PDA

View Full Version : HD Radio vs. XM or Sirius Satellite Radio

Hagbard Celine
03-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Does anyone have either of these two systems and could they tell me why they chose one or the other? I'm getting a new stereo for my car soon and I want of course a CD player and an iPod extension wire for my glove box. But I would also like to have extra stuff to listen to on the radio.
My dad has XM and he loves it. He listens to the comedy and baseball talk channels all the time.
If I don't hear anything good about HD Radio I'll go with XM. The only downside is that I don't want to pay a membership fee if HD Radio has awesome programming.
Does anyone have an opinion on this subject?

glockmail
03-03-2008, 12:15 PM
I heard that XM is being bought out by Sirius.

I recently bought a lifetime subscription to Sirius for about $450 or so (pays for itself in less than 4 years). It allows me to switch radios 3 times, so I fgure it will last me 10 or 15 years in cars then a bit longer with a portable. I drive a lot in rural areas, and can now get 150 or so channels anywhere in the US, and I never have to search for a station. My signal is only interupted occasionally by close, steep mountains, trees on narrow roads, or (of course) tunnels. On a cross country trip I never have to change the channel or search for something. And the music stations are commercial free.

I sweated for months about satellite radio vs. getting an MP3 type sytem and connecting it to my car radio. The decision came down to the time I'd have to spend downloading (and paying for) content. That's too much of a pain in the ass so I went with the satellite radio.

My understanding of HD radio is that it is a digital signal put out by existing analog radio stations. There is no monthy fee, you just have to buy a new radio. It does nothing about the issues that satellite radio has solved for me.

PostmodernProphet
03-03-2008, 12:50 PM
I have XM.....have been a bit disatisfied with reception....I wanted to listen to it while I worked at my computer, but the reception in my basement is nil.....wanted to listen to it in my office, but my windows face north....poor reception.....wanted to listen to it in bed, but I have trees outside my bedroom window....poor reception....took it to Florida before I bought a car kit....I could listen to it if I held the unit in the upper right windshield.......wanted to listen to it while I ran in the gym....no reception in the gym......

sigh......I have since bought a Zune....much happier......I currently have two full length movies, fifty music videos I dowloaded from YouTube, my entire music library of fifty+ albums, several dozen podcasts and my family photoalbum loaded on it.....(I bought the old 30Gig....still have 10 to spare)

glockmail
03-03-2008, 12:56 PM
All legit concerns, except the computer. I can log onto the Sirius site and get a feed thrugh my web browser.

Hagbard Celine
03-03-2008, 01:37 PM
I don't think you can get a lifetime subscription to either provider anymore. I think I will go with XM. They have more channels and more programming than Sirius or HD Radio.

PostmodernProphet
03-03-2008, 02:37 PM
All legit concerns, except the computer. I can log onto the Sirius site and get a feed thrugh my web browser.

yes, I run through Vista sidebar....however, there are limits on the channels....

hjmick
03-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't do anything regarding XM or Sirius until they get this merger deal figured out, but that's just me. That being said, my choice would be predicated on which system carries Radio Margaritaville.

jimnyc
03-03-2008, 03:49 PM
As it stands right now, and unless the FCC grants the merger, it's a no brainer - XM. You can't get Opie & Anthony on Sirius! :)

glockmail
03-03-2008, 03:52 PM
I don't think you can get a lifetime subscription to either provider anymore. I think I will go with XM. They have more channels and more programming than Sirius or HD Radio. I got mine, like two months ago. You have to ask them about it, as its not advertised.

glockmail
03-03-2008, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't do anything regarding XM or Sirius until they get this merger deal figured out, but that's just me. That being said, my choice would be predicated on which system carries Radio Margaritaville.

As it stands right now, and unless the FCC grants the merger, it's a no brainer - XM. You can't get Opie & Anthony on Sirius! :) That's basically what it comes down to- what provider has the station(s) that you will listen to the most. Sirius seemed to have the better selection for talk radio, which is what I listen to primarily.

BTW Sirius has M'ville. They also have have E-Steet Radio which my wife likes to listen to (huge Springsteen fan).

Gadget (fmr Marine)
03-03-2008, 05:42 PM
I have had both XM and Sirius....let the XM lapse, and now have a Sirius radio in my truck and a portable unit with docking station in the house (as well as a boom box for the patio, and I also listen online)

Once the merger happens (I am an optimist by nature), there will be about an 18 month lag on hardware that will accept both XM and Sirius signals. Until that time, it is a matter of finding the programming that you like best, and signing up.

Neither company promotes the lifetime subscriptions, but they both have them available, all you have to do is ask when you buy your radio and hook it up.

HD is not High Definition, but rather Hybrid Digital. It is a proprietary signal developed for certain station to broadcast signals to radios that can accept them. There is only so much "spectrum" available for AM or FM radio stations to use, and that is the true limitation....the signal may be a little better, but you can only get so much signal out of the narrow badwidth allowed by the FCC per station. HD radio requires a new receiver....

I would suggest the Sirius Stilletto, because it records as it plays, and can be played back, just like an MP3 at any time. I use mine while flying, at the gym....anytime I would use an MP3 player. You can also get a docking station for your home and car, as well as a boombox, too. There are also pre-programmed record times you can set up, kind of like TiVo for your radio. If you like Howard (which I don't) you can have the radio record his shows (or any show) to be played back at any time.

glockmail
03-03-2008, 07:19 PM
..... If you like Howard (which I don't) ..... Neither do I. I listened to him for about 2 minutes when I was in high school and I thought he was infantile back then. I've listened to him several times since and my opinion has not changed.