Franklin Delano Roosevelt

what is the big deal.....

are you serious?

MtnBiker
02-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Barack Hussein Obama, is that his name?

Yurt
02-27-2008, 09:55 PM
its like the picture, why are they upset if there is nothing wrong with what he did in the pic and nothing wrong with his name?

manu1959
02-27-2008, 09:58 PM
are you serious?

ya is there a problem with his middle name?.......

this guy lead his country to great things....

http://www.atlastours.net/kinghussein/

retiredman
02-27-2008, 10:05 PM
you do not see the problem with having a middle name that is the same name as a dictator we went to war to overthrow?

What if John McCain's middle name were "Hitler" and it was an old family name....do you think that he would be comfortable with democrats constantly referring to him as John HITLER McCain?

Do you not see how that might conjure up negative associations for many Americans?

Methinks you all are being a bit intentionally obtuse, eh?

02-27-2008, 10:08 PM
It's rather sad when you have to hide your own name for political purposes...

Yurt
02-27-2008, 10:10 PM
It's rather sad when you have to hide your own name for political purposes...

:lol:

stephanie
02-27-2008, 10:11 PM
How pathetic for people to now whine about using OBambams middle name..

If he was so ashamed of it, he should of legally had it changed...

Maybe somethinkg like...... Barack Bubba Obambam.......:cheers2:

manu1959
02-27-2008, 10:11 PM
you do not see the problem with having a middle name that is the same name as a dictator we went to war to overthrow?

What if John McCain's middle name were "Hitler" and it was an old family name....do you think that he would be comfortable with democrats constantly referring to him as John HITLER McCain?

Do you not see how that might conjure up negative associations for many Americans?

Methinks you all are being a bit intentionally obtuse, eh?

people already refer to mccain as hitler.....and bush....ronney raygun

why should it bother anyone what obama is called....obama seems ok with his name....

MtnBiker
02-27-2008, 10:13 PM

What if? Meaningless, that is not McCain's middle name.

retiredman
02-27-2008, 10:20 PM

not meaningless... an analogy meant to illustrate the dilemma.

Through no fault of his own, he was named after his father, who had a middle name - Hussein - that has been revered by muslims for centuries. Unfortunately, in the last few decades, that name has come to be most closely associated with the former dictator of Iraq. Clearly, by using that name, negative, nearly subliminal associations are inevitably made, which really is not all that ethical.

How's that?

No1tovote4
02-27-2008, 10:21 PM

No, it is Sidney.

Yurt
02-27-2008, 10:25 PM

Through no fault of his own, he was named after his father, who had a middle name - Hussein - that has been revered by muslims for centuries. Unfortunately, in the last few decades, that name has come to be most closely associated with the former dictator of Iraq. Clearly, by using that name, negative, nearly subliminal associations are inevitably made, which really is not all that ethical.

How's that?

http://content7.flixster.com/question/36/66/91/3666913_std.jpg

MtnBiker
02-27-2008, 10:25 PM

How's that?

Playing a "what if" game is meaningless. You want to try to project an unfortunate situation on to McCain, that is not the case. Hussien is Barrack's name, rather than cower away from his name he should show some pride in his heritage.

No1tovote4
02-27-2008, 10:26 PM

How's that?

And how often have we heard the middle names of other people running for President without all the fanfare and false outrage?

MtnBiker
No, it is Sidney.

:D good one!

retiredman
http://content7.flixster.com/question/36/66/91/3666913_std.jpg

family photo night?

retiredman
02-27-2008, 10:27 PM
And how often have we heard the middle names of other people running for President without all the fanfare and false outrage?

and how often have the middle names of people running for president also been the names of hated dictators?

MtnBiker
02-27-2008, 10:28 PM

JFK - John F Kerry, hmmm.

No1tovote4
02-27-2008, 10:32 PM
and how often have the middle names of people running for president also been the names of hated dictators?

You mean the last name of those dictators? It depends again. Do we translate the names or must they be exact?

We have had many Presidents with their first names the exact "hated" name of a sole ruler that we fought one of our nastiest and most bitter wars with, one which we almost lost. I wonder if they were ashamed of their name as much as Barack appears to be of his.

Amazingly one of them (the Presidents) was the General that won a battle that almost seemed to have divine providence written all over it and that turned the final ending in our favor.

No1tovote4
02-27-2008, 10:35 PM
JFK - John F Kerry, hmmm.

