PDA

View Full Version : Apple OS X 10.5.2 (Leopard)

Kathianne
03-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Just because it's a tad slow tonight and I have a macbook and a G5, not to mention just buying an ipod yesterday. ;)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2207556,00.asp

by Edward Mendelson

After three months with Apple's Mac OS X Leopard Version 10.5, I have three main things to say about it. First: Despite minor problems, it's by far the best operating system ever written for the vast majority of consumers, with dozens of new features that have real practical value—like truly automated backups, document and spreadsheet preview images in folders, and notes and to-do lists integrated into the mail program. Propeller-heads with IT know-how will no doubt hold up Linux as the better choice, and Vista has its devotees as well (and will probably have more when SP1 is widely available), but, for the average user, Leopard is the most polished and easiest to use OS I've tested. Second: Leopard started out with a generous share of first-version glitches, but almost all of them have now been resolved by the second of two automated updates, which brings Leopard up to version 10.5.2. Finally, Leopard is extravagantly overdressed for the jobs that it's designed to do, and its pervasive eye-candy starts out looking dazzling but soon becomes distracting. Fortunately, from the beginning, the OS started out with options that let you put it on a low-eye-sugar diet, and the latest update has even more...

Microcosmos
03-02-2008, 09:14 PM
I have Vista with no complaints, but if I had waited just a little bit I probably would've gone for something with Leopard. Of course, they don't sell any Macs at the local Wal-Mart, & that's where I was working part time (second job, which I quit once they started offering OT @ job #1) to get the 10% discount when I bought my current computer. Ahh, technology. Where would we be without it? What kind of iPod did you get? & why did you choose an iPod over the iPhone? Probably storage is my guess, but the iPhone has a lot of the Leopard eye-sugar goodness. And soon it will be a better smartphone, with 3rd-party apps!

Kathianne
03-02-2008, 09:23 PM
I have Vista with no complaints, but if I had waited just a little bit I probably would've gone for something with Leopard. Of course, they don't sell any Macs at the local Wal-Mart, & that's where I was working part time (second job, which I quit once they started offering OT @ job #1) to get the 10% discount when I bought my current computer. Ahh, technology. Where would we be without it? What kind of iPod did you get? & why did you choose an iPod over the iPhone? Probably storage is my guess, but the iPhone has a lot of the Leopard eye-sugar goodness. And soon it will be a better smartphone, with 3rd-party apps!

I have a blackjack, not the new one. Don't need the iphone. You probably don't know it, being a newbie relatively, but I'm basically deaf. I never saw a reason to get an ipod, until two weeks ago I found my blood pressure was starting to soar, then got the results of CBC last week and my cholesterol had gone just above 'normal.' Friday I walked for 30 minutes, had to stop. Sat. morning bought the ipod, downloaded some tunes and walked 50 minutes without looking at the clock. Did another 10 minutes on incline treadmill and it was worth the $50. ;) Needless to say, I bought the smallest. I'm not into music, as I can't hear the words. What I do is print the lyrics and memorize. :laugh2: then at least it all makes sense. You would NOT want to hear the lyrics I 'hear.'

Mr. P
03-03-2008, 12:04 AM
I have a blackjack, not the new one. Don't need the iphone. You probably don't know it, being a newbie relatively, but I'm basically deaf. I never saw a reason to get an ipod, until two weeks ago I found my blood pressure was starting to soar, then got the results of CBC last week and my cholesterol had gone just above 'normal.' Friday I walked for 30 minutes, had to stop. Sat. morning bought the ipod, downloaded some tunes and walked 50 minutes without looking at the clock. Did another 10 minutes on incline treadmill and it was worth the $50. ;) Needless to say, I bought the smallest. I'm not into music, as I can't hear the words. What I do is print the lyrics and memorize. :laugh2: then at least it all makes sense. You would NOT want to hear the lyrics I 'hear.'

But that's fun! Make up what ya want. Even those with good hearing do that. I know I've heard some songs hundreds of times and then one day I hear what the lyrics really are and think, oh ok. :laugh2:

diuretic
03-03-2008, 12:16 AM
There's a whole industry for misheard lyrics! The most famous one that comes to mind is "Scuse Me While I Kiss this Guy" ("Scuse Me While I Kiss the Sky" - Purple Haze - Jimi H.)

Jeez I read the article about Leopard Kathianne and my blood-sugar rocketed, I need to double my metformin :laugh2::cheers2:

Microcosmos
03-04-2008, 12:14 AM

Oh! Well, the iPhone is waaay overhyped anyway. Hey, it's good to find whatever motivation works for you to exercise! An hour on the treadmill is not too shabby, beats an hour of sleeping in which is what I normally do (I'm proud of myself if I work out once a month! I wonder why I pant like a dog during an annual hike in the mountains!)! I guess that's the downside of all of this wonderful technology--it makes you extremely lazy! Imagine if we had to plow our own fields and raise our own goats or something! Man we have it good in this country.

Kathianne
03-04-2008, 05:33 AM
Oh! Well, the iPhone is waaay overhyped anyway. Hey, it's good to find whatever motivation works for you to exercise! An hour on the treadmill is not too shabby, beats an hour of sleeping in which is what I normally do (I'm proud of myself if I work out once a month! I wonder why I pant like a dog during an annual hike in the mountains!)! I guess that's the downside of all of this wonderful technology--it makes you extremely lazy! Imagine if we had to plow our own fields and raise our own goats or something! Man we have it good in this country.

Well I'd say that so far most of the technology is from last century, but you are correct in that 'we have it good!'

On the other hand, so far this century has not been the best for security in many ways. :coffee: There is a lot of technology though, waiting to 'break through'. I wonder though if the government will keep their hands off things enough to allow it to flourish? I also wonder when the economy will become strong enough to get thte investments to help it break through?

diuretic
03-04-2008, 05:44 AM

If you have to pay for beer in your country then you're living under the most extreme commercial tyranny and should be emancipated.

I have the same problem.

I can't wait for the revolution.