PDA

View Full Version : Glen Beck Global warming

Classact
03-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Glen Beck had a dude on that wants to sue Al Gore for lying to the world about global warming. He wants a debate in the form of facts in a trial to allow a judge to see who is lying.

Would you support a fact finding trial on global warming?

Would the thawing of all the ice in the world raise ocean levels? I froze a glass of water last night and it expanded but when I thawed it this morning it resulted in less and not more water and space occupied.

But the dude on Glen Beck says both polls have grown this year and have more ice... will this result in the ocean shrinking... will we have larger beaches if more ice freezes on the polls or will it cause flooding since the ice expands?

theHawk
03-04-2008, 09:15 AM
90% of the world's ice is in the Antarctic, and it has been growing.

Al Gore is a fear-mongering liar.

JohnDoe
03-04-2008, 10:10 AM
90% of the world's ice is in the Antarctic, and it has been growing.

Al Gore is a fear-mongering liar.

ummmmmmm, i think you might need to recheck your opinion on Antartica! :slap:

Antarctic Ice Sheet Is Melting Rapidly
New Study Warns Of Rising Sea Levels

By Juliet Eilperin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, March 3, 2006; Page A01

The Antarctic ice sheet is losing as much as 36 cubic miles of ice a year in a trend that scientists link to global warming, according to a new paper that provides the first evidence that the sheet's total mass is shrinking significantly.

The new findings, which are being published today in the journal Science, suggest that global sea level could rise substantially over the next several centuries.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now, to the question of the thread, my answer is no, it does not belong in a trial, in a court room....

the free market and free world of minds and scientists can determine on their own what is as close to truth as they can come....without being gods.

And al did not make up the info, it was given to him from scientists....he was the messenger, but not the one creating this stuff or making this stuff up.

Scientists need to duke this out, as they do all other theories or hypothesis that they come up with imo.

jd

Dilloduck
03-04-2008, 10:34 AM
[QUOTE=Classact;211665]Would you support a fact finding trial on global warming?

QUOTE]

As long as I didnt have to pay for it. :laugh2:

Nukeman
03-04-2008, 10:40 AM
how about this though, which is from the "current year" not 2 years ago.

The Southern Hemisphere sea ice area narrowly surpassed the previous historic maximum of 16.03 million sq. km to 16.17 million sq. km. The observed sea ice record in the Southern Hemisphere (1979-present) is not as long as the Northern Hemisphere. (meaning it has not been tracked as long as the North Pole) Prior to the satellite era, direct observations of the Southern Hemisphere sea ice edge were sporadic.

or this:

http://www.worldclimatereport.com/index.php/2007/01/18/arctic-forecast-nordic-sea-ice-expansion/

In an article recently appearing in the Journal of Geophysical Research, Dmitry Divine and Chad Dick (2006) of the Norwegian Polar Institute report on their use of historical observations of ice cover in the Nordic Seas region to construct time series of warm season ice edge position dating back to 1750. Their particular search for a climate change signal is important for three reasons. First, as an insulator between the ocean and the atmosphere, as an effective reflector of solar radiation, and as a modifier of atmospheric and oceanic circulation, sea ice cover has a significant impact on global climate. Second, the Nordic Seas region, which is inclusive of the Iceland, Greenland, Norwegian, and Barents seas, is a focal point for the global climate due to its primary role in driving the global oceanic thermohaline circulation. It is in this region that excess fresh water from melting ice in association with global warming is theorized to impact the thermohaline circulation enough to generate significant climate changes worldwide. (Alarmists hope that this evokes in your mind scenes from the movie Day After Tomorrow.) Third, Divine and Dick use data generated through direct observation of ice conditions, which allowed them to construct a historical record of a length that far surpasses those of sea ice studies that rely on satellite-derived ice cover products. Divine and Dick note that many studies “have revealed a dramatic retreat of ice extent over the past decades in almost all regions where sea ice exists as a seasonal or perennial phenomenon.” However, (and this is a big caveat) Divine and Dick point out that “debate continues over whether the recent shrinkage of ice cover gives direct evidence of global warming caused by human activity or is mainly a part of a secular cycle.” The 30-year record of satellite sensing of sea ice “has shed light on the spatial and temporal patterns of seasonal and interannual variability in ice extent and concentrations, but is still too short for resolving the multi-year variability in ice cover.”

Records of ice extent in the Nordic Seas region date to the mid-17th century, primarily in the form of ship logs and diaries early in the record and airborne and satellite observations later in the record. The data are sparse until the latter half of the 19th century when sealing and whaling in the region became popular. Data from 1850 to present are considered to be rather complete and the sea ice data for this period collectively represent one of the few data sets with direct measurements of climate conditions dating back more than a century. Divine and Dick note the importance of the period from a climate change perspective, as the 150+ years include well-known “Arctic cooling (1880s–1910s, 1960s–1970s) and warming (1920s–1930s, 1980s–1990s) events as well as the recent significant reduction of ice extent..........

Last paragraph,
Based on the findings of the work, Divine and Dick offer an interesting forecast for the Nordic seas region of the Arctic: “We suppose therefore that during decades to come, as the negative phase of the thermohaline circulation evolves, the retreat of ice cover may change to an expansion.” An expansion of Arctic sea ice! Now that’s a forecast that you probably haven’t heard anywhere else!

forgot this one as well:
http://icecap.us/index.php/go/joes-blog/a_new_record_for_antartic_total_ice_extent

While the news focus has been on the lowest ice extent since satellite monitoring began in 1979 for the Arctic, the Southern Hemisphere (Antarctica) has quietly set a new record for most ice extent since 1979.

This can be seen on this graphic from this University of Illinois site The Cryosphere Today, which updated snow and ice extent for both hemispheres daily. The Southern Hemispheric areal coverage is the highest in the satellite record, just beating out 1995, 2001, 2005 and 2006. Since 1979, the trend has been up for the total Antarctic ice extent.

Yurt
03-04-2008, 10:43 AM
i don't really think there are any conclusive facts that would allow a sole judge to make a decision. so much is unknown. it would really come down to whose expert witnesses the judge believe.

Nukeman
03-04-2008, 10:46 AM
What most forget is that if you only focus on ONE aspect of a cycle you can make it look like anythign you want.

Are we going through global changes YES are we the ONLY contributing factor NO, Can we stop it probably not. Can we conserve and recycle YES.

Dilloduck
03-04-2008, 10:53 AM
By now most people are aware that the founder of The Weather Channel, John Coleman, said global warming is "the greatest scam in history" last November.

On Monday, while speaking at the 2008 International Conference on Climate Change being held in New York City, Coleman took his criticisms further by advocating that all those involved in the sale and marketing of carbon credits, including Al Gore, should be sued "to finally put some light on the fraud of global warming.”

As reported over at the Business & Media Institute by my colleague Jeff Poor (emphasis added throughout, h/t to many

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/03/04/weather-channel-founder-sue-al-gore-expose-global-warming-fraud

I assume the trial would be pertain more to the carbon credits and not specifically global warming. Like--Is it fraud to sell indulgences to pollute ?

JohnDoe
03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
how about this though, which is from the "current year" not 2 years ago.

or this:

http://www.worldclimatereport.com/index.php/2007/01/18/arctic-forecast-nordic-sea-ice-expansion/

forgot this one as well:
http://icecap.us/index.php/go/joes-blog/a_new_record_for_antartic_total_ice_extent
Thank you Nuke! All great articles!!!

one of them lead me to this study by Ohio State,

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-02/osu-atd021207.php
which basically says....it is MUCH MORE COMPLEX than any of us make it out to be....not simply global warming by man's hands....

Anyway, one of the articles speaks of the ice diminishing on the Antartic's edges but the ice thickening in the center, thus not losing the extent of the ice as much as it appears on some model projections.

Anyway, thanks again for the interesting reads...

jd

manu1959
03-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Glen Beck had a dude on that wants to sue Al Gore for lying to the world about global warming. He wants a debate in the form of facts in a trial to allow a judge to see who is lying.

Would you support a fact finding trial on global warming?

Would the thawing of all the ice in the world raise ocean levels? I froze a glass of water last night and it expanded but when I thawed it this morning it resulted in less and not more water and space occupied.

But the dude on Glen Beck says both polls have grown this year and have more ice... will this result in the ocean shrinking... will we have larger beaches if more ice freezes on the polls or will it cause flooding since the ice expands?

if the ice is floating in water the level will either drop or stay the same....if the ice is on land and melts into the water the level will rise.....

Classact
03-04-2008, 11:58 AM
if the ice is floating in water the level will either drop or stay the same....if the ice is on land and melts into the water the level will rise.....Thanks!

And, thanks for all the imput from those participating! The people Mr. Beck talked with sound rather professional and don't seem to be using emotions to support an agenda unlike Al Gore and the UN.

The Glenn Beck show will have a second interview with these folks on the Wednesday show at 5:00PM eastern I think, I watch it at 6:00-7:00 here on Alantic Standard time. I highly recommend watching the show.

I usually watch Fox News but recently watch CNN several times a day for a more liberal view... oddly the two CNN shows (Glenn Beck and Lou Dobbs) at 5:00-6:00PM represent the most conservative side of CNN.

03-04-2008, 12:19 PM
If he wants to sue and can make a case, I say go ahead.

But jus remember, science isnt determined by a court of law, neither is truth necessarily. Facts and judges can be manipulated.