John Forbes Kerry, amazingly, without all the fanfare and false outrage the name simply wasn't that big of a deal. In fact, it soon dropped out of the news.

retiredman
02-27-2008, 10:37 PM
You mean the last name of those dictators? It depends again. Do we translate the names or must they be exact?

We have had many Presidents with their first names the exact "hated" name of a sole ruler that we fought one of our nastiest and most bitter wars with one which we almost lost. I wonder if they were ashamed of their name as much as Barack appears to be of his.

Amazingly one of them (the Presidents) was the General that won a battle that almost seemed to have divine providence written all over it and that turned the final ending in our favor.

I have never seen any indication that Obama is ashamed of his name.

But DO keep playing the intentionally obtuse game... :poke:

hjmick
02-27-2008, 10:37 PM

How's that?

I'm afraid that you will just have to get used to it as the political follies have just begun in earnest. Make no mistake, though it is no fault of his own, it is his name and will made fodder for the political cannons being rolled to the bulworks of this ship we call the Presidential election. Personally, I'm surprised it took this long.

No1tovote4
02-27-2008, 10:40 PM

Ah, so all the false outrage is yours because you think he should be ashamed of his name?

I just can't get why it should matter.

Have you figured out the name yet that matches that horrible enemy that nearly defeated us?

retiredman
02-27-2008, 10:46 PM
Ah, so all the false outrage is yours because you think he should be ashamed of his name?

I just can't get why it should matter.

Have you figured out the name yet that matches that horrible enemy that nearly defeated us?

I do not think he should be ashamed of his name. I think people who use it for the express purpose of conjuring up negative associations with Saddam Hussein are the ones who should be ashamed.

George, of course.

JohnDoe
02-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Why don't people use John Sidney McCain's full name when they refer to him? Today was the first time I ever heard his middle name?

No1tovote4
02-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Why don't people use John Sidney McCain's full name when they refer to him? Today was the first time I ever heard his middle name?

Some do. Often on other sites you will read it solely in answer to those who would use Hussein O. to refer to Barack.

No1tovote4
02-27-2008, 10:49 PM
I do not think he should be ashamed of his name. I think people who use it for the express purpose of conjuring up negative associations with Saddam Hussein are the ones who should be ashamed.

George, of course.

I think it is a weak attempt to silence people so that they don't say the name. It really is his name, there is nothing evil about using it.

At least he doesn't run around calling himself "Barry" like he did in High School.

No1tovote4
02-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Presidents and Serial Killers are very often referred to using full names. For some reason those two groups more often than any other.

JohnDoe
02-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Some do. Often on other sites you will read it solely in answer to those who would use Hussein O. to refer to Barack.

hey no 1! :)
Today, was the FIRST TIME i ever heard it mentioned, on cnn, when a newscaster asked another newsman if he new it?

jd

No1tovote4
02-27-2008, 10:55 PM
hey no 1! :)
Today, was the FIRST TIME i ever heard it mentioned, on cnn, when a newscaster asked another newsman if he new it?

jd

Well, I certainly knew it. I used it earlier today on this board. But, as I said, where it is usually used it is almost always in answer to somebody using Barack's middle name.

Did you know that Truman's middle name was actually just the letter "S"? He actually added the period to his signature at the time he was elected President thinking it may appear odd to people if it didn't look like an initial.

JohnDoe
02-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Well, I certainly knew it. I used it earlier today on this board. But, as I said, where it is usually used it is almost always in answer to somebody using Barack's middle name.

Did you know that Truman's middle name was actually just the letter "S"? He actually added the period to his signature at the time he was elected President thinking it may appear odd to people if it didn't look like an initial.
no i did not! but how can that be, just giving a letter as a middle name? kinda funny really! lol

jd

Dilloduck
02-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Amazing---people who have casually referred to Bush as "Hitler" now take offense at the mention of their candidates real middle name ?? Better get some thicker skin. As Hjmick said--you ain't seen nothing yet. :laugh2:

MtnBiker
02-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Well, without Hussien, Barrack's initials would be B.O., that would stink.

Dilloduck
02-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Well, without Hussien, Barrack's initials would be B.O., that would stink.

