PDA

View Full Version : P-51

Sitarro
03-04-2008, 08:43 AM
I found this shot the other day, It is a P-51 with the same paint scheme my father's had. I didn't like the landing gear, background, nose art or assorted other things so I took them out...... looks more like my dad's Mustang now. :salute:

hjmick
03-04-2008, 10:25 AM
The P-51 was a great plane. My personal preference from that era is the P-38 Lightning. If we're talking modern, the SR-71 is still an amazing aircraft, it's retirement was, in my opinion, premature.

manu1959
03-04-2008, 04:01 PM
I found this shot the other day, It is a P-51 with the same paint scheme my father's had. I didn't like the landing gear, background, nose art or assorted other things so I took them out...... looks more like my dad's Mustang now. :salute:

modified to be a two seater.....?

diuretic
03-04-2008, 04:10 PM
The P-51 was a great plane. My personal preference from that era is the P-38 Lightning. If we're talking modern, the SR-71 is still an amazing aircraft, it's retirement was, in my opinion, premature.

There was a Blackbird in the Seattle air museum, well there was, been a few years since I was there. I nearly nicked my finger on the edge of the wings, they were like a razor. I agree, a remarkable aircraft, the blokes who flew them must have had some skill and courage.

Sitarro
03-04-2008, 05:03 PM
modified to be a two seater.....?

Most P-51s you see today are converted to two seaters, a lot are obvious because of a taller, less rounded canopy. There was radio equipment and a fuselage, fuel tank back there behind the pilot in the original planes. This one's canopy seems to be more streamlined in the rear, they were originally more rounded.

hjmick
03-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Most P-51s you see today are converted to two seaters, a lot are obvious because of a taller, less rounded canopy. There was radio equipment and a fuselage, fuel tank back there behind the pilot in the original planes. This one's canopy seems to be more streamlined in the rear, they were originally more rounded.

It's still a beautiful machine.

manu1959
03-04-2008, 05:08 PM

cool thanks.....used to love watching these fly at the reno air races....

Mr. P
03-04-2008, 05:09 PM
The P-51 is one of the few old aircraft I would like to fly.

manu1959
03-04-2008, 05:10 PM

i have been told spitfires rank right up there.....?

Mr. P
03-04-2008, 05:21 PM

Oh I'll bet they're a kick in the ass too!

Sitarro
03-04-2008, 05:25 PM
There was a Blackbird in the Seattle air museum, well there was, been a few years since I was there. I nearly nicked my finger on the edge of the wings, they were like a razor. I agree, a remarkable aircraft, the blokes who flew them must have had some skill and courage.

What you saw there was not a standard SR-71, it is much rarer. Originally designed as an interceptor and called the YF-12, it was turned into a very fast photographic platform...... SR-71. The one in the Boeing museum is a YF-12 that was converted to a M-21, ad the D-21 drone and it is called the M/D-21. This one has a pilotless drone that was designed to be launched to fly into the most dangerous target areas for reconnaissance.

Sitarro
03-04-2008, 05:27 PM

Most beautiful wing ever.

Sitarro
03-04-2008, 05:32 PM

My dad went to his grave wanting to get back in the cockpit of a P-51 one more time, every time he would see an episode of "Wings"with Mustangs in it, he would say he would jump in one tomorrow if he could. I would like to think he is rolling one in his Heaven right now.

diuretic
03-04-2008, 07:03 PM
What you saw there was not a standard SR-71, it is much rarer. Originally designed as an interceptor and called the YF-12, it was turned into a very fast photographic platform...... SR-71. The one in the Boeing museum is a YF-12 that was converted to a M-21, ad the D-21 drone and it is called the M/D-21. This one has a pilotless drone that was designed to be launched to fly into the most dangerous target areas for reconnaissance.

Excellent - thanks for the info on that. That museum was incredible. Anyway, thread drift over :coffee:

namvet
05-07-2008, 08:31 AM
the P-51 was under powered with its original engine. but when they got it to England the brits dropped in a rolls royce merlin and a legend was born.

mb6_KW-DOxs

glockmail
05-07-2008, 09:02 AM
the P-51 was under powered with its original engine. but when they got it to England the brits dropped in a rolls royce merlin and a legend was born.

