PDA

View Full Version : So long to the thong as women reject the chav look for big pants

stephanie
03-02-2008, 04:11 AM
Oh nooooooooo...Not the thongs..

By LIZ HULL - More by this author »

Last updated at 02:07am on 5th February 2008

Comments (15)

Cheeky: Penny Lancaster shows her thong
At the height of their popularity they accounted for a third of the underwear bought by women.

But now the bottom has fallen out of the thong market.

Sales of the G-string have fallen to their lowest for five years after they increasingly became associated with football WAGs and chav culture.

In contrast, larger knickers or boy shorts, regarded as more flattering for the figure, have dramatically increased in popularity.

Like the thong, they have the benefit of wiping out the dreaded VPL (visible panty line) under clothes.

But fans argue they have the added advantage of being more comfortable, as well as hugging and holding the derriere, providing far more support.

The thong first won mainstream respectability in the late 1990s when a Gucci model wore one on the catwalk.

Soon afterwards Melanie Blatt, a singer with All Saints, was photographed flashing her thong as she got out of a taxi and Victoria Beckham suggested that her husband enjoyed wearing her G-strings around the home.

Other celebrity thong wearers included Penny Lancaster, Mrs Rod Stewart.

However, the thong eventually became the signature garment of chav fashion and the backlash began. Trinny Woodall, copresenter of BBC1's What Not To Wear, described women who wore thongs showing above their trousers as "disgusting."

Elle Macpherson, the 41-year-old supermodel who has her own underwear range, also said: "G-strings are uncomfortable. Girls want real knickers now."

Even Jodie Marsh, the model and reality TV star who boasts a collection of more than 500 G-strings, has been tempted by bigger pants. "Showing your thong is a bit old now," she said recently.

"I'd rather have big knickers showing over the top of my jeans."

According to retail analysts TNS, sales of G-strings have plummeted over the past five years.

read the rest and comments:laugh2:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=512321&in_page_id=1879&ICO=FEMAIL&ICL=TOPART

diuretic
03-02-2008, 05:59 AM
Brits and their knicker fetishes! :laugh2:

actsnoblemartin
03-02-2008, 06:00 AM
simon cowell?

:lol:

Brits and their knicker fetishes! :laugh2:

diuretic
03-02-2008, 03:36 PM
simon cowell?

:lol:

I've seen him on YouTube. He's a prick.

Dilloduck
03-02-2008, 05:19 PM
OK fashion aint my thing-----what is chav? I couldnt even figure it out by googling it.

diuretic
03-02-2008, 06:38 PM
OK fashion aint my thing-----what is chav? I couldnt even figure it out by googling it.

Chavs are a British thing - I'm trying to think of an American equivalent and I don't know if there is one. We have something similar we call "bogans" (it would take me a long time to explain that one). I think they're a sort of cashed-up yobbo class that give ordinary folks in Britain the shits :laugh2:

gabosaurus
03-03-2008, 12:55 AM
I have never worn a thong in my life. Walking around with a wedgie is not my idea of comfort.
I prefer the awesome sexy underwear you get six to a bag at Target.

Psychoblues
03-03-2008, 01:07 AM
My wife is a 120 lb. specimen of human beauty and she prefers cotton briefs in the same style as men's briefs. She is now 61 y/o and she still looks GREAT, IMHO.

gabosaurus
03-03-2008, 01:22 AM
Your wife is 61? Dang, she is older than my mom.
Who also still looks great, by the way. At least that is what my dad says.

Psychoblues
03-03-2008, 01:32 AM
Don't cut us old folks short, gabby. We still love living and we know a hell of a lot more about it than you do. Experience counts, don't you know?

Your wife is 61? Dang, she is older than my mom.
Who also still looks great, by the way. At least that is what my dad says.

Tell your mom and your dad that Psychoblues is on THEIR SIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trigg
03-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Chavs are a British thing - I'm trying to think of an American equivalent and I don't know if there is one. We have something similar we call "bogans" (it would take me a long time to explain that one). I think they're a sort of cashed-up yobbo class that give ordinary folks in Britain the shits :laugh2:

Well I hope your explination worked for Dilloduck because I'm totally confused about this part?????????????????????????????

I think they're a sort of cashed-up yobbo class that give ordinary folks in Britain the shits :laugh2

Let me just say HUH????????????

dan
03-03-2008, 01:51 PM

Once more, pal, it's all pops and buzzes past here!:laugh2:

diuretic
03-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Oops, well I knew what I meant!

Let me see if I can improve my communication skills.

Bogans (Aussie Chav types) - http://www.bogan.com.au/

Chavs - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

:coffee:

Trigg
03-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Oops, well I knew what I meant!

Let me see if I can improve my communication skills.

Bogans (Aussie Chav types) - http://www.bogan.com.au/

Chavs - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

:coffee:

This may get me in trouble, but the first word that popped into my head when seeing the wikipedia caricature was, wigger.

dan
03-04-2008, 01:19 PM
This may get me in trouble, but the first word that popped into my head when seeing the wikipedia caricature was, wigger.

Same here.

manu1959
03-04-2008, 01:23 PM

same here....they are all over my town.....i always want to offer to take them to east open and drop the off to see if they can make it out.....

today on "white rabbit" billy and tommy are going to try to make it home on foot.....

gabosaurus
03-04-2008, 02:11 PM
They make thongs for guys as well. Some of you should look into it...

jackass
03-04-2008, 02:22 PM

I have them in a rainbow of colors. Some of them are see through when they get wet....wanna see??? :banana:

manu1959
03-04-2008, 02:22 PM

naaaaaaah....banana hammocks are too confining....i prefer comando....

Yurt
03-04-2008, 03:57 PM

after you....wanna look at posters in bedroom again? :laugh2:

dan
03-04-2008, 04:24 PM
I have them in a rainbow of colors.

Yellow and brown does not make a rainbow, Jackass.:salute:

Yurt
03-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Yellow and brown does not make a rainbow, Jackass.:salute:

party pooper

Trigg
03-04-2008, 09:32 PM

Borat???? :laugh2:

Pale Rider
03-05-2008, 10:19 AM

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGIH,GGIH:2007-02,GGIH:en&q=chav+fashion