PDA

View Full Version : status of the war

manu1959
02-28-2008, 11:10 PM
http://zombietime.com/lafayette_mock_war_memorial/

in a town not far from me there is a hill on it with a cross for every solider killed in iraq....i think there are 3984 crosses....i know this because there is a tote board.....

the leftys updated and matain this protest memorial every day.....i was biking past it the other day and some dudes were pissed that the "no soliders are being killed" and couldn't change the number and build more crosses....

scum....

Gaffer
02-29-2008, 10:58 AM
hmmm no deaths this month. Isn't that some kind of news that should be reported? You know like the lowest US death rate in iraq since....? That would show progress though.

Hagbard Celine
02-29-2008, 11:02 AM
You guys are incapable of seeing the big picture apparently. Let me spell it out for you: 3,984 deaths.

THREE THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY FOUR DEATHS.

You guys are right. It's the media that's the enemy here. I don't know why I didn't see it earlier.

Gaffer
02-29-2008, 11:21 AM
You guys are incapable of seeing the big picture apparently. Let me spell it out for you: 3,984 deaths.

You guys are right. It's the media that's the enemy here. I don't know why I didn't see it earlier.

Your right, it is the media that's the enemy. Ask around, why isn't no US deaths in a month big news?

3984 killed over a period of 5 years. Statistically that's a minuscule amount. And it would be less if the media wasn't encouraging the islamists by trying to make the administration look bad and only reporting the US casualties. Calling for withdrawl dates, digging for US wrongs, declaring the war lost all encourage our enemies to keep fighting. They learned the lessons of Vietnam. They know they just have to hang on and let the media do their work for them. This is EXACTLY the same shit that went on 40 years ago.

Hagbard Celine
02-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Your right, it is the media that's the enemy. Ask around, why isn't no US deaths in a month big news?

3984 killed over a period of 5 years. Statistically that's a minuscule amount. And it would be less if the media wasn't encouraging the islamists by trying to make the administration look bad and only reporting the US casualties. Calling for withdrawl dates, digging for US wrongs, declaring the war lost all encourage our enemies to keep fighting. They learned the lessons of Vietnam. They know they just have to hang on and let the media do their work for them. This is EXACTLY the same shit that went on 40 years ago.

You're a buffoon. The media is not the reason that 3,984 US military personnel are dead. The reason is that our government sent them into Iraq without a plan or the necessary tools to win the fight. The fact that the media reported what happened has nothing to do with anything except that we actually know what happened. Are you really stupid enough to believe that Iraqi insurgents watch the American news before they go out and fight? Are you really moronic enough to believe that's what motivates them? Are you legally retarded?

Immanuel
02-29-2008, 11:44 AM
I refuse to comment on this thread until this month is over for fear of jinxing anything, but rest assured that I have my fingers crossed that when this month is over there will be a great big goose egg in the column for U.S. Deaths.

Immie

Gaffer
02-29-2008, 12:00 PM
You're a buffoon. The media is not the reason that 3,984 US military personnel are dead. The reason is that our government sent them into Iraq without a plan or the necessary tools to win the fight. The fact that the media reported what happened has nothing to do with anything except that we actually know what happened. Are you really stupid enough to believe that Iraqi insurgents watch the American news before they go out and fight? Are you really moronic enough to believe that's what motivates them? Are you legally retarded?

Is there somewhere in this post that I called you a name?

The media is the reason for the war dragging on. How much reporting has the media done on iraq over the past month? They are not reporting anything because it would show progress.

Are you stupid enough to think the islamists don't monitor news reports? They have internet access and satellite TV. They keep close tabs on what goes on in this country. The average mo fighter doesn't know or care about what the media says. But his leaders do. They watch and they use it. If the media announces a withdraw date they just tell mo to sit back and wait. If the media shows the country getting upset over casualties they tell mo to attack. It does take thinking on a strategic level to understand all this.

Hagbard Celine
02-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Is there somewhere in this post that I called you a name?

The media is the reason for the war dragging on. How much reporting has the media done on iraq over the past month? They are not reporting anything because it would show progress.

