PDA

View Full Version : Are mass shoootings increasing? Or only the reporting of them?

Little-Acorn
02-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Northern Illinois U, yesterday's apartment shootings in Tennessee, today someone shot six people (five of them reportedly "children") in Los Angeles, the list has seemed endless in the last few weeks.

This always seems to happen during election years. Are the shooters all disgruntled political activists? Somehow I doubt it. Or is this how many mass shootings we normally have, and the media just ferrets out all they can find during election years but ignore most of them (except the most horrific Virginia-Tech types) during non-election times?

Another theory is that, during election years, the airwaves are full of politicians of various stripes, telling us how much we "deserve" to get "free" stuff from the government. And simultaneously charging that greedy, heartless [millionaires, lawyers, oil companies, Republicans, corporations, banks, insert standard-use villain here] are deliberately withholding what is ours "by right". But during non-election times, there isn't nearly that much of that poppycock flying around. So whining, chronically offended loners and misfits get a lot more worked up during election times, no matter what their party, and a few grab a gun and start shooting. Or so the theory goes. Kind of thin if you ask me.

So why do we seem to hear so much more about mass shootings during election cycles, than at other times?

Lee~*
02-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi LA

About the reporting of the shootings, I doubt that the blood thirsty, sensation seeking media would fail to publish each and every instance of an occurance. So, you may have something there with the speculation of the political air having something to do with it. All the hype during campaigns may add to the mental stress load of already unstable persons. Kind of like more suicides happening around the holidays, mental stress overload. Good point! :clap: Lee :coffee:

Hagbard Celine
02-28-2008, 12:46 PM
I'd say they're increasing. Since Columbine it's turned into a kind of "right of passage" for depressed suicidal psycho loners.

02-28-2008, 01:44 PM
i think they are increasing. we are seeing our society degenerate.

Hagbard Celine
02-28-2008, 01:50 PM
i think they are increasing. we are seeing our society degenerate.

I wouldn't be so melodramatic. Our society isn't degenerating. I think quite the opposite is occuring actually. We've reached a point where the majority of us don't want for any of the basic things on the hierarchy of needs so we've bogged down into squabbling about the intricacies of how our society will function. Right now it's gay marriage and abortion and whether or not we should engage in nation-building. A century from now when those issues are settled it'll be something equally mundane. I think school shootings are just an unfortunate fad that'll fade with time.

The Reverend
02-28-2008, 01:51 PM
I think it is actually both. There are more and there is also more coverage of them.

02-28-2008, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't be so melodramatic. Our society isn't degenerating. I think quite the opposite is occuring actually. We've reached a point where the majority of us don't want for any of the basic things on the hierarchy of needs so we've bogged down into squabbling about the intricacies of how our society will function. Right now it's gay marriage and abortion and whether or not we should engage in nation-building. A century from now when those issues are settled it'll be something equally mundane. I think school shootings are just an unfortunate fad that'll fade with time.

i'm not being melodramatic. You've just cited more evidence for it. The break down of the family is the reason why our society is degenerating. as it continues to break down you will see more shootings.

trobinett
02-28-2008, 02:13 PM
I think it is actually both. There are more and there is also more coverage of them.

And, though I agree with your assessment, I also think, per capita, that society in general, hasn't changed all that much.

I'd say we have about the same number of wing nuts that we've always had, give or take.

hjmick
02-28-2008, 02:22 PM
There is some evidence to indicate that mass shootings have been on the rise since Charles Whitman took to the top of the UT Austin clock tower and killed 14 and wounded 31 in 1966. Seven of the eight deadliest mass public shootings have occurred in the past 25 years.

An extensive statistical study of mass murder during the 20th century was done by a guy named Grant Duwe. He is a criminologist with the Minnesota State Department of Corrections. The study, according to him, revealed that the availability of guns was not a factor in mass murder during the 20th century.

He found that the prevalence of mass murders (defined as the killing of four or more people in a 24-hour period) tends to mirror that of homicide in general. The increase in mass killings during the 1960s was paralleled by a doubling in the overall murder rate after the relatively peaceful 1940s and '50s.

On the other hand, according to the study, they found that mass murder was just as common during the 1920s and early 1930s as it is today. The difference is that back then, mass murderers tended to be failed farmers who killed their families because they could no longer provide for them, then they killed themselves. The reasons for shootings today are as varied as the shooters themselves. Some blame society, some blame their economic standing, some are just plain crazy. There is no one answer for why people do commit mass murder.

theHawk
02-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Sounds to me like the rate of homicide/mass murders coincides with prevailing liberalism in our country. The more whacko liberals there are, the more shootings there will be.

