PDA

View Full Version : Maricopa County Attorney Asks why National Guard on Border Retreated from Armed Gunme

stephanie
01-11-2007, 05:05 AM
Anyone hear of this incident??

By Andrew P. Thomas | View comments
For the first time in history, American troops fled from armed gunmen illegally crossing the Mexican-Arizona border. This is a terrible precedent for national security.

Today, Maricopa County County Attorney Andrew Thomas called for an inquiry by Congress and the Arizona legislature into the circumstances surrounding last week's reported retreat by National Guard troops along the Mexican border after they were confronted by four armed gunmen from Mexico. This development was troubling given that Valley streets increasingly are being flooded with crime, drugs and violence flowing from the open border with Mexico.

The Border Patrol acknowledged last week that National Guard troops abandoned a post along the Arizona border after being threatened by armed men entering from Mexico. This confrontation occurred along a porous border where drug lords and their gangs operate freely.

Thomas stated, "This incident cries out for an official inquiry. I am unaware of any other occasion in which American soldiers along the Mexican border were compelled to retreat from armed intruders."

He added, "This incident was a deep embarrassment for our state and nation, and a wake-up call. It needs to be recognized as such."

He called for Congress and the state legislature to inquire into the rules of engagement for National Guard troops, the chain of command, whether they were carrying bullets, and whether their job duties and security arrangements are appropriate. "We are counting on these troops to defend the border. They need to be given the tools to do so."
Thomas noted that the security situation along the Mexican border remains chaotic and Valley streets are being filled with crime, drugs and violence due to the semi-open border. Recent events along the border have highlighted the fact that the illegal immigration problem is only one facet of a broader crisis involving what he called "border security."

Last week, the Arizona Republic reported that Arizona has become the drug gateway to the nation, with record seizures of marijuana (more seizures occurred in Arizona than occurred in the other three border states combined) and massive amounts of meth, cocaine and heroin entering the country. Mexico supplies an estimated 90 percent of the meth entering Arizona, and Phoenix has become the nation's hub for meth distribution and related identity theft. Mexican border cities have become centers of murder and violence.

Although Thomas was not aware of a terrorist entering the nation illegally across the Mexican border and committing a terrorist act, he pointed out that could change at any time given the large number of illegal crossings occurring annually.

Thomas also questioned why Governor Janet Napolitano devoted only a small fraction of the tail end of her State of the State address yesterday to the border crisis. This was despite the fact that the issue figured prominently in last November's elections and four initiatives cracking down on illegal immigration passed overwhelmingly. "This issue requires continued leadership and commitment," he noted.
http://www.intellectualconservative.com/2007/maricopa-county-attorney-asks-why-national-guard-on-border-retreated-from-armed-gunmen-2/

Gunny
01-11-2007, 05:11 AM
Anyone hear of this incident??

By Andrew P. Thomas | View comments
For the first time in history, American troops fled from armed gunmen illegally crossing the Mexican-Arizona border. This is a terrible precedent for national security.

Today, Maricopa County County Attorney Andrew Thomas called for an inquiry by Congress and the Arizona legislature into the circumstances surrounding last week's reported retreat by National Guard troops along the Mexican border after they were confronted by four armed gunmen from Mexico. This development was troubling given that Valley streets increasingly are being flooded with crime, drugs and violence flowing from the open border with Mexico.

The Border Patrol acknowledged last week that National Guard troops abandoned a post along the Arizona border after being threatened by armed men entering from Mexico. This confrontation occurred along a porous border where drug lords and their gangs operate freely.

Thomas stated, "This incident cries out for an official inquiry. I am unaware of any other occasion in which American soldiers along the Mexican border were compelled to retreat from armed intruders."

He added, "This incident was a deep embarrassment for our state and nation, and a wake-up call. It needs to be recognized as such."

He called for Congress and the state legislature to inquire into the rules of engagement for National Guard troops, the chain of command, whether they were carrying bullets, and whether their job duties and security arrangements are appropriate. "We are counting on these troops to defend the border. They need to be given the tools to do so."
Thomas noted that the security situation along the Mexican border remains chaotic and Valley streets are being filled with crime, drugs and violence due to the semi-open border. Recent events along the border have highlighted the fact that the illegal immigration problem is only one facet of a broader crisis involving what he called "border security."

Last week, the Arizona Republic reported that Arizona has become the drug gateway to the nation, with record seizures of marijuana (more seizures occurred in Arizona than occurred in the other three border states combined) and massive amounts of meth, cocaine and heroin entering the country. Mexico supplies an estimated 90 percent of the meth entering Arizona, and Phoenix has become the nation's hub for meth distribution and related identity theft. Mexican border cities have become centers of murder and violence.

