder licenses are available in some shape or form.

Monkeybone
02-28-2008, 09:47 AM
speaking of Bob Barker, look up Robot Chicken with Bob Barker.

remie
02-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Even with sterilization laws in place, I'd wager that it would still be impossible to completely rid a city the size of L.A. of stray and feral dogs and cats. Plus I'm sure that breeder licenses are available in some shape or form.

And you better believe that the licenses wont be cheap. That will only add to the cost of puppies. While I agree that spaying pets is a good thing, I dont think the government should have any say in whether or not you choose to do so.

Monkeybone
02-28-2008, 11:08 AM
well hey! since eveyone will be packing heat, just make it so you shoot a dog without a collar.and here is a new show idea! Dog: The Dog Hunter.

Lee~*
02-28-2008, 12:16 PM
No thanks. Keep the government out of my life - and that includes whether or not I spay my pets. Amen to that Jeff! I second that emotion! Lee :coffee:

Lee~*
02-28-2008, 12:22 PM
As a huge pet lover, I don't like this, but that's just me.

Maybe they can design a few laws to sterilize the illegals that pop out babies like a candy machine next?

A kajillion illegals running around is ok but say not to the puppies and kittens!

Yep, leave it to L.A. to get rabid over an issue they need to keep their "jusrisdiction" out of, and totally ignore a major issue that needs to be addressed! Perhaps they should pass another law, its ok to be here illegally, as long as you can prove you've been spayed or neutered! :laugh2: Lee

Immanuel
02-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Has the rallying cry for this law been, "Today the dogs and cats... tomorrow the B{edited}es"? ;)

I don't like the governmental intrusions on this law either. I believe we should spay and nueter our pets, but I just don't believe the government should be forcing us to.

Immie

Abbey Marie
02-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Has the rallying cry for this law been, "Today the dogs and cats... tomorrow the B$tches"? ;)

I don't like the governmental intrusions on this law either. I believe we should spay and nueter our pets, but I just don't believe the government should be forcing us to.

Immie

So, while we all sit around preening over our liberties including the freedom to own, breed, and dispose of countless living creatures, what do you propose we do about all the suffering? Turn a blind eye?

Immanuel
02-28-2008, 12:37 PM
So, while we all sit around preening over our liberties including the freedom to own, breed, and dispose of countless living creatures, what do you propose we do about all the suffering? Turn a blind eye?

Darn! My edit was too slow. :)

I don't want a darned liberal politician telling me how I have to live my life. Today they are telling me that I have to spay and nueter my pets. Tomorrow they will be telling me that I have to spay my wife! We don't want woman having more than one child. The world is too over populated as it is. We'll model our laws after that grand country China!

Immie

Hagbard Celine
02-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Darn! My edit was too slow. :)

I don't want a darned liberal politician telling me how I have to live my life. Today they are telling me that I have to spay and nueter my pets. Tomorrow they will be telling me that I have to spay my wife! We don't want woman having more than one child. The world is too over populated as it is. We'll model our laws after that grand country China!

Immie

Would you rather it be a conservative one? This is how any politician would respond when confronted with the problem of stray pet over-population.

Immanuel
02-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Would you rather it be a conservative one? This is how any politician would respond when confronted with the problem of stray pet over-population.

Is there such a thing as a conservative politicians anymore especially in LA? :)

And in answer to your question... no, I don't want any politicians telling me how to live my life.

Immie

Abbey Marie
02-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Well, this Conservative can't walk through a kill-shelter, look at those hundreds of death row inmates who committed no crime, all the while smiling smugly at the lofty importance of my "property rights", and my freedom to let the suffering go on unabated.

Pale Rider
02-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Yep, leave it to L.A. to get rabid over an issue they need to keep their "jusrisdiction" out of, and totally ignore a major issue that needs to be addressed! Perhaps they should pass another law, its ok to be here illegally, as long as you can prove you've been spayed or neutered! :laugh2: Lee

Fuck that... since they euthanize stray dogs and cats, they ought to start euthanizing stray illegals.

(Just kidding for those of you who are going to have a fit.)

Immanuel
02-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Well, this Conservative can't walk through a kill-shelter, look at those hundreds of death row inmates who committed no crime, all the while smiling smugly at the lofty importance of my "property rights", and my freedom to let the suffering go on unabated.

Actually, I have never been to one. I know and realize that they exist, but I have never been to the "pound" with the idea that these animals are condemned to die. I'd rather not think of it that way. They are simply waiting for the next kid to walk through that door and meet them eye to eye and then are homeward bound.

But, I can't go to a nursing home. I get shivers down my back every time I drive by one. :laugh2:

As for being a conservative, you're not a politician... are you?

Immie

Abbey Marie
02-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Actually, I have never been to one. I know and realize that they exist, but I have never been to the "pound" with the idea that these animals are condemned to die. I'd rather not think of it that way. They are simply waiting for the next kid to walk through that door and meet them eye to eye and then are homeward bound.

But, I can't go to a nursing home. I get shivers down my back every time I drive by one. :laugh2:

As for being a conservative, you're not a politician... are you?

Immie

It's heart breaking, and I believe statistically, many more are killed than adopted. Litters of kittens are routinely killed upon arrival.

I'm an officer in our band boosters club. Does that count? :)

Immanuel
02-28-2008, 02:44 PM
It's heart breaking, and I believe statistically, many more are killed than adopted. Litters of kittens are routinely killed upon arrival.

I'm an officer in our band boosters club. Does that count? :)

No, it does not count and I can't for the life of me figure out why you would want to be counted among that band of Pharisees either. ;)

Immie