LOL can't wait for the B-H-O chanting :laugh2:

No1tovote4
02-27-2008, 11:01 PM
no i did not! but how can that be, just giving a letter as a middle name? kinda funny really! lol

jd

My first name is just a letter. It is rare, and often annoying. I therefore go by my middle name.

retiredman
02-27-2008, 11:07 PM
alas...I don't even have a middle name....just a numeral at the end ;)

JohnDoe
02-27-2008, 11:08 PM
if Barrak's middle name were not said like it was a cheerleader to be trying out for the squad shouting it.... there would be nothing wrong with it imo....

but as i said it is always said in this manner...

Barak HUSSEIN Obama which is clearly meant to associate Barak with the likes of Saddam Hussein...

I am ok with that too, for those that want to show emphasis like they do, to me it just show ignorance though.... :(

jd

Dilloduck
02-27-2008, 11:10 PM
if Barrak's middle name were not said like it was a cheerleader to be trying out for the squad saying it.... there would be nothing wrong with it imo....

Barak HUSSEIN Obama which is clearly meant to associate Barak with the likes of Saddam Hussein...

I am ok with that too, for those that want to show emphasis like they do, to me it just show ignorance though.... :(

jd

and calling Bush "Hitler" is subtle ???? No association implied ?? :laugh2:

hjmick
02-27-2008, 11:11 PM
alas...I don't even have a middle name....just a numeral at the end ;)

Hell, I've got a middle name and a number. Quite a burden.

manu1959
02-27-2008, 11:16 PM

so he is proud of his name but you don't want us to use it.....i am confused

Dilloduck
02-27-2008, 11:19 PM
so he is proud of his name but you don't want us to use it.....i am confused

Black people with controversial middle names should not be made fun of. Sorta like they can say nigger but white people can't.

manu1959
02-27-2008, 11:20 PM

George, of course.

are people not allowed to conjur up negative images of BHO .....

should people that call bush hitler be ashamed as well....what about darth cheney.....ronnie ray gun......

hjmick
02-27-2008, 11:21 PM
Black people with controversial middle names should not be made fun of. Sorta like they can say nigger but white people can't.

vcZ9ku_wInw

manu1959
02-27-2008, 11:25 PM
if Barrak's middle name were not said like it was a cheerleader to be trying out for the squad shouting it.... there would be nothing wrong with it imo....

jd

so they say is middle name to make fun of him....like when people call our current president shrub or hitler or chimpy.....like that.....is free speech and taking the piss not allowed now....can you not use a persons real name now if it reminds others of something negative.....

No1tovote4
02-28-2008, 12:03 AM
so they say is middle name to make fun of him....like when people call our current president shrub or hitler or chimpy.....like that.....is free speech and taking the piss not allowed now....can you not use a persons real name now if it reminds others of something negative.....

Well, you see. Bush is "bad" therefore reminding you he is "bad" is good... I think.

At least that is how they attempt to explain away the hypocrisy seeping out of the very pores of such a spin...

manu1959
02-28-2008, 12:07 AM
Well, you see. Bush is "bad" therefore reminding you he is "bad" is good... I think.

At least that is how they attempt to explain away the hypocrisy seeping out of the very pores of such a spin...

yes ... that is what i was told over cocktails this evening by the elitist left ....

Dilloduck
02-28-2008, 12:15 AM
yes ... that is what i was told over cocktails this evening by the elitist left ....

ahhhhhh--I get it--Obama is good so we shouldn't use a name that associates him with someone bad.

I guess thats makes one wrong, mean and racist. :laugh2:

manu1959
02-28-2008, 12:20 AM
ahhhhhh--I get it--Obama is good so we shouldn't use a name that associates him with someone bad.

I guess thats makes one wrong, mean and racist. :laugh2:

cocktail parties in the sf bay area like mini re-education camps......

JohnDoe
02-28-2008, 12:30 AM
What is good for the goose is good for the gander! I never said they could not do what they are doing, just as i suppose you have never stopped a democrat from using their choice words relabling GWB, right?

I am just calling out what it is....which is a partisan rhetoric with intentions to mock Obama, just as calling President Bush "Chimp" is doing and there is going to be that kind of childish rhetoric imo, on both sides of the aisle and I am not about to try to stop it or even say it should be stopped!

But that certainly does not mean that I can't have an opinion on the name emphasis that is being spouted, just as you and others can and do... say things about people that call President Bush "Chimp" or whatever like calling out that they are just Bush haters, or Bush Bashers....no matter what, and stuff like that said to them!

jd

manu1959
02-28-2008, 12:36 AM
What is good for the goose is good for the gander! I never said they could not do what they are doing, just as i suppose you have never stopped a democrat from using their choice words relabling GWB, right?