Although Thomas was not aware of a terrorist entering the nation illegally across the Mexican border and committing a terrorist act, he pointed out that could change at any time given the large number of illegal crossings occurring annually.

Thomas also questioned why Governor Janet Napolitano devoted only a small fraction of the tail end of her State of the State address yesterday to the border crisis. This was despite the fact that the issue figured prominently in last November's elections and four initiatives cracking down on illegal immigration passed overwhelmingly. "This issue requires continued leadership and commitment," he noted.
http://www.intellectualconservative.com/2007/maricopa-county-attorney-asks-why-national-guard-on-border-retreated-from-armed-gunmen-2/

First thing I wondered when I heard this is if they had ammunition.

mrg666
01-11-2007, 06:47 AM
First thing I wondered when I heard this is if they had ammunition.
they are not soldiers i dont mean to be offensive to the national gaurd here
if they are having this sort of trouble then the pro's should come in

Mr. P
01-11-2007, 09:12 AM
In the last few days I heard they were not armed. If true that does change things.

Gaffer
01-11-2007, 04:22 PM
It was covered for one day and dropped by the media.

They were probably unarmed and I know their hands are tied in what they can do. Posse comotatus (sp) should not apply to them when stationed along the border. They are dealing with foriegn invaders there which is well within their relm of responsiblity.

Hugh Lincoln
01-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Someone yelled "racist" and they all became ashamed of themselves and dropped their weapons to surrender.

Dilloduck
01-13-2007, 09:31 PM

They were probably unarmed and I know their hands are tied in what they can do. Posse comotatus (sp) should not apply to them when stationed along the border. They are dealing with foriegn invaders there which is well within their relm of responsiblity.

Ever ask yourself why EVERYONE is turning a blind eye to the Mexican invasion? It's almost as if someone has invited them. I wonder who is doing that?

Pale Rider
01-14-2007, 01:17 AM
Ever ask yourself why EVERYONE is turning a blind eye to the Mexican invasion? It's almost as if someone has invited them. I wonder who is doing that?

Start with president bush and work your way down. They should all be tried for treason.

CSM
01-14-2007, 08:06 AM

Make no mistake, Guardsmen are indeed soldiers. The vast majority of them are as professional (if not more so) than active duty soldiers. I suspect the problem is more of rules of engagement than anything else. My nderstanding is that Guard and Reserve units stationed on the border are not allowed to carry ammo nor engage illegals in an way.

I don't know why anyone would be surprised at this; the current philosophy is that if a citizen is in a situation where physical bodily harm could occur, they should run away and let the police handle it. Soldiers such as these four Guardsmen would most certainly be investigated and tried and probably sued if they had done anything BUT run!

I wont even go into what happens to soldiers who fire their weapons in combat ...

Dilloduck
01-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Start with president bush and work you way down. They should all be tried for treason.

You better not restrict you treason to only government "officials" or you'll miss a bunch.

Gunny
01-14-2007, 11:29 AM

I think posse comitatus only applies if the Guard is federalized. Otherwise, they belong to the Governor of the state and can be deployed as necessary.

I think it is stupid to put them in uniform on the border on guard duty, and not arm them.

Gunny
01-14-2007, 11:36 AM

Nat'l Guardsmen go through the Army boot camp for initial training and, and go to Army schools for MOS training. A good percentage of the Guard is prior service, meaning they have done at least one hitch in one branch of the armed forces.

True, they are not Guardsmen as a profession, but I would disagree that they aren't soldiers.

If you don't have any ammo and people start shooting at you, what are YOU going to do? I'm not going to hang around and see whether or not I can deflect bullets.

Dilloduck
01-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Let's face it. In spite of the wishes of the American people someone has decided that we need cheap labor in America. No one cares about the negative side of being invaded by "slave" labor. They don't have to live with the problem. Much like Congressmen who do not have to rely on the social security system nor do they contribute to it.

Pale Rider
01-14-2007, 04:08 PM
You better not restrict you treason to only government "officials" or you'll miss a bunch.

Very true, i.e., the businesses that employ illegals. But, it's not treasonous to hire an illegal. It's just illegal. Businesses aren't charged with protecting our borders and controlling illegal entry. The government is.

There's a lot wrong here with our elected officials ignoring what's going on, on the border. This will be the single most important issue to me influencing who I vote for, for president. If it is with enough others as well, maybe then we'll see something REAL done about it.

Dilloduck
01-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Very true, i.e., the businesses that employ illegals. But, it's not treasonous to hire an illegal. It's just illegal. Businesses aren't charged with protecting our borders and controlling illegal entry. The government is.

How about corporations that "encourage" the government to do nothing about the Mexican invasion?

Pale Rider
01-14-2007, 04:39 PM
How about corporations that "encourage" the government to do nothing about the Mexican invasion?

Conspirators.