PDA

View Full Version : Vocabulary and Vernacular

Yurt
02-29-2008, 12:19 AM
If someone says:

He is fast

is it fair to say, that "he" is quick? or speedy?

would these simple change of words that mean virtually the same thing, alter the meaning of the sentence?

JohnDoe
02-29-2008, 12:42 AM
not really...or it depends if there is more to the sentence or what is trying to be said imo.

For example, if it were: He is fast at learning the new methods of operation. You could replace it with, He is quick at learning the new methods of operation. And I would say that quick might actually be the better word in describing the situation than fast would be.

if you are trying to get across that the guy is a tad over ambitious when it comes to getting in to your pants, you might just say, He is fast. He is quick, would not have the same meaning. or He is speedy, may not have the same meaning...

And if someone got something done in a rapid manner, you could say he got that done quickly but you would not say he got that done fastly....

each word has its place imo, and all depending on the meaning you are trying to get across, you would choose the word giving the clearest meaning to what you wanted it to mean is what i think. Not all synonyms for the same word are interchangable, it depends on what you are trying to say, imo.

hjmick
02-29-2008, 12:43 AM
If someone says:

He is fast

Yes. If the intent is to indicate that he is fleet of foot.

would these simple change of words that mean virtually the same thing, alter the meaning of the sentence?

If you are still referring to speed, the words mean virtually the same thing and do not alter the sentence. However, the words "fast" and "quick" could be interpreted as possessing a sharp mind. To say simply "He is fast" or "He is quick" could be considered ambiguous. To what are you fererring? His mind or his athletic prowess?

manu1959
02-29-2008, 12:44 AM
If someone says:

He is fast

well......i am pretty sure that no matter the word you pick most women would be disapointed........

Yurt
02-29-2008, 12:59 AM
he is a fast runner

he is a speedy runner

he is a quick runner

sorry about the lack of clarification (it was all in my head :laugh2:)

does the change of word change the sentence or the meaning?

i want to slow america's military weaponry modernization/advancements

i want to retard america's military weaponry modernization/advancements

i want to curtail america's military weaponery modernization/advancements

any difference?

hjmick
02-29-2008, 01:04 AM
I would say that those all mean the same thing.

Yurt
02-29-2008, 01:10 AM
thats what i thought, but a member here dragged on a conversation about this to the point of ad nauseam and i just wanted some other viewpoints.

thanks.

and manu -- :laugh2:

diuretic
02-29-2008, 02:44 AM
This isn't going to help but I love words -

In cricket there are several types of bowlers, I won't go on about them (because I'm not knowledgeable about cricket) but the one that gets everybody going is the "fast bowler". In recent years the "fast bowler" has increasingly been called a "quick". I'll admit it, I'm a pedant. "Quick" annoys the bloody hell out of me. It's a real wankword - "he's a quick". Manu's right :laugh2: next time someone says that I should yell out, "yeah and his wife's disappointed!"

Fast - a description of speed (also can be used to mean 'quick-witted') but for me it contains a definite statement of speed, "jeez that was fast!"
Quick - more than slow, for me this doesn't have the impact of "fast"
Speedy - a small Mexican mouse.

Kathianne
02-29-2008, 03:04 AM
If someone says:

He is fast

Did you know that when you wrote this, it was National Grammar Day? :laugh2:

Yurt
02-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Did you know that when you wrote this, it was National Grammar Day? :laugh2:

serious?

Monkeybone
02-29-2008, 11:35 AM
it must run in the faimly

Classact
02-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Did you know that when you wrote this, it was National Grammar Day? :laugh2:That's funny a national day that only happens every four years.

Kathianne
02-29-2008, 01:07 PM
That's funny a national day that only happens every four years.

Wouldn't that be if today? :laugh2: