PDA

View Full Version : Some Good News Regarding Obama

Kathianne
03-02-2008, 09:32 PM
His success may mean the end of discrimination in drawing voting districts:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-op-thernstrom2mar02,0,6709079.story

Is race out of the race?

White voters' support for Obama suggests a dramatic change in the electorate.
By Abigail Thernstrom and Stephan Thernstrom
March 2, 2008
One of the most notable -- yet unremarked-on -- lessons of this year's Democratic presidential nominating contest is the demolition of the long-held belief that whites simply won't vote for black candidates for higher office. Before the Iowa caucuses on Jan. 3, who could have predicted the remarkable outpouring of white support for Sen. Barack Obama?

As recently as 2006, when Congress held hearings on the renewal of the expiring parts of the Voting Rights Act, civil rights advocates delivered a united message, echoed by the House Judiciary Committee. "It is rare that white voters will cross over to elect minority preferred candidates," the committee's report concluded -- a statement from which there was no congressional dissent.

The 43 members of the Congressional Black Caucus, it seemed, were living proof of this. Overwhelmingly, they had been elected in "majority-minority" districts drawn specifically for African American candidates; only a handful had been elected in districts in which most voters were not black or some combination of black and Latino.

So it's not surprising that, as the 2008 presidential race got underway, many observers -- white and African American alike -- thought Obama's chances of winning the Democratic nomination were very poor. Robert Ford, a black state senator in South Carolina, for instance, told a Time magazine reporter in January 2007 that "Obama would need 43% of the white vote in some states to win, and that's humanly impossible." Southern blacks "don't believe this country is ready to vote for a black president," he added. Jesse Jackson argued that "a white female has an advantage over a black male." And after the first three contests, political scientist Philip Klinkner was ready to say that there was a "ceiling" on white support for Obama of about 35%....

Yurt
03-02-2008, 10:14 PM
so we will have more equal voting?

DragonStryk72
03-02-2008, 11:18 PM
so we will have more equal voting?

I'd like to think we would. I mean, seriously, we come alot further along than some would make it seem like.

Dilloduck
03-02-2008, 11:21 PM
I'd like to think we would. I mean, seriously, we come alot further along than some would make it seem like.

Hell--they just start to make Mexican voting districts and we start all over again.

Hugh Lincoln
03-03-2008, 09:41 PM
This assumes that there is something rational about racial politics in America. There isn't. Black demands won't stop with President Obama.