Like Avatar said, our society is degenerating. The sole reason for that is the prevailing of liberalism.

Hagbard Celine
02-28-2008, 02:55 PM
i'm not being melodramatic. You've just cited more evidence for it. The break down of the family is the reason why our society is degenerating. as it continues to break down you will see more shootings.

Give me a break. The nuclear family is an artificial idea made-up during the 1950's in order to neatly package and define the ideal American life so that it would be more easy to spot those nasty Commies. In reality the family you get is a random hand you're dealt when you're born. A person's family can be a Grandma, an Uncle, an Aunt, a Brother or even a Friend. Just because exploding populations have given us a greater abundance of single parents and gays who want to adopt doesn't give you reason or license to go around chanting that the "end is near." Family is what you make of it, it's not some neatly packaged ideal that people have to live up to or be ashamed of if they don't have.
The reason we're seeing more shootings is because depressed loners were finally given an easy way to broadcast their self-pity and go out with a bang when Eric Klebold and the other kid shot up Columbine. They're a bunch of unoriginal sociopathic copy cats--all of which as far as I know had married parents and the "ideal" nuclear family. Which goes to show it has nothing to do with "the breakdown of the family" and everything to do with self-involved loserism.

theHawk
02-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Give me a break. The nuclear family is an artificial idea made-up during the 1950's in order to neatly package and define the ideal American life so that it would be more easy to spot those nasty Commies. In reality the family you get is a random hand you're dealt when you're born. A person's family can be a Grandma, an Uncle, an Aunt, a Brother or even a Friend. Just because exploding populations have given us a greater abundance of single parents and gays who want to adopt doesn't give you reason or license to go around chanting that the "end is near." Family is what you make of it, it's not some neatly packaged ideal that people have to live up to or be ashamed of if they don't have.
The reason we're seeing more shootings is because depressed loners were finally given an easy way to broadcast their self-pity and go out with a bang when Eric Klebold and the other kid shot up Columbine. They're a bunch of unoriginal sociopathic copy cats--all of which as far as I know had married parents and the "ideal" nuclear family. Which goes to show it has nothing to do with "the breakdown of the family" and everything to do with self-involved loserism.

You said it started with the Columbine losers. Those two losers were self-identified evolutionist extremists. Raised with a complete lack of respect for life. Should we be suprised some kids turn out like this? We live in a society that doesn't even have respect for an unborn child. If kids don't have parents(one or two doesnt matter) to teach them these morals then they get their lessons from the liberal media. And its there that liberals preach that its a woman's right to mutilate and kill their unborn child. So naturally society is going to have these "problem children" spring up.

mundame
02-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Another theory is that, during election years, the airwaves are full of politicians of various stripes, telling us how much we "deserve" to get "free" stuff from the government. And simultaneously charging that greedy, heartless [millionaires, lawyers, oil companies, Republicans, corporations, banks, insert standard-use villain here] are deliberately withholding what is ours "by right". But during non-election times, there isn't nearly that much of that poppycock flying around. So whining, chronically offended loners and misfits get a lot more worked up during election times, no matter what their party, and a few grab a gun and start shooting. Or so the theory goes. Kind of thin if you ask me.

So why do we seem to hear so much more about mass shootings during election cycles, than at other times?

I think you'd need the numbers to back up the claim that there are more multiple shootings during presidential years than other years.

I doubt there are. This is a presidential election year, we remember the recent better than the distant, that may be all there is to your thinking there have been more such shootings.

OR ----- maybe it's the nationalization of local news. Lurid local crimes crowd every news site and evening cable news. I think they count the most-clicked news items and do more of those to gain readers, and thus there are more and more lurid news items on national sites that used to be purely local news.

mundame
02-28-2008, 04:12 PM
We've reached a point where the majority of us don't want for any of the basic things on the hierarchy of needs so we've bogged down into squabbling about the intricacies of how our society will function.

I like your analysis.

02-28-2008, 04:21 PM

The family has existed since the beginning of time. and when it's been abandon we see generations of violent sociopaths grow up.

When parents raise children badly, or even worse when they aren't there to raise children, the values vitol to civilization is lost. if you don't think the breakdown of the family a major factor in the degeneration of our civilization it's because you lack the ability to actually look at things as they really are. That means you fail to look at long term effects. You can't see the forest amongst the trees.

