PDA

View Full Version : Bush & Rove's Political Prisoner: Don Siegelman

NATO AIR
03-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Having heard about this prior to seeing it on 60 Minutes and then reading about the House investigation into this, I am heartened to see some Republican conservatives like Grant Woods (Former Arizona Attorney General from 91-99) speaking out on this and calling for Siegelman (Alabama's ex-Democratic governor) to be released. His entire prosecution was a political prosecution by Bush, Rove and the Alabama GOP who wanted to get rid of the guy by any means necessary.

Rove and his ilk should hang for corrupting our justice system in such a manner and clearly depriving this poor bastard of his rights.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/21/60minutes/main3859830_page4.shtml

But Grant Woods, the former attorney general of Arizona, says the case should never have gone to trial. “The prosecutor's gotta look at it and say, ‘Hey, is this the sort of thing that we're really talking about when we're talking about bribery?’ Because what the public needs to know here is there is no allegation that Don Siegelman ever put one penny in his pocket,” he says.

Richard Scrushy did make donations totaling $500,000 to that education lottery campaign, and after serving on the hospital board under three previous governors, Scrushy was re-appointed by Siegelman.

But Woods says that’s politics, not bribery. “You do a bribery when someone has a real personal benefit. Not, ‘Hey, I would like for you to help out on this project which I think is good for my state.’ If you're going to start indicting people and putting them in prison for that, then you might as well just build nine or ten new federal prisons because that happens everyday in every statehouse, in every city council, and in the Congress of the United States,” he says.

“What you seem to be saying here is that this is analogous to giving a great deal of money to a presidential campaign. And as a result, you become ambassador to Paris,” Pelley remarks.

“Exactly. That's exactly right,” Woods says.

Siegelman was campaigning in the 2006 Democratic primary as he went to trial. “We’re going to turn this bus into what we call the night shift, because after the trial every day we’re gonna be hittin the trail every day,” he said.

But he lost in the primary. After two months, the jury deadlocked twice, then, voted to convict on its third deliberation. Many legal minds were shocked when federal judge Mark Fuller, at sentencing, sent Siegelman directly to prison without allowing the usual 45 days before reporting.

“He had him manacled around his legs like we do with crazed killers. And whisked off to prison just like that. Now what does that tell you? That tells you that this was personal. You would not do that to a former governor,” Woods says.

“Would you do that to any white collar criminal?” Pelley asks.

“No, I haven't seen it done,” Woods says.

“Help me understand something. You're blaming the Republican administration for this prosecution. You're saying it was a political prosecution. You are a Republican. How do I reconcile that?” Pelley asks.

“We're Americans first. And you got to call it as you see it. And you got to stand up for what's right in this country,” Woods says.

JohnDoe
03-02-2008, 12:18 AM
this is disgusting, those who put him away, should be incarcerated themselves and YES this IS WHAT bush gave us with his manipulation for POLITICAL PARTISAN reasons only OUR Justice Dept.... he's corrupted our justice system, even if it was not his initial intentions... imho.

jd

Kathianne
03-02-2008, 12:22 AM
this is disgusting, those who put him away, should be incarcerated themselves and YES this IS WHAT bush gave us with his manipulation for POLITICAL PARTISAN reasons only OUR Justice Dept.... he's corrupted our justice system, even if it was not his initial intentions... imho.

jd

Actually it was TM and some others that were arguing on this board and others about how 'corrupt' he was and how the Reps were ignoring:

http://debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=8686&highlight=Siegelman&page=8

NATO AIR
03-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Actually it was TM and some others that were arguing on this board and others about how 'corrupt' he was and how the Reps were ignoring:

http://debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=8686&highlight=Siegelman&page=8

I believe the Clintons and co. polluted the federal government quite well in their terms, but Bush and Rove have taken it to a whole new level. I've tried searching for a historical parallel to this kind of corrupt prosecution of an elected official and can't find one. Its disheartening that it was allowed to happen.

