PDA

View Full Version : The Safest Garage In Town... too cool...

Pale Rider
02-27-2008, 01:11 PM
http://www.foursprung.com/2007/11/safety-safest-garage-in-town.html

Mr. P
02-27-2008, 02:01 PM
too cool alright...I'll bet that bugger costs more than the two cars in the video put together. What if there's a power failure? One car stuck 10' below ground level. Maybe there's a manual emergency crank?

Pale Rider
02-27-2008, 02:17 PM
too cool alright...I'll bet that bugger costs more than the two cars in the video put together. What if there's a power failure? One car stuck 10' below ground level. Maybe there's a manual emergency crank?

I have no idea how much they cost. Looks like they're sceeerd to give out a price... http://www.aclifts.com/parking/pss-7.asp But if you had the cash to buy two high end sports cars, I don't imagine you'd really care how much it cost.

However I'd guess around $10K.

And it looks like you're screwed if the power goes out, unless you have a generator.

Still a really cool deal.

Mr. P
02-27-2008, 02:37 PM
I have no idea how much they cost. Looks like they're sceeerd to give out a price... http://www.aclifts.com/parking/pss-7.asp But if you had the cash to buy two high end sports cars, I don't imagine you'd really care how much it cost.

And it looks like you're screwed if the power goes out, unless you have a generator.

10k? I was thinking more like 100k, maybe more. But yeah, it's for folks that have more $$$ than they know what to do with.

Pale Rider
02-27-2008, 04:24 PM
10k? I was thinking more like 100k, maybe more. But yeah, it's for folks that have more $$$ than they know what to do with.

I don't know if I'd go that high. You can get a regular parking lift for about $3K. So if that scissor lift was $5K, even $10, and maybe $5K to install, still, I'd say $15K on the high end.

The only way I can see someone needing it though is for people like the home in the video. They have no where to expand a garage to except down. They're kind of stuck with having to install something like that. Myself, I wouldn't live on less than a couple of acres of land, I'd never need it.

Immanuel
02-27-2008, 04:41 PM

Remember the old addage... "If you have to ask 'how much', you can't afford it."

It wouldn't work at my house. I'm sure the water table is too high for that.

Immie

Pale Rider
02-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Remember the old addage... "If you have to ask 'how much', you can't afford it."

It wouldn't work at my house. I'm sure the water table is too high for that.

Immie

Yup... that would be the other draw back. Not really something I'd want in a flood plain. Here in Reno, Nevada though, as close together as they build the houses here, it would be perfect.

Dilloduck
02-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Yup... that would be the other draw back. Not really something I'd want in a flood plain. Here in Reno, Nevada though, as close together as they build the houses here, it would be perfect.

They got any bedrooms that do that---up to a second story or something ?

glockmail
02-27-2008, 07:47 PM
I don't know if I'd go that high. You can get a regular parking lift for about $3K. So if that scissor lift was $5K, even $10, and maybe $5K to install, still, I'd say $15K on the high end.

The only way I can see someone needing it though is for people like the home in the video. They have no where to expand a garage to except down. They're kind of stuck with having to install something like that. Myself, I wouldn't live on less than a couple of acres of land, I'd never need it.
You might be able to get the lift for 15K, but the excavation costs would be high, and you should figure about $100 per foot of basement wall. Add in electrical, plumbing (you'll need a sump pump) and you've got a huge chuck of change. If you want to retrofit an existing garage add 50% or so to the price.

Pale Rider
02-28-2008, 03:17 AM
You might be able to get the lift for 15K, but the excavation costs would be high, and you should figure about $100 per foot of basement wall. Add in electrical, plumbing (you'll need a sump pump) and you've got a huge chuck of change. If you want to retrofit an existing garage add 50% or so to the price.

Maybe I'll call them out of curiousity and see who's closer. But I'll tell ya what, if that thing costs more than $30K, I could build it myself for less than that. Shit, you can build a whole BIG garage, finish it off inside and out with full electrical, running water, sewer and heat for $30K. (Of course I'm estimating those numbers considering I'd do the construction, electrical, and heat myself. The only thing I'd subcontract out would be the water and sewer.)

This thing just may turn out to be one of those things that costs far more than it's worth.

Pale Rider
02-28-2008, 03:25 AM
They got any bedrooms that do that---up to a second story or something ?

Don't think so bro. Maybe you could pitch the idea to them... :D

glockmail
02-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Maybe I'll call them out of curiousity and see who's closer. But I'll tell ya what, if that thing costs more than $30K, I could build it myself for less than that. Shit, you can build a whole BIG garage, finish it off inside and out with full electrical, running water, sewer and heat for $30K. (Of course I'm estimating those numbers considering I'd do the construction, electrical, and heat myself. The only thing I'd subcontract out would be the water and sewer.)

This thing just may turn out to be one of those things that costs far more than it's worth. You can build a 3 car garage for not much more than a two. The only reason to use a lift would be because you did not have the area on your lot.

Pale Rider
02-28-2008, 11:04 AM
You can build a 3 car garage for not much more than a two. The only reason to use a lift would be because you did not have the area on your lot.

And I just read an interesting article in this real estate module I have on my yahoo home page that said the trend seems to be that more and more people are leaving their suburban and country homes for a more urban one, creating an abundance of country setting homes. Seems people want to be closer to a store, gas station, post office, etc.. Good for me I guess, because the homes I've been looking at buying back in Wisconsin all have two or more acres of land. But I can see where these lift garages could catch on, judging by most homes here in Reno. They're built like eight feet apart. They have a tiny little front yard, if that's what you want to call it, and then a back yard hardly big enough to play Crockett in. I wouldn't own a home like that if was given to me. I'd sell it and move to somewhere where I had some elbow room.