PDA

View Full Version : Who's nominations system is more fair?

The Reverend
03-04-2008, 12:21 PM
And why do you think that?

hjmick
03-04-2008, 12:34 PM
I have to go with the Republicans based on my understanding of the delegate system. My understanding goes something like...

The Democrats: The delegates are not bound to vote for their committed candidate from the word go, first ballot they are permitted to vote which ever way they choose. The "super delegates" count for what? Seven or so? Whatever, it's more than one.

The Republicans: Republican delegates are bound to their committed candidate for the first ballot, if, after those ballots are counted, there is no clear nominee, delegates are free to vote anyway they wish.

If my understanding of the way the two parties work their conventions is not accurate, I may need to re-evaluate my position.

And don't get me started on the whole refusal to seat delegates from Florida and Michigan. Big deal, the moved their primaries up, get over it. Nice way to unify the party, by disenfranchising the voters of two important states. Nice move, Howard.

manu1959
03-04-2008, 01:30 PM
And why do you think that?

the rusian and cuban systems....the leader picks his successor....then the people vote to approve his selection.....

The Reverend
03-04-2008, 04:24 PM
:slap:
:laugh2:
Those weren't choices funny guy

manu1959
03-04-2008, 04:55 PM
:slap:
:laugh2:
Those weren't choices funny guy

your question was very open ended......you should be more specific....

The Reverend
03-04-2008, 04:59 PM
your question was very open ended......you should be more specific....

Ummm the poll DID say Democrat or Republican.

The Reverend
03-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Republican, we don't have super delegates that can change the tide away from the popular vote.

manu1959
03-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Republican, we don't have super delegates that can change the tide away from the popular vote.

they can on the second vote.......

manu1959
03-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Ummm the poll DID say Democrat or Republican.

don't participate in polls.....but if i did i would say the dems...with proratta delegates it seems to reflect the vote of the people in proportion to the vote.....super delegates...not so much.....so neither....

Trigg
03-04-2008, 09:36 PM
There are things I don't like about both sides.

Republicans shouldn't award states as winner take all, I think that's unfair especially in close races.

Democrates are odd with the super delegates, that's just confusing.