Congress should unite on this and order the arrest of Rove and Miers. This is beyond breaking the law, its perverting it, undermining it and corrupting it beyond belief. We can't stand for this. If Hillary and co. were doing this, NRO and everyone else would be up in arms. But because its Bush, we're supposed to stay silent because he's "our guy"?

As Woods said, we're Americans first. This is unAmerican to its rotten core.

Dilloduck
03-02-2008, 09:58 AM
I believe the Clintons and co. polluted the federal government quite well in their terms, but Bush and Rove have taken it to a whole new level. I've tried searching for a historical parallel to this kind of corrupt prosecution of an elected official and can't find one. Its disheartening that it was allowed to happen.

Congress should unite on this and order the arrest of Rove and Miers. This is beyond breaking the law, its perverting it, undermining it and corrupting it beyond belief. We can't stand for this. If Hillary and co. were doing this, NRO and everyone else would be up in arms. But because its Bush, we're supposed to stay silent because he's "our guy"?

As Woods said, we're Americans first. This is unAmerican to its rotten core.

Sorry NATO but the days of being Americans first is long gone. Multi-culturalism, partisanship, race and economic disparity has destroyed it. Anyone suggesting an 'America First' attitude is immediately labeled as a bigot or silly flag waver.

NATO AIR
03-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Sorry NATO but the days of being Americans first is long gone. Multi-culturalism, partisanship, race and economic disparity has destroyed it. Anyone suggesting an 'America First' attitude is immediately labeled as a bigot or silly flag waver.

Indeed, but fascinating to see our two main presidential candidates being both "America First"ers.

Dilloduck
03-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Indeed, but fascinating to see our two main presidential candidates being both "America First"ers.

They lie. They would sell America down the river and tell us all that it's for our own good.

theHawk
03-02-2008, 10:26 AM
I think its a bit far fetched to link Bush and Rove to this. It doesn't suprise me that Rove would be digging for dirt on Dems, he probably has a folder for ever Dem in the country, but there is nothing wrong with that. Republicans do it, and Dems do it as well.

Now, it is fishy that Canary's wife just happened to be the lead prosecutor when he was campaigning for his opponent. The reality is that it was probably politically motivated. But saying this guy is "Bush and Roves' political prisoner" just reeks of the Hate-Bush Bandwagon.

NATO AIR
03-02-2008, 01:30 PM
I think its a bit far fetched to link Bush and Rove to this. It doesn't suprise me that Rove would be digging for dirt on Dems, he probably has a folder for ever Dem in the country, but there is nothing wrong with that. Republicans do it, and Dems do it as well.

Now, it is fishy that Canary's wife just happened to be the lead prosecutor when he was campaigning for his opponent. The reality is that it was probably politically motivated. But saying this guy is "Bush and Roves' political prisoner" just reeks of the Hate-Bush Bandwagon.

You have a Republican operative saying Rove was the one who wanted to get rid of the guy. You also have serious evidence of corruption of the federal prosecutors by various state officials across the country getting favors from Rove, Bush & Gonzales.

This is one of those rare moments when the conspiracy is quite near the truth. That Rove is this foolish only speaks volumes for the kind of hypocrisy and arrogance he showed throughout his time in office, especially when the GOP ran Congress for 4 years and acted as a rubber stamp for whatever the executive wanted, a sharp deviance from our Constitutional balance of/separation of powers.

JohnDoe
03-28-2008, 10:48 AM
You have a Republican operative saying Rove was the one who wanted to get rid of the guy. You also have serious evidence of corruption of the federal prosecutors by various state officials across the country getting favors from Rove, Bush & Gonzales.

This is one of those rare moments when the conspiracy is quite near the truth. That Rove is this foolish only speaks volumes for the kind of hypocrisy and arrogance he showed throughout his time in office, especially when the GOP ran Congress for 4 years and acted as a rubber stamp for whatever the executive wanted, a sharp deviance from our Constitutional balance of/separation of powers.

HOLY CRAP!

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2008/03/siegelman_to_be_released_from.html

The exgovernor was ORDERED to be let out of prison yesterday!

The stuff regarding this and Rove MAY actually be coming out in to the open?

hmmmm....

jd