PDA

View Full Version : People seem to forget

The Reverend
03-02-2008, 07:22 PM
That our current illegal immigration problem is Reagan's fault.
Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986

manu1959
03-02-2008, 07:34 PM
The Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), also Simpson-Mazzoli Act (Pub.L. 99-603, 100 Stat. 3359, signed by President Ronald Reagan on November 6, 1986) is an Act of Congress which reformed United States immigration law. The Act made it illegal to knowingly hire or recruit undocumented immigrants (immigrants who do not possess lawful work authorization), required employers to attest to their employees' immigration status, and granted amnesty to undocumented immigrants who entered the United States before January 1, 1982 and had resided there continuously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_Reform_and_Control_Act_of_1986

tell me of enforcement of this law over the past 20 years.....

The Reverend
03-02-2008, 08:40 PM
That was not all it did

Many people were concerned that employer sanctions would lead to discrimination against legal immigrants or U.S. citizens who appeared foreign. To prevent such discrimination, the IRCA imposed penalties on employers who discriminated in this manner. The new employer sanctions, however, could cause great hardships for illegal immigrants who had been living and working in the United States for many years. The IRCA provided a program for certain illegal immigrants who had lived in the United States since at least January 1, 1982, to apply to become legal residents with the right to work. A different program allowed seasonal agricultural workers to apply for legal residency. Newly legal residents could eventually become citizens.

Nonagricultural workers had to prove they had a continuous physical presence in the United States, except for brief, casual, and innocent travel abroad. The Immigration and Nationalization Service (INS) required advance permission for any travel abroad, or the immigrant would be ineligible for the legalization program. Several lawsuits contested this advance-permission regulation. The courts invalidated the regulation twelve days before the deadline to file applications for legal resident status. Many immigrants, however, had not been allowed to file applications for legalization, or had not tried to file because they had been told their travel disqualified them from the program.http://www.answers.com/topic/immigration-reform-and-control-act-of-1986?cat=biz-fin

It was amnesty, as much as McCain-Kennedy was amnesty.

Dilloduck
03-02-2008, 08:59 PM
That was not all it did

http://www.answers.com/topic/immigration-reform-and-control-act-of-1986?cat=biz-fin

And your point is ?

03-02-2008, 09:06 PM
That was not all it did

http://www.answers.com/topic/immigration-reform-and-control-act-of-1986?cat=biz-fin

And it didn't work then. so why expect different now?

The Reverend
03-02-2008, 10:43 PM
And it didn't work then. so why expect different now?

My post about McCain-Kennedy was sarcasm.

McCain Kennedy actually enacted better enforcement.

Dilloduck
03-02-2008, 10:45 PM
My post about McCain-Kennedy was sarcasm.

McCain Kennedy actually enacted better enforcement.

:lol: oh ya---it's really working great !!!!!

The Reverend
03-03-2008, 06:55 AM
:lol: oh ya---it's really working great !!!!!

McCain-Kennedy was never passed, but had it passed it would have enected way better enforcement then we have now.

Dilloduck
03-03-2008, 07:19 AM
McCain-Kennedy was never passed, but had it passed it would have enected way better enforcement then we have now.

We ALREADY have laws we don't enforce---who are you kidding ??

The Reverend
03-03-2008, 07:26 AM
We ALREADY have laws we don't enforce---who are you kidding ??

The laws currently on the books are confusing, bad, and a lot of times not enforcable.

Dilloduck
03-03-2008, 07:38 AM
The laws currently on the books are confusing, bad, and a lot of times not enforcable.

To claim that a plan that was never tried would have worked better than what we already have is pushing it a bit don't you think. There were other parts of the bill that amounted to nothing less than amnesty and only extreme outrage by Americans stopped it.

jimnyc
03-03-2008, 07:44 AM
That our current illegal immigration problem is Reagan's fault.
Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986

Um, no, the current illegal immigration problem is the fault of those who thumb their nose at the law and sneak into our country illegally. You don't absolve those who commit crimes and look for ways to excuse their crimes by looking for weaknesses in our laws. No matter how you slice it, they are breaking the law and every single one of them should be punished. Blaming past legislation or excusing the crimes of illegals will not solve our problem.