Are you stupid enough to think the islamists don't monitor news reports? They have internet access and satellite TV. They keep close tabs on what goes on in this country. The average mo fighter doesn't know or care about what the media says. But his leaders do. They watch and they use it. If the media announces a withdraw date they just tell mo to sit back and wait. If the media shows the country getting upset over casualties they tell mo to attack. It does take thinking on a strategic level to understand all this.

The media never has announced a withdrawal date because the government has never announced a withdrawal date. It's a ridiculous point of view. You think media coverage of the war is the reason it has lasted this long? It's beyond ridiculous and it's an archetypical example for the application of the old phrase "don't kill the messenger." Should the media not report on the war? Do we not have the right to know what our military is doing overseas?
I already know what you're going to say and the military has NEVER been compromised by anything that has been reported on the news. No position has ever been given away. No secret operations have ever been given away. NEVER. Not even the ridiculous Geraldo drawing in the sand gave anything away. And it's the media's duty to report US casualties. We as voters and tax payers need to know exactly what the costs of war are. And we need to be reminded of it every single day. There are people who don't even remember that we're at war right now. It's ridiculous and yet you think the media is to blame for everything bad in the world. :rolleyes: One can only hope that Osama bin Laden wasn't watching the Today Show this morning. I think they mentioned something about Iraq during the news blurb :eek: It could've been just the tip Al-Qaeda was looking for!

Classact
02-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Our nation has a reputation of leaving war when it becomes too drawn out or too bloody that stemmed from Vietnam and was continued in the situation of the USMC barracks bombing in Lebanon and then the Black Hawk Down exit...

The enemy looks at the history of their enemy and they rely on lessons learned as mentioned above. Iraq may continue to be quiet and security continue to improve through the summer but the enemy, and I'm speaking of AQ in Iraq and AQ in general are keeping their powder dry and watching. They watched as the Democratic Party voted 40 times on failure in Iraq or a way to promote failure and each time they encouraged failure by making it more painful.

They watch now and if Senator Obama is elected President they will strike and strike brutally regardless of how great calm and security have improved because they see weakness and desire to see America depart Iraq from building tops as they dance in the streets over burning American flags. We only must wait to see that the enemy knows us well. You will see a hell on earth in the ME if Obama wins. Mark this post and roll on the floor when you prove me wrong! Please remind me of this stupid post next Spring if Obama is elected and the ME is peaceful... please remind me!!!

Classact
02-29-2008, 01:01 PM
The media never has announced a withdrawal date because the government has never announced a withdrawal date. It's a ridiculous point of view. You think media coverage of the war is the reason it has lasted this long? It's beyond ridiculous and it's an archetypical example for the application of the old phrase "don't kill the messenger." Should the media not report on the war? Do we not have the right to know what our military is doing overseas?
I already know what you're going to say and the military has NEVER been compromised by anything that has been reported on the news. No position has ever been given away. No secret operations have ever been given away. NEVER. Not even the ridiculous Geraldo drawing in the sand gave anything away. And it's the media's duty to report US casualties. We as voters and tax payers need to know exactly what the costs of war are. And we need to be reminded of it every single day. There are people who don't even remember that we're at war right now. It's ridiculous and yet you think the media is to blame for everything bad in the world. :rolleyes: One can only hope that Osama bin Laden wasn't watching the Today Show this morning. I think they mentioned something about Iraq during the news blurb :eek: It could've been just the tip Al-Qaeda was looking for!Obama and the Democratic Party give HOPE to more than those who blindly waddle around behind them like sheep... They give the enemy HOPE! Don't believe then watch as the blame Bush as they leave from rooftops if they win.

Gaffer
02-29-2008, 01:23 PM
I already know what you're going to say and the military has NEVER been compromised by anything that has been reported on the news. No position has ever been given away. No secret operations have ever been given away. NEVER. Not even the ridiculous Geraldo drawing in the sand gave anything away. And it's the media's duty to report US casualties. We as voters and tax payers need to know exactly what the costs of war are. And we need to be reminded of it every single day. There are people who don't even remember that we're at war right now. It's ridiculous and yet you think the media is to blame for everything bad in the world. :rolleyes: One can only hope that Osama bin Laden wasn't watching the Today Show this morning. I think they mentioned something about Iraq during the news blurb :eek: It could've been just the tip Al-Qaeda was looking for!