So it was the Brits who named it the Mustang. After the American feral horse, no doubt. It has always been my favorite plane. :clap:

Pepper
05-11-2008, 04:45 AM
Your Dad was a Great Man, Sitarro. We appreciate his service to our Country.

namvet
07-09-2008, 05:30 PM
some in here. good photos of WW2 birds. looks like hi def

chino (chino)

http://home.comcast.net/~bzee1b/Chino/DSZ_5410.jpg

Sitarro
07-09-2008, 05:58 PM
some in here. good photos of WW2 birds. looks like hi def

chino (chino)

http://home.comcast.net/~bzee1b/Chino/DSZ_5410.jpg

That guy gets some really great shots, his bird shots are phenomenal. Thanks for bringing him back to our attention.

namvet
07-09-2008, 07:11 PM
P-51 Cadillac of the skies! from the movie Empire of the sun

1ouJ_WyS9v8

darin
07-15-2008, 10:28 AM
VERY good job processing, Sitaro. :) Great shot.

Sitarro
07-18-2008, 05:19 AM
VERY good job processing, Sitaro. :) Great shot.

Thanks D but I can't take credit for the shot, I found it on the net and messed with it to look more like my Dad's.

namvet
07-25-2008, 04:21 PM
North American P-51 Mustang Pilot Training Film

just click the blue tabs for realplayer or the green to download to WMP.

training film (training film)

Sitarro
07-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Hey nam,

I posted this a couple of years ago but I want you to see it. I did some restoring work on this photograph of my Dad's P-51. Thought you might like it. Same paint job as the one at the beginning of the thread. Look at how much cooler this canopy looks than the civilian version, beautiful line.

namvet
07-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Hey nam,

I posted this a couple of years ago but I want you to see it. I did some restoring work on this photograph of my Dad's P-51. Thought you might like it. Same paint job as the one at the beginning of the thread. Look at how much cooler this canopy looks than the civilian version, beautiful line.

cool. how old is the photo??? was taken here over over in EU ????

Sitarro
07-27-2008, 06:48 PM
cool. how old is the photo??? was taken here over over in EU ????

That photo is 64 years old, shot at Martlesham, England, at the Martlesham Heath air base.

To Psycho, that didn't believe my Dad's story....... he would have been 83 years old this year - 64 years is 19........ he was 19 years old in that Mustang, youngest in the 356th Fighter Group.:salute:

namvet
07-27-2008, 06:59 PM
That photo is 64 years old, shot at Martlesham, England, at the Martlesham Heath air base.

To Psycho, that didn't believe my Dad's story....... he would have been 83 years old this year - 64 years is 19........ he was 19 years old in that Mustang, youngest in the 356th Fighter Group.:salute:

mine died in dec of 97. before he left me he gave me a VHS tape of the cruiser he served on in ww2. I have to figue out some day how to put that on a DVD. I also have the flag from his funeral. god bless em all !!!!
:salute:

Sitarro
07-27-2008, 11:08 PM
mine died in dec of 97. before he left me he gave me a VHS tape of the cruiser he served on in ww2. I have to figue out some day how to put that on a DVD. I also have the flag from his funeral. god bless em all !!!!
:salute:

Before my Dad died, my brother got him to sit down in front of a camera and tell his life story, at the correct time my mother joined him in the film and told their story, married 57 years before he died a day after their anniversary.

Yes, they were a great generation, a lot to try to live up to.:salute: I'm positive that a majority of them would want to kick that arrogant punk, Obama's ass.

glockmail
07-28-2008, 04:08 AM
Hey nam,

What do the diamonds painted on the cowl signify?

Sitarro
07-28-2008, 04:40 AM
What do the diamonds painted on the cowl signify?

The Blue Diamond pattern represented the 356th Fighter Group of the 8th Air Force. He was with the 359th Fighter Squadron. His Squadron is pictured below. That's him with the Cocker Spaniel in front of him, Taffy. He brought her back to the States when he returned.:salute:

You get a pretty good perspective of how huge that 4 bladed prop is on the P-51. Ya wouldn't want to hand crank that unit.