Classact
03-03-2008, 07:51 AM
We have the US Chamber of Commerce supporting cheap labor... the Democratic Party frothing at the mouth for a new voting block greater than the blacks faithfully loyal and the press backing them up with brainwashing... People are fed political correctness as the Chamber of Commerce cleans up with cheap labor while keeping the non college wages extremely low... the left and the right are fighting the people and only screaming at the top of your lungs will stop congress from erasing the southern border.

The laws on the books are all we need to send them packing back to Mexico but there is no one on the right to fight the left, the ACLU and the press... enforce the law or make state laws to make them unwelcome and they will go home....

JohnDoe
03-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Um, no, the current illegal immigration problem is the fault of those who thumb their nose at the law and sneak into our country illegally. You don't absolve those who commit crimes and look for ways to excuse their crimes by looking for weaknesses in our laws. No matter how you slice it, they are breaking the law and every single one of them should be punished. Blaming past legislation or excusing the crimes of illegals will not solve our problem.

so is amnesty for committing crimes only given to rich white men, like Scooter Libby who was convicted of three different felonies?

:laugh2:

j/k u so don't git mean with me good lookin'!!!!! lollolllol

jd

The Reverend
03-03-2008, 02:12 PM
To claim that a plan that was never tried would have worked better than what we already have is pushing it a bit don't you think. There were other parts of the bill that amounted to nothing less than amnesty and only extreme outrage by Americans stopped it.

No it is not pushing it. I read the bill and what it proposed was a lot clearer and easier to enforce then what we have now.

The other parts were not amnesty, but you are right people saw it as that.

jimnyc
03-03-2008, 03:47 PM
so is amnesty for committing crimes only given to rich white men, like Scooter Libby who was convicted of three different felonies?

jd

While you're just kidding, let me clarify a little anyway. Libby was given a pardon, not amnesty. While almost the same it is different. He has served our country for many years and received his pardon likely as a result of that. What have the illegals done for our great nation to deserve to have their crimes wiped clean, besides milk us for all we're worth?

The Reverend
03-03-2008, 08:43 PM
While you're just kidding, let me clarify a little anyway. Libby was given a pardon, not amnesty
While we are clarifying let me clarify a little more. Libby was not pardoned his sentence was commuted.
Commutation is not the same as a pardon.
Commutation of sentence involves the reduction of legal penalties, especially in terms of imprisonment. Unlike a pardon, a commutation does not nullify the conviction and is often conditional.

manu1959
03-03-2008, 08:46 PM

jd

who did scooter work for before the bushies.....

JohnDoe
03-03-2008, 11:15 PM
who did scooter work for before the bushies..... ummmm, working for a law firm... on the Mark Rich pardon case....trying to convince Clinton to give him amnesty, and writing a book by himself that involved beastiality?

other than those two things, I dunno? Who was he working for?

jd

JohnDoe
03-03-2008, 11:18 PM
While we are clarifying let me clarify a little more. Libby was not pardoned his sentence was commuted.
Commutation of sentence involves the reduction of legal penalties, especially in terms of imprisonment. Unlike a pardon, a commutation does not nullify the conviction and is often conditional.Yes, but the rumor is the pardon will come by the end of the President's term.

JohnDoe
03-03-2008, 11:23 PM
While you're just kidding, let me clarify a little anyway. Libby was given a pardon, not amnesty. While almost the same it is different. He has served our country for many years and received his pardon likely as a result of that. What have the illegals done for our great nation to deserve to have their crimes wiped clean, besides milk us for all we're worth?I would imagine that every employer out there that has hired these illegals is VERY GREATFUL to them and the workloads they have accomplished for them at a cheap rate, allowing them to profit, and not lose their business to an overseas business.

but me, i don't give a hoot, they are illegal and that's that!

;)

jd

The Reverend
03-04-2008, 06:33 AM
Yes, but the rumor is the pardon will come by the end of the President's term.

That my or may not be true but currently he has not been pardoned.

jimnyc
03-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Commutation of sentence involves the reduction of legal penalties, especially in terms of imprisonment. Unlike a pardon, a commutation does not nullify the conviction and is often conditional.

I stand corrected but this does nothing to change the premise of my post, which was to indicate the difference between the treatment Libby received in comparison to amnesty for illegals. Libby is an American who served his country for many, many years. The illegals broke a crime with their first breath in our country and don't deserve to benefit from it by being given amnesty. On served our country while the other leeches from us.