I am just calling out what it is....which is a partisan rhetoric with intentions to mock Obama, just as calling President Bush "Chimp" is doing and there is going to be that kind of childish rhetoric imo, on both sides of the aisle and I am not about to try to stop it or even say it should be stopped!

But that certainly does not mean that I can't have an opinion on the name emphasis that is being spouted, just as you and others can and do... say things about people that call President Bush "Chimp" or whatever like calling out that they are just Bush haters, or Bush Bashers....no matter what, and stuff like that said to them!

jd

nope ... i don't care what you call bush .... they are just words .... it is just a name .... i mean he isn't a dictator or a muslim .....

he is an african american christian ..... that believes in universal healthcare, higher taxes, more social programs, and disarmament and apeasement.....interesting he wants to send more troops to afganistan though.....

Dilloduck
02-28-2008, 12:38 AM

jd

fascinating----what once was "free speech" and " the "right and duty to dissent" is now termed childish rhetoric. The worm slowly turns ---

manu1959
02-28-2008, 12:39 AM
fascinating----what once was "free speech" and " the "right and duty to dissent" is now termed childish rhetoric. The worm slowly turns ---

a wise man once told me........

"ahhhhhh--I get it--Obama is good so we shouldn't use a name that associates him with someone bad.

I guess thats makes one wrong, mean and racist. "

theHawk
02-28-2008, 12:44 AM
His name is important because it signifies he is the son of a very proud Muslim.

Do we really want a President who is the son of an African Muslim? What if we are attacked by African muslims, is this guy going to retaliate or will he hesitate?

Abbey Marie
02-28-2008, 01:03 AM

jd

And you can honestly sit there and spout that calling a man by his given middle name is equivalent to calling a man 'chimp' or 'Nazi'? Not in the real world.

JohnDoe
02-28-2008, 01:15 AM
And you can honestly sit there and spout that calling a man by his given middle name is equivalent to calling a man 'chimp' or 'Nazi'? Not in the real world.
Yes, of course it is! There is no reason what so ever to even mention Obama's middle name...let alone put emphasis on it when they are saying it other than to imply something negative....like to imply that he is as bad and as wicked as Saddam Hussein or to imply he is a radical muslim....

Surely you can see this as being the "same"....it is mocking in both cases imo?

jd

nevadamedic
02-28-2008, 01:17 AM
Yes, of course it is! There is no reason what so ever to even mention Obama's middle name...let alone put emphasis on it when they are saying it other than to imply something negative....like to imply that he is as bad and as wicked as Saddam Hussein or to imply he is a radical muslim....

Surely you can see this as being the "same"....it is mocking in both cases imo?

jd

This man "and I use that term loosly" is as evil and as wicked as Saddam Hussein and needs to be stopped by any means necessary. Under no circumstances should we start disarming our nuclear arsenol or cave in to that Communist Shithole Russia.

JohnDoe
02-28-2008, 01:20 AM
This man "and I use that term loosly" is as evil and as wicked as Saddam Hussein and needs to be stopped by any means necessary. Under no circumstances should we start disarming our nuclear arsenol or cave in to that Communist Shithole Russia.

I am not even an Obama supporter Nevada, but you sound a tad paranoid!!!! hahahahahahaha!

jd

nevadamedic
02-28-2008, 01:22 AM
I am not even an Obama supporter Nevada, but you sound a tad paranoid!!!! hahahahahahaha!

jd

Your fucking right I am. The moment we disarm we will be fucked. You will see our enemies coming at us left and right.

JohnDoe
02-28-2008, 01:27 AM
Your fucking right I am. The moment we disarm we will be fucked. You will see our enemies coming at us left and right.Nothing like that can be done without Congress, and they got too many tit for tats to pay back to their military industrial complex campaign donors, even if Dems went along the Senate republicans would filibuster it...

NOT a problem.

jd

nevadamedic
02-28-2008, 01:35 AM
Nothing like that can be done without Congress, and they got too many tit for tats to pay back to their military industrial complex campaign donors, even if Dems went along the Senate republicans would filibuster it...

NOT a problem.

jd

Yes it is a problem, especially with having someone who thinks like that running for office. He needs to be clipped.

Yurt
02-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Yes it is a problem, especially with having someone who thinks like that running for office. He needs to be clipped.

by clipped you mean killed...right