The media is not giving away military movements. The military won't let them. But they are doing everything they can to hamper the military by reporting abuses and methods of getting information. The reporting of casualties is news. But there is only one side being reported on. A US soldier gets killed and the media is all over it. But they fail to mention the 150 enemy that were killed at the same time. They fail to mention the soldier being awarded medals for bravery or the other members of his unit that also earned medals. That's all news but its ignored.

The media has tried repeatedly to show the soldiers as victims in the war. Only to have it thrown back in their faces by the soldiers themselves. It's not Vietnam. The soldiers are not draftees being sent off against their will. So the media has tried to demonize them instead. And its all done to make Bush look bad. For no other reason than that.

bin laden isn't watching the news himself. He's has people who do that for him and report what they see and hear. They also monitor internet blogs and report what they read. They watch c-span and report on what the politicians say. They keep tabs on the pulse of America and decisions are made based on what they see and hear.

There are people that don't know there is a war on. There are also many more people that think iraq is just a war unto itself. A war to be used for political ends. When in fact its just one front in a multi-front war.

theHawk
02-29-2008, 01:32 PM

No you jackass, the reason 3,984 service men and women are dead is because of our terrorist enemies killing them. And every day those terrorist enemies of ours are emboldened to keep fighting because liberals in America want to cave into their demands. They sense that they can win if Dems get their way in America.

manu1959
02-29-2008, 02:04 PM
No you jackass, the reason 3,984 service men and women are dead is because of our terrorist enemies killing them. And every day those terrorist enemies of ours are emboldened to keep fighting because liberals in America want to cave into their demands. They sense that they can win if Dems get their way in America.

yes the north vietnam said they were near to breaking but the media finsihed us off before they broke.........

Gaffer
02-29-2008, 02:25 PM
yes the north vietnam said they were near to breaking but the media finsihed us off before they broke.........

Exactly. And they are doing the same thing today they did back then. And it's all to get their political hacks elected.

The Reverend
02-29-2008, 06:29 PM
American soldiers died in higher numbers during some of the peace-time years in the 1980s than in recent years when the military has fought conflicts in both Iraq and Afghanistan, according to a government report on casualty rates.
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=/Nation/archive/200711/NAT20071112a.html

http://sweetness-light.com/archive/crs-stats-show-troop-deaths-at-peacetime-rate
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2311/1847402056_5a409521f3_o.jpg
Peacetime Military Deaths in Clinton Years Higher Than Bush Years

The total military dead in the Iraq war between 2003 and this month stands at about 3,133. However, comparatively the number of military deaths during the Clinton administration: 1,245 in 1993; 1,109 in 1994; 1,055 in 1995; 1,008 in 1996. That's 4,417 deaths in peacetime.
http://digg.com/politics/Peacetime_Military_Deaths_in_Clinton_Years_Higher_ Than_Bush_Years

actsnoblemartin
02-29-2008, 06:33 PM
the liberal media, like hag fag :finger3:

isnt happy unless more u.s. troops die

:laugh2:

hmmm no deaths this month. Isn't that some kind of news that should be reported? You know like the lowest US death rate in iraq since....? That would show progress though.

manu1959
02-29-2008, 07:43 PM
American soldiers died in higher numbers during some of the peace-time years in the 1980s than in recent years when the military has fought conflicts in both Iraq and Afghanistan, according to a government report on casualty rates.
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=/Nation/archive/200711/NAT20071112a.html

http://sweetness-light.com/archive/crs-stats-show-troop-deaths-at-peacetime-rate
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2311/1847402056_5a409521f3_o.jpg
Peacetime Military Deaths in Clinton Years Higher Than Bush Years

The total military dead in the Iraq war between 2003 and this month stands at about 3,133. However, comparatively the number of military deaths during the Clinton administration: 1,245 in 1993; 1,109 in 1994; 1,055 in 1995; 1,008 in 1996. That's 4,417 deaths in peacetime.
http://digg.com/politics/Peacetime_Military_Deaths_in_Clinton_Years_Higher_ Than_Bush_Years

i believe clinton sent troops into battle in three nations.....and us soil and or intrests were attacked on at least six other occasions .....