Hagbard Celine
02-28-2008, 04:29 PM
The family has existed since the beginning of time. and when it's been abandon we see generations of violent sociopaths grow up.

When parents raise children badly, or even worse when they aren't there to raise children, the values vitol to civilization is lost. if you don't think the breakdown of the family a major factor in the degeneration of our civilization it's because you lack the ability to actually look at things as they really are. That means you fail to look at long term effects. You can't see the forest amongst the trees.

I think you want the US to degenerate so that you can say "I told you so" to all of us God-less baby-eating libs. Either that or you're just hopelessly pessimistic. :D

actsnoblemartin
02-28-2008, 04:37 PM
I think its increasing, in april 99 was one of the worst

diuretic
02-28-2008, 06:05 PM

Which "family" has existed since the beginning of time? By that I mean, what family structure(s) are you referencing?

On bad parenting - yes, it's probably at the root of most individual behavioural development problems (apart from where an individual suffers some sort of organic mental disease I mean).

diuretic
02-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Back on topic.

Mass murder isn't a particularly US phenomenon, it's happened across human history and in many societies. I don't believe the media has ever stopped itself from reporting mass murder incidents. Anyway, the US has 300 million people, that means you're going to have on average a fair few number of fruitcakes. Some of those fruitcakes are going to go postal when the strain becomes too much. Put this together with the high availability of firearms in the US and it's no wonder that you're going to get mass murders/shootings etc.

Kathianne
02-28-2008, 06:39 PM
I think they come in 'rashes' because of copy cats. The Columbine shooters became mythic to those bordering on that type of behavior.

Today our local news reported that ISU, (Illinois State University), an investigation has begun regarding some graffiti found in a restroom. Some do it for attention, others will actually try. I know of no way to keep these out of the news.

gabosaurus
02-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Mass shootings increase because guns are more available and people are more stressed out. Why argue or reason with someone when you can shoot them?

Kathianne
02-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Mass shootings increase because guns are more available and people are more stressed out. Why argue or reason with someone when you can shoot them?

Mass shooters are not trying to argue or reason to begin with. Just to kill, usually as an exclamation on their own suicide.

The Reverend
02-28-2008, 07:03 PM

Guns are available per the second amendment. Notice how most happen in gun free zones. Where the honest people can't protect themselves.

Little-Acorn
02-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Mass shootings increase because guns are more available and people are more stressed out.
In the 1930s, guns were far more available than they are now. Anybody, of any age, could buy them from hardware stores or the Sears catalog, with no waiting period, background checks, etc.

And during that period (the Great Depression, unemployment as high as 25%, farms failing, businesses failing, foreclosure and repo rates orders of magnitude higher than now), people were a lot more stressed out than now.

And mass shootings like we have today, were far lower. And most of those, were done by gangsters shooting other gangsters, not lone whacko misfits shooting up a school or shopping mall.

Nice research as usual, gabby.

BTW, something else that was true then but not now: There was a far greater chance that the crowd that the whacko loner decided to shoot into, contained a few people who were armed and could shoot back. And no way to tell which ones they were. Could this have had anything to do with the whackos existing back then, deciding not to shoot up the mall or school in the first place? Hence the lower number of mass shootings? Hmmmmm?

diuretic
02-28-2008, 09:00 PM
I think they come in 'rashes' because of copy cats. The Columbine shooters became mythic to those bordering on that type of behavior.

Today our local news reported that ISU, (Illinois State University), an investigation has begun regarding some graffiti found in a restroom. Some do it for attention, others will actually try. I know of no way to keep these out of the news.

I think that's a powerful argument, the copycat argument.

Kathianne
02-28-2008, 09:07 PM

Thank you, once in awhile I get an idea! :laugh2:

trobinett
02-28-2008, 09:28 PM

Of COURSE its a "powerful argument", that's the most intelligent thing you've posted on this thread.

Our culture is no different, or more self destructive, than any other.

To HOPE, that you can make an argument for such an opinion is ridiculous.

diuretic
02-29-2008, 02:57 AM
Of COURSE its a "powerful argument", that's the most intelligent thing you've posted on this thread.

Our culture is no different, or more self destructive, than any other.

To HOPE, that you can make an argument for such an opinion is ridiculous.

t - try something new. Try arguing the point instead of the person, play the ball not the man, as we say.

And don't verbal me. If you're going to reference a point or a statement I make then do the right thing and keep it accurate as possible. I can understand errors because this is text but do your best and I'll appreciate it.