The Reverend
02-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Point is lots of troops died during his Administration and there was not the "care" for our troops from the media and liberals as there is now.

bullypulpit
03-01-2008, 06:02 AM

Troops who, if Chimpy McPresident had not invaded Iraq, would not have been killed by terrorists who didn't show up there until <b>AFTER</b> the fucking invasion. You guys <b>ALWAYS</b> leave that inconvenient truth out.

DragonStryk72
03-01-2008, 07:36 AM

If it is their duty to report the deaths, to point out the failings, then, as well, it is also their duty to report when there are no death in Iraq, or when a plan is working well. This is referred to as balanced reporting, and there seems to be a bit less of it each year.

Might I as well remind you, that given the length and intensity of this war, that the number of deaths you keep slapping people is less than ANY other war we've fought in the past 60 years? Deaths are horrible, and I've lost a friend to this one already, but damned if I'm going to stop seeing the full picture just because of that. Given the massive screw-ups of this administration, we're doing amazingly in Iraq.

It still isn't good, but seriously, do we leave Iraq like we left Germany after WWI? you're asking for trouble there, and if such is the case that we bear the responsibility for starting this war unnecessarily, then yes, it is just as true that we have now, a duty and responsibility to fix what we have unjustly broken.

Dilloduck
03-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Troops who, if Chimpy McPresident had not invaded Iraq, would not have been killed by terrorists who didn't show up there until <b>AFTER</b> the fucking invasion. You guys <b>ALWAYS</b> leave that inconvenient truth out.

Doesn't it save a lot of trouble to 'invite' the enemy to a battlefield of our choosing than to try to chase them through every other country where radical muslims exist ? Personally I think it was nice of them to show up and get to get their asses kicked.

diuretic
03-01-2008, 09:02 AM
The war was over a couple of years ago. This is an occupation.

AFbombloader
03-01-2008, 09:07 AM

That number sounds really close the the amount that were killed in one day back in September 2001. That tells us who the enemy is!

AF:salute:

diuretic
03-01-2008, 09:41 AM
That number sounds really close the the amount that were killed in one day back in September 2001. That tells us who the enemy is!

AF:salute:

No it doesn't. It tells you how many people were killed.

The enemy in that case was AQ. The people who carried out the atrocities were killed. The people who ordered those atrocities are still at large. Despite several years of effort, which included the invasion of Afghanistan, they haven't been brought to justice.

In the meantime Iraq is occupied and thousands and thousands of people have been killed there since the invasion and during the occupation.

The only connection there is the utter incompetence of BushCheney, other than that the events are discrete.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
03-01-2008, 05:10 PM
In the first 2 years of the Vietnam Conflict (War) there were over 5000 US soldiers killed, primarlity by sniper, small arms and booby traps.

The Vietnam Conflict lasted from 1959 to April 30, 1975 when the last 10 United States Marines were airlifted out of the US Embassy.

58,209 US Military personnel were killed or classified as KIA.

There are 58,178 names on the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington, DC. I will be there this Memorial Day as a part of the yearly protest ride, known as Rolling Thunder. I have once again, been asked to be an escort for a mother, father, wife or sibling of a military servicemember who has been killed in the line of duty for our nation.

All deaths of our servicemembers are hard to take. As a former Marine, I did not relish the thought that I may die in the line of service, but accepted it as a part of the duty I feel is important to being a citizen of the US, which allows those who dissent the right to do so.

FOr those of you who dissent, you should at least give thanks for the freedoms you have!

manu1959
03-01-2008, 05:24 PM
The war was over a couple of years ago. This is an occupation.

not quite ..... the government of iraq has asked us to stay.....an occupation would be if they asked us to leave we would not leave....

diuretic
03-01-2008, 07:10 PM
not quite ..... the government of iraq has asked us to stay.....an occupation would be if they asked us to leave we would not leave....

I'll have to accept that. I suspect, but of course can't prove, that the US and its allies have no intention of ever leaving Iraq, at least while it has oil. We'll find out what the story is if and when the Iraqi government decides that it no longer wants western forces and the western forces refuse to leave because of the need to control the oil reserves in Iraq. That would be a hostile occupation. At the moment the situation is slightly reminiscent of Vichy France in WWII, there's an uneasy co-existence between the indigenous